• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The Promised Neverland Trends in the United States Over "Botched" Anime Ending

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:25 pm Reply with quote
In addition, my two cents is that the story became very trite with a lot of tired tropes thrown together with stupid "shocking" twists/reversals that because of the breakneck pace made the plot seem more than a little chaotic. Plus a lot of over-long tearful melodrama plopped into the mix. If spoiler["Isabella isn't bad after all"], spoiler["let's save the demons because we can and 'cause demons are people too"] and grateful demonsspoiler[ helping Emma and the kids get home to Earth] sounds like a good story direction, then you will love this. If this is all in the manga, then the problem is with the adaptation pace and lack of follow-through on plotlines. I can elaborate but Ugghh...
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:56 am Reply with quote
Y'know, I'm not a manga reader. I have no interest in manga, and if the first season of this series had been the only one animated, I almost certainly wouldn't have ever picked up the manga to continue. I probably would have just read through a plot synopsis at some point to learn how the story progressed. But even that would have been far preferable to seeing the narrative utterly ripped to shreds like what happened here.

I want to grab the entire industry by the shoulders and yell in their faces: if you're not going to give a series a proper adaptation that respects the source material, then don't ****ing adapt it in the first place. Quit treating anime as an afterthought, a callous promotional tool, a meager commercial for some other medium. Treat it right, or don't use it at all.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:15 am Reply with quote
There seems to be a bad trend recently of adapting series that have enough material for multiple seasons into only one cour. Promised Neverland is the most egregious example of this but even Horimiya this season is an example of an anime that could have been better if the anime didn’t speed run through the manga material.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:23 pm Reply with quote
You know, everyone loves bringing up FMA 2003 as a defense of the "overtook the manga with its own story" treatment, but they can never seem to bring up any other examples. Perhaps this is a sign that anime adaptors shouldn't try this sort of thing again.

Hell, there's no excuse this time around because the manga was already finished. They had all the material they'd want to work with. I don't know what executive chose to rush it all in one 12 episode season along with shoving in their own bright ideas for an original plotline, but this season didn't have to be bad. Sadly, like with Tokyo Ghoul, I don't know if we'll ever get a proper adaptation, but we'll always have the manga and first season to look back on.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
There seems to be a bad trend recently of adapting series that have enough material for multiple seasons into only one cour...

Not trying to single you out, just picked yours out since it was one of the last comments on the subject.

Finally watched all of season 2. To be honest I still don't really get the blowback. It is not a great season or anything, but it doesn't seem to me to be so far off the mark to justify the reaction it's getting.

Moreover, from what I can tell, the plot doesn't significantly deviate from the manga, it's just fare more compressed - which for those not following the industry, is a direct reaction to the increased costs of production from the pandemic over the last year (can't/won't shoulder the budget obligation for more than one season of a show that won't have the support of outlying products like a manga). Given how terrible everyone says the manga ending is, being more faithful to that would only work to satisfy a checkbox, not really make anything better.

It should go without saying that these are merely my own observations. A compressed original ending seems to be a combination of wanting to give closure to a series that was popular enough to warrant a new season, while recognizing that the source material had a generally disliked ending, under circumstances that would make even a perfectly plotted development path shudder. The ending we get isn't particularly good. But nor do I think it particularly terrible.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:35 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
Moreover, from what I can tell, the plot doesn't significantly deviate from the manga, it's just far more compressed ... Given how terrible everyone says the manga ending is, being more faithful to that would only work to satisfy a checkbox, not really make anything better.

As far as I’ve seen, the most common complaint about the manga ending is that it’s too rushed. Making it far, far more rushed may not have been the best way to make people happier.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3