• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Khara Warns of Unauthorized Recording, Uploading of Final Evangelion Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RealMTL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Dude, this will stop nothing tbh. But you always help this problem by letting people stream it day one. The best way to stop piracy is the make your product more accessible. It worked for me with the Made in Abyss movie last year.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I know I'd never bother with a cam-rip. But I think the ones who do are the ones who want to rush first to the conversation and spoilers. So they're not the sort to care about the quality.

I'd prefer to watch Eva in a theater as the best experience. But it depends on how long that takes or if it happens at all or if it's convenient to get to. I only managed to catch one of the Rebuild films in theaters because they're usually limited release where they'll play it in the middle of the week on showtimes I couldn't go to because I was working. In the past you'd be lucky to get a limited theaterical run at all.

If Khara can give out a date, then I know I'm going to wait to check it out. If there is still no word by the time the Japanese home video market gets a release, then I'm more tempted to watch it illegally because I personally don't want to get spoiled. They won't lose a sale from me as I already intend to buy the official blu-ray release once it's out, so I imagine most die hard fans do have to face a test against patience as to when they can finally see it.

Anime companies aren't Hollywood. So global releases are an expensive undertaking. There are people you need to pay, and you need to get rated by each country or sometimes each state/province's ratings board before you can legally play a film in theaters and that is costly.

A lot of skids need to get greased and the way things are now is for a good reason and not because of "making more money later" but because they'd risk "losing more money up front."

Also where Hollywood can get away with releasing films abroad with minimal localization as sometimes they just straight up play English films without subtitles in many places thanks to widespread English usage, films in Japanese don't have that advantage, and also whereas worldwide people like Hollywood films, locally in Western markets, foreign films aren't big business outside of rare exceptions.

Things are getting better, Makoto Shinkai's Your Name did pretty well, and maybe Demon Slayer will also do well when it finally arrives. So I'm feeling confident that Eva 4.0 will likely get a limited run by the end of this year or early next year close to the Japanese home video release.
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Well-true to my prediction I found a camrip but damned if I'm gonna watch it. Camrips truly look like shit, I'll just wait for the bluray, thank you.
SamusekTDS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:03 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:

The guy that doesn’t like broad generalities provides one piece of anecdotal evidence , and uses that for justification of such practices as a whole. Hypocrisy is a not a strong enough word for this type of response.

In any case I just don’t see the point in crappy cam rips , I’d rather see the movie as it was intended.

I meant more about using generalities to speak in absolutes which I was not doing (not saying it's DEFINITELY the opposite, just that it's certainly not DEFINITELY what was being stated), and my post was already long-winded enough without spending longer making the case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4