• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli Producer: Hayao Miyazaki's 'How Do You Live?' Film's Animation Is Half Finished

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Suzuki further stated that he persuaded Goro Miyazaki to use 3D CG instead of the cel-shading CG he used in Ronja the Robber's Daughter.

So it's all this guy's fault??
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Cel-shading never, ever works for me, so using non-cel-shaded renders is at least a step up IMO. The bigger problem is that the CG in the film looks like it could have come from any major studio. There's nothing uniquely Ghibli about it. Of course, the biggest problem is that the movie (at least the version that aired on Japanese TV) isn't all that memorable and seems to be missing most of its ending.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:55 am Reply with quote
I hope this final chapter (changing of the guard) and Ghibli can go through with minimal regrets. Though I think their days as the reigning champs are long over. Will Hayao leave a greater legacy in animation than Tezuka, his long passed rival? I will say, no. Keep working, but remember, take care of yourselves.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1