• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Dear Brother, Sgt. Frog, Kashimashi, Nyanbo!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:32 am Reply with quote
Good old Sgt. Frog! I still vividly remember that episode with the parody of 'War of the Worlds' (the old 50s version). The scene where the robotic head which probes the house was spot on: the head managed to look like in the movie while at the same time looking completely Keronian!
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:44 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Quote:
The company's release of Project A-Ko will no longer be a restored upscale, as the company has been able to procure an original 35mm film with the assistance of AnimEigo's Robert Woodhead.

The best part about this is that Robert wasn't even actively looking for A-Ko's master. He just happened to notice a clerical error that prevented people from checking a specific location, likely while he was on the hunt for MADOX-01's master for his own upcoming Kickstarter campaign, which itself was only lost because the sole paper that revealed its location was an old fax that was nearly torn to shreds.

Some once-thought-lost materials are found in salt mines, others in private collections, and some are just tossed into random cabinets that no one bothers to check, because of stupid pieces of paper.

It's always nice to see Anime companies working together to find things like this!
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:54 am Reply with quote
Not much for me this time since I already have the Anime Sols discs for Dear Brother, but I guess I'll upgrade. Really happy to hear about the Project A-Ko discovery, even if I'm not sure I'm interested enough to buy it. It's always great when something thought to be lost is found.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:02 am Reply with quote
Invalid: If you like Fujiko, I came up with 'Moeko'. Anyway, TMS must be asking a lot for Part V, if it hasn't been licensed by now. Also, I hope Retrocrush gets to keep the Dear Brother stream, and that TezukaPro doesn't take it down.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:08 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
The existing DVDs of Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~ are notoriously difficult to find, particularly the “Vocal Collection” which includes the dub. So, it’ll be nice to have back.

Tell me about it. I know it's somewhere in my collection, I just forgot it existed.
... ah, found it. It was next to Aoi and Mutsuki, a pair of queens.... which I condensed Space pirate Mito into.

It's all connected, I just have to remember how sometimes.

Last edited by Animegomaniac on Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:08 am Reply with quote
I always remember Kashimashi as the show with the most stupid episodes ever, the one with the candy floss. A lot of people seem to like Sgt. Frog, I wonder why the DVD sales were so low back when Funimation released it.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:40 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
A lot of people seem to like Sgt. Frog, I wonder why the DVD sales were so low back when Funimation released it.

Kind of seems like comedy anime (with the arguable exception of romantic comedy) is a real hard sell. Lots of people remember Shin-Chan, The Super Milk-Chan Show, Nerima Daikon Brothers, etc., but did anyone buy them?

It's also possible that Funimation is just geared to bigger releases, so something nichey like Sgt. Frog doesn't suit their style when early-2010s Funimation is selling copies of Dragon Ball Z and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood left and right. A small, nimble publisher like Discotek might make much more sense for the title.
GATSU wrote:
Anyway, TMS must be asking a lot for Part V, if it hasn't been licensed by now.

Daughter and I have been watching the dub on Hulu, and it's super weird to have a streaming dub but no prospect of a physical release on the horizon.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Discotek Media also provided updates on its previously announced and upcoming releases. The company's release of Project A-Ko will no longer be a restored upscale, as the company has been able to procure an original 35mm film with the assistance of AnimEigo's Robert Woodhead. The film will now be used for a new transfer.

Wow. Very much wow.

I very well might buy Diskotek's new issue of Project A-ko given this, not only for the quality of the release, but the humbly remarkable circumstances of it. Project A-ko is plenty entertaining and impressive, but it was also the first time that I watched anime and recognized it as such when The Sci-Fi Channel happened to show it as part of an all-day anime marathon while I was home sick from elementary school. (I believe that the robot fight scene in the sample clip is exactly when I came into the film for the first time *gulp* twenty five or so years ago, provided that my mind isn't just lying to me by fabricating memories to reassure me that my existence precedes this very moment, assuming that even my present state of being is real...)

My interest and especially purchasing of anime has diminished sharply, but this is too sentimental a case to not briefly stimulate it.

Discotek licensing Dear Brother... is interesting, but it mostly reminds me that I never even unwrapped my copies of the Anime Sols releases that I suspect have widely faded from recollection.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:25 am Reply with quote
YESSSSSSS finally I can get Dear Brother! I'll be getting Kashimashi too.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:55 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Quote:
after ADV Films had licensed but not released the anime.

Wow, I never realized this. As hard as ADV pushed Sgt. Frog through its Newtype USA magazine, I assumed they had released something at some point. Man, late 2000s were weird.

From what I remember that had even dubbed episodes but licenses was lost.

Quote:
"Here is what Wikipedia says about: ADV Films had originally added a brief teaser page to their website, announcing their licensing of the anime. The site turned to static before playing a short clip of Keroro dancing to "Afro Gunso," then leaving the message "hacked by the frog." This was followed by a press release from ADV on November 20, 2006, stating that they had licensed all Sgt. Frog properties (except the manga, which was already licensed by Tokyopop) for the US. It was once confirmed that the anime dub would be released on DVD in the United States in February 2007. However, ADV Films had never confirmed a release date. ADV announced at Comic-Con International 2007 that the US release date had been delayed because of TV negotiations but would not comment on which networks they were talking to. In a DVD included with the December issue of Newtype USA was an English-language trailer for Sgt. Frog released by ADV, with voices for Keroro (said to be voiced by Vic Mignogna, Natsumi, Fuyuki, Aki, and the narrator. ADV was 90% done on getting a deal with the show, though they created a separate team to work specifically on it that included people from Summit Entertainment (the company that worked with 4Kids Entertainment during the time they had Pokémon). They had dubbed three episodes, but they were dubbed three times because ADV created three different pilot-packages for television to see which one worked the best. They made an otaku/fan pilot, a mass-market pilot, and a kids' pilot. They received positive responses from three different networks. Cartoon Network liked the mass-market pilot, while Nickelodeon liked the kids' pilot. Nickelodeon told them that they would air the show if ADV got the merchandising rights. However, as of July 4, 2008, the English license for the first 51 episodes of the Sgt. Frog anime was transferred to Funimation Entertainment through a deal with Sojitz."
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:37 am Reply with quote
I might get Dear Brother this time around. I bought the first Anime Sols set and kind of regret not getting the rest.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:41 am Reply with quote
Interesting that Sgt Frog is still streaming both subbed and dubbed on Funimation but I guess they have the streaming rights till they expire.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:53 pm Reply with quote
For those curios reborn which has over 200 episodes was released in two sets . So I imagine Sgt frog will be 3 to 4 at most . And reborn has been on sale several times for less than fifty a set. So it won't be hard to get all of sgt frog for under a couple 100 bucks .
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:37 pm Reply with quote
The complete Sgt. Frog TV series caught my attention.
I'm guessing its gonna be FUNi-dubbed for the first two volumes,
and subbed only for all subsequent volumes. Cool.

What suprised me is Project A-ko getting a proper HD transfer.
I long thought the original film elements were lost to the sands of time.
This is definitely great news.
sdsichero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:52 pm Reply with quote
OMG! One of my favorites, Sgt. Frog! I hope I can afford all seasons.

Also wish we'd get the rest of the manga. I buy them from Japan, but not being able to read it, it loses some of its effectiveness (though the illustrations are still hilarious).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3