• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Are the Mages in Fate Such not-so-nice-people?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I object to the position that Waver Velvet is not an asshole. He's absolutely an asshole. He just tends to be an asshole to other not-so-nice-people.

EDIT: rofl @ the word filter
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:00 am Reply with quote
Regardless of the temperament of Fate/'s mages, I just have to take a moment to draw a historical contrast:

Magic in 2000s works (Fate, Rental Magica, Magical Index, etc.) -- "Here's an elaborate system we built up based on massive amounts of historical research."
Magic in 2010s-2020s works -- "Wow, it works just like the JRPGs I used to play before I got hit by a truck and sent to this parallel world!"
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:38 am Reply with quote
I've been a Fate fan for years, and the description of how Magic works was clearer here than I've ever seen it!

Now do an article on The World and whatever the world of the level below is or something. I forget what its called or how it works.
ssjokg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:45 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Xavon wrote:
Emiya Shirou is moral. He is not sane.

The guy is a philanthropist regardless of how much you hate him. Even Sugiyama said Shirou is a kind hero of who will try to protect the weak regardless who writes him especially in the Snow movie where he shows a darker self

Xavon wrote:
I would also argue that Tohsaka Rin is fairly sane and moral, by general societal standards, and is freaking saint by Mage standards

She actually tried killing the only sane mage in the actual Fate visual novel.

The problem is (FSN)Shirou's reasons(Complete lack of self worth, self-gratification, ptsd and survivor's guilt.) and the ways he tries to save others(doesnt matter how much he is hurt).

He could very easily become a lawyer, firefighter etc. but no he becomes almost like Kiritsugu.

And who did Rin try to kill?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2