• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Evangelion: 3.0+1.0: Thrice Upon A Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:39 am Reply with quote
Thank you very much for the review. As for endings, I've already been satisfied with how the manga ends, but this could be a good approach too.

You know, despite everything, I still have my fingers crossed for an anime adaptation of Evangelion ANIMA. Still really curious about what could have been if the series had stayed its course as a 'mostly mecha' anime.
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Wish we could have heard Zac's opinion, sad.
gedata

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:30 pm Reply with quote
3 movies in and the Rebuild series has yet to really justify it's own existence to me. Hopefully the 4th proves that there was a point to this 14 year rigmarole.
3rdImpakt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:17 pm Reply with quote
One thing I have to disagree (or at least feel the need to mention) is in the music section. While everything you've said is present and does feel like what we've come to expect, there are THREE English songs played during the first half of the film, in full, which sound nothing like music we have heard in the serise. I just feel like this is an important thing to mention in the music section, was definitely surprised while watching.
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I admit I've peaked ahead at spoilers regarding Eva: 3.0+1.0 online elsewhere and from the sounds of it... I too am content with the resolution and the answer that Anno finally gives us.

That said, oh boy, are the shippers going to be mad about who Shinji ended up with.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I spoiled the entire film for myself. Very happy with how it ends.
Now I wait for a BD...
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:32 am Reply with quote
Saw it tonight, and I have some mixed feelings. On the one hand, I really, really loved the character development in the first half. On the other hand, I agree that the action scenes, for all their spectacle, were confusing, overblown, and ultimately uninvolving.

The ending's going to take another viewing or two to process.

I do feel like I missed something pretty important somewhere along the line, so subsequent viewings may improve it for me. I think this is the first time I feel wary of spoilers even *after* seeing the movie in question.

Observation: this needs to be seen on a gigantic screen because a lot of the shot compositions really make use of that wide aspect ratio.

Very curious to see what Anno and Khara will do next (animation-wise), now that this massive Eva project is finally off their backs..
OncelostLu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I quite enjoyed the movie, though I found Mari's new VA to be extremely underwhelming.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:24 am Reply with quote
Would have been cool to see the incredible scale of this thing on a movie or giant IMAX screen.

Overall I really enjoyed it and the first two thirds felt pretty tight so while long and with a slow-paced start I actually enjoyed that pacing since I was totally absorbed into the movie for most of the run. Also, the sharpness of the color work is still distinctive as hell.

They definitely went kinda nuts with all the new enemy units they kept pumping out to get in their way, but the rest was so strong it didn't really take much away.

spoiler[I wish Shinji and Asuka had actually ended up together on screen in the ending but even though that didn't actually happen within the movie they were the two that did admit their feelings for each other over the course of the movie so that was probably satisfying enough regardless how we're supposed to view the ending scene.]

OncelostLu wrote:
I quite enjoyed the movie, though I found Mari's new VA to be extremely underwhelming.

Yeah it's kind of strange, I thought her new voice was fine and not misplaced or anything, but it hasn't really stuck with me despite her importance while some more minor new voices have and despite thinking about the movie all night since finishing it, so I think that's fair and I hadn't watched the previous movies in a long time and jumped straight into this so it's not like I was distracted by comparing it to Trina's version either while watching.

Though like the review mentioned I wouldn't be surprised if some of it is just a consequence of how despite her importance and screen time we still never really got much story with her beyond probably just enough pieces to mostly figure her stuff out.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr VacBob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:38 am Reply with quote
And now that we've all seen it… well, I'm happy with it. It's a relief to not have your last experience be Q 8 years ago!

It was surprisingly comical from beginning to end, with some really self-indulgent parodies (WW2 films, War in Space, toku, itself, and… I think Your Name?), and the pacing isn't perfect - the serious part in the middle is too long and at the end it just starts doing the psychoanalysis you came for without trying to earn it.

The review called the music predictable, but it's actually doing a lot. I heard some other people mention tracks basically lifted from Nadia, but the ship battle in the middle switches to 70s Toei movie music to go with the 70s Toei movie it's parodying, and that song at the end seems to be like playing Komm Süsser Todd backwards to remind you happiness is possible.
leongsh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:52 am Reply with quote
It took so long for this final movie of the Rebuild of Evangelion movie series to come out that I had even put it on my bucket list to watch the 4th and final movie. After watching it, I can put a check mark against this in my bucket list.

Was it a satisfying conclusion to Rebuild of Evangelion movie series? I have mixed feelings about it but I can say that it is a conclusion. While the first quarter of the movie gives us a view of what happened to the world outside the confines of the closed environment we saw in Evangelion 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo, a big chunk of the movie is really catering to those who want the action sequences. And these action sequences had Mari involved in almost all (if not all) of them. It's disappointing that Mari did not have much development over the past 3 movies and even in this 4th movie and yet, she plays a pivotal character in some of the action and the conclusion for Shinji and the movie.

Final thoughts...

Can the Rebuild of Evangelion movie series stand on its own with just these 4 movies? Yes, it does. However, you can squeeze more out of it by watching the original TV series and the associated End of Evangelion movie since it pulled a fair bit of from those into this 4th and final movie which puts more context behind a number of scenes in the resolution portion of the movie towards the end.

Goodbye Evangelion. You've been a cornerstone of my anime interest over the many years. It's been a hell of a ride. Thank you.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:20 am Reply with quote
leongsh wrote:
Can the Rebuild of Evangelion movie series stand on its own with just these 4 movies? Yes, it does. However, you can squeeze more out of it by watching the original TV series and the associated End of Evangelion movie since it pulled a fair bit of from those into this 4th and final movie which puts more context behind a number of scenes in the resolution portion of the movie towards the end.

Yeah, I think that's a good and concise way to put it.

leongsh wrote:
Goodbye Evangelion. You've been a cornerstone of my anime interest over the many years. It's been a hell of a ride. Thank you.

This!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:44 am Reply with quote
Amazing movie experience. It pretty much did all the things I wanted and hoped it would do and then some. I am happy with how things concluded. And Hideaki Anno is a genius.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree, if this is the last we get, I will be satisfied. It's not just the conclusion of the movies, but feel like a true counterpart to End of Evangelion.
Sinsekihokimchiansu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:07 pm Reply with quote
What an epic conclusion to almost a decade in the making anime

Thank so much Anno-san, the cast and everyone involve in the making Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4