• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Khara Warns of Unauthorized Recording, Uploading of Final Evangelion Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:03 am Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
Panino Manino wrote:
Why the japanese still can't understand something so simple? Why make the rest of the world wait months and months to watched their movies? Even when the movie comes out in BD discs they try to prevent people for outside of the island from buy it.
Morons.

The people who make the decision regarding distribution are corporate leadership who are still living in the Showa period, higher up executives who are out-of-touch how consumption habits are outside of Japan. They are not living in the same world as we do.

There is also a degree of "power comes from above" mentality too. You, as the consumer, don't get to dictate the rules of consumption. The companies say we will only release this in theatres, they then expect the consumers just bend over and accept that as the reality. They expect fans to just get down onto our knees and be glad there is anything for us to consume at all.

There is no incentive to consult, hold dialogue, be accountable, be transparent, engage with the audience.

Have you seen the box office results? It still paid off, so trying to go for streaming right now is a moot point, so this is an exercise of futility of something that's out of our reach.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:09 am Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:

It is not a sudden expectation. But what last year demonstrated is that many companies has the capability to put their content on internationally free to access digital platforms. It is not a true logistical barrier. It is revenue barrier. Someone is losing lots of money and blocking this type of release or at least lobbying to maintain the status quo.

That's cherry picking what happened last year. Disney+ made everyone pay $20 for it which people still complained about it and Cinemark theaters refused to play Raya which costed them a lot of money and they ended up losing to the Tom and Jerry movie in the box office. HBO Max only put their movies up for like 30 days and it's only in the US where they did that. Everyone else had to go see it in theaters and HBO Max was nearly sued by Legendary. Universal made people pay through a digital pay per view service like VUDU and AMC threatened to pull their movies from their theater chain. And again with anime movies you have licensing hurdles and it takes time to dub the movie, especially with some anime movies that use celebrity actors that have other schedules to attend to. But anime movies are already nowadays released in the US mere months after release in Japan. Just looking at 2019 anime movies Weathering With You was a six month wait after it came out in Japan, Promare came out in the US four months after Japan, the second MHA movie was a two month wait. Evangelion 3.0 is more the exception than the rule again due to the complications around the English dub.
Swissman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:18 am Reply with quote
It's understandable that Khara has some very harsh reactions to any illegal uploading and distributing of the latest EVA movie. They are a small production company after all and probably depend on a good run of their latest and only movie at the box office where people also tend to buy merchandise related to the running movies; another important source of income which people seem to forget here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:01 am Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
All the people that watched, is looking for or wish to see a camrip are people that are desperate to give money to them! Why the japanese still can't understand something so simple? Why make the rest of the world wait months and months to watched their movies?
I'm pretty sure this is a purely domestic issue, they don't want people to pirate it in Japan. International, they don't care. It's still going to have publishers overseas paying big money to license it, and some people will still hold off for the dub.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:41 am Reply with quote
Many leakers are those who worked on the video productions itself
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:50 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
Panino Manino wrote:
If they don't like the leaks then don't release the movie!

This has got to be the most idiotic quote ever.

If they don't release the movie, they have no profits, no profits means you cant pay the people who worked on it.

The people who leaked it early are robbing the money for the workers that made it. How do you expect people to be compensated for than? Sheesh. >.>

The people who worked on the movie already got paid. All the profits go to the studio/production committee. At least from what I could tell.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:56 am Reply with quote
ZeArNkN wrote:

The people who worked on the movie already got paid. All the profits go to the studio/production committee. At least from what I could tell.
And you know how they got paid? By people going to see and support the previous movies. Companies don't just magically produce money out of thin air.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:09 am Reply with quote
ZeArNkN wrote:

Just as a point of fact that is true, but if the companies don't make money and turn a profit how do you expect them to do more projects? If they don't make money they can't hire the animation studio to do a project for them. So while the animation epople may have already gotten paid it's just for THAT specific project. Without the companies who contracted them making money they won't get more contracts. Thus they get no more work.
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:48 am Reply with quote
Part of the issue at least for me is that right now I don't want to go to the movies. Not until we get the pandemic under control
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Did the studio just advertise that their film has a camrip out there? Lol. This is the type of stuff you need to say nothing about but ok.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:03 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Did the studio just advertise that their film has a camrip out there? Lol. This is the type of stuff you need to say nothing about but ok.

If anything people could watch the camrip and eventually buy the bluray later...
chronos02

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I see so many people worrying about the economic aspect of the movie while completely disregarding the other, most important thing related to this:

The experience.

Camrimps tend to be complete ass (unless, as some have pointed out, someone gets ahold of the digital copies distributed to theatres, critics, etc.), and watching a movie on a PC with inferior image quality (in general ok people with HDR 2000 8k monitors, chill please!) in a poor setup with badly configured color (Though I have to wonder how many cinemas actually calibrate their projectors...) and cheap speakers... well, let's say the experience is at least subpar compared to a cinema (and yes, kids and idiots using their phones/shouting ruin it more, but I consider people that like anime to be smart and go to the very early/late sessions to avoid this).

Khara wants the experience of watching the movie to be superb, moreso after almost 10 years of waiting time, and even more so under the current circumstances; having people stumble upon a camrip on the internet and experiencing the movie in an uncontrolled environment is not something anyone that creates a movie wants for their customers; plus the heat and passion during the waiting before entering the cinema, having the tickets hours or days before burning in your pocket, knowing you're going to watch it after so long is an experience camrip watchers will not go through, so the impact (lol) it will have on them will be much lower and leave less of an impression on them.

Yes, they could've likely contacted the different licensors of the anime in different countries around the world to have a worldwide simultaneous release, but they do not have the experience for that, plus the risk of leaks during the whole ordeal, having different licensors wanting a dub instead of just subs, some countries forcing dubs for cinemas, etc. well... a headache is the least they would go through. It's best for them to release in their home territory, which they know pretty well, and then, once the cat is out of the bag, the other places can take their time to release it in the different territories.

Sadly, as you all know, this will result in overseas people trying to watch the movie ASAP and miss out on the experience (not like it matters much outside of japan tbh, anime releases tend to be absolute crap, with "limited" runs, at weirdo hours, smaller theatres, etc., pretty scummy), however I guess it won't have that much of an effect here, we're already so used to watch stuff online, be it through legal or less legal means that honestly? I doubt even licensors care; eva sells.

What will I do? If I stumble upon a full digital copy, I will watch it, while I preorder the BD release, try to get my hands on limited theatrical ticket extras (anyone remember the red book?), rummage through the internet for rumors on a possible pack release of all the movies together in 4K, drink lots of fanta, and polish my endless rows of figures while I drool about the new ones.

Summing up, the experience is important, but we'd be missing out anyway, meaning Khara is mostly caring about the japanese affected by these leaks.

PS: Is anyone else baffled at the absurdity of 10 years of prison for leaking an entertainment product that is already available in the market? Just block their internet, get a cut of their pay and keep them in check, there's no need to turn them into real criminals by sending them to a bootcamp for them for 10 years, and we pay for their stay? hell no thanks.

PS2: I was having fun, if you feel triggered by my post for whatever reason, breath in and out a few times and simply forget you read this.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I watched a couple of camripped movies when I was young. My thoughts were "uuggghhh".
Not worth wasting my time and ruining my initial experience watching a new movie. Watching horrible camrips also, might give you negative thoughts about the movie, you might not have had, if you had watched it the way it was intended to be watched.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:14 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I watched a couple of camripped movies when I was young. My thoughts were "uuggghhh".
Not worth wasting my time and ruining my initial experience watching a new movie. Watching horrible camrips also, might give you negative thoughts about the movie, you might not have had, if you had watched it the way it was intended to be watched.

Well yeah, camrips suck, but if you really want to see some movie right now I guess they can be useful as a "demo" for the real thing. I mean, back in the old days I've watched countless of trailers at low quality (mostly 320x240, mpeg1!), there wasn't a decent Internet speed at the time, it was that or nothing. Of course people should wait for the official release, but I'm not surpilrised if anyone would like to have a "sneak peak".
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:25 pm Reply with quote
SamusekTDS wrote:
kuma991 wrote:

Oh my god, what's the Moon like? I assume your moral high ground has reached it.

Not trying to offend, I just don't like broad generalities. And I thought the arguments about p2p here were somewhat reductive, especially on the forum of a newssite of an industry effectively built on p2p and the like.

Several manga publishers had record years last year, despite scanlation and p2p being at as high a volume as they've ever been. Not to mention quantity of content being produced and mainstream-ified (quality is another story, but don't get me started on that!). Truly amazing for someone old enough to remember when his mind was blown that a local video store was actually renting out Bubblegum Crisis.

The real issue is that the revenue stream has changed. The good old days of largely physical media sold at massive prices and volume to rental chains as a secondary market is no more, replaced by streaming services paying pennies on the dollar. And so on.

So the arguments are not really taking the whole picture into consideration. I think there are certainly counter-arguments and examples to be made for other perspectives than mine. I just wanted to throw some doubt in there.

See? I still visit Earth from time to time. The moon's just where I keep all my stuff, right next to the Staff of Longinus.

The guy that doesn’t like broad generalities provides one piece of anecdotal evidence , and uses that for justification of such practices as a whole. Hypocrisy is a not a strong enough word for this type of response.

In any case I just don’t see the point in crappy cam rips , I’d rather see the movie as it was intended.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4