• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fruits Basket the Final

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Kyou-kun is not abusive! Twisted Evil He hurt her arm ONE time when he turned into the monster in season 1. That was so long ago. Characters can change. He will never hurt her like that again. He was just very scared at the time.

motormind wrote:
I know this is shoujo fluff, where abusive boyfriends are the norm

And that is also false....unless you count couples teasing each other before they become couples...but I don't. Where do you get that "abusive boyfriends are the norm"? What shows have displayed this? People say this so much and it angers me because it's not true.

I agree Kyou-kun could have grabbed Kyoko's arm or sleeve or something...but I don't think he was thinking properly since he was panicking about seeing her in the first place.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, I finally caught up and, as I knew it would, this finale made me cry like a baby.

Fruits Basket has held a special place in my heart for 15 years and this anime has reminded me why in so many beautiful ways. Nothing is perfect and this adaptation is no exception to that rule, but the overwhelming majority was positive and for that, it's perhaps my favorite iteration of this franchise.

I'm curious if there is a chance we'll get to see Fruits Basket: Another animated as well.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:11 pm Reply with quote
A FEW of the annoying things about this anime:

1. the main lass' fake falsetto voice is tiresome to listen to (unlike the original anime). And the character, just like many others, is also fake: she behaves nothing like a real person, too cartoonish (though it is expected since it is a cartoon/anime/manga) spoiler[too many of them, including this outsider character, treat a wild criminal cult leader like nothing is happening];

2. the evil spoiler[lass] the cult worships is so genuinely repulsive, disgusting, corrupt person that ZERO sympathy towards this character is generated despite all the supposedly cry-inducing details of this person's plight. The only question left is why the person was not killed off in self-defence or why there is no arrest with decades-long jail time;

3. countless characters are crying, intensely confessing various things to each other, come to shock and discover profound truths about themselves and others in every episode. This is so overboard that it becomes comical by the end of the series. I know this is a shojo project, but there are many other shojo projects which are written way more gracefully rather than being this forceful in its supposedly cry-fest narrative, which really cheapens it;

4. the music per se is quite good, but the quantity of pieces composed is so small that one sad theme gets abused in every episode, and sometimes more than once. It becomes unbearable pretty quickly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8