• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Winter 2021

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:32 am Reply with quote
However the Wonder Egg Priority will end, I will remember it for the great animation of the girls as they talk and walk together. There is just so much individual character in the way each of them stands or moves, and the faces they make. Also, Rika is great example of lovable asshole that is both truly assholish and actually lovable. Reminds me a bit of Watamote's Kuroku. Other then that, Jujutsu Kaisen was awesome, Spider was great despite limited animation, special mention to Otherside Picnic even if they butchered it somewhat.
I would probably put Laid-Back Camp, Dr Stone and Sk8 if I could keep up with them in this packed season. The episodes I've managed to watch till now did not disappoint.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:30 am Reply with quote
Damn this was just such a good season. The good stuff was really good, while the bad stuff was entertainingly and interestingly bad. Didn't matter what you were into, there was something for you. I'm quite sad it's over, even if spring comes with a plethora of shows I've been really looking forward to.
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:44 am Reply with quote
One of my favorites of this season which as far as I can tell hasn't gotten a mention anywhere would be 2.43: Seiin High School Boys Volleyball Team. It's good because it's about the characters rather than about the sport. When you do it that way, even volleyball can be exciting.

My worst show of the season: Redo of a Healer. After watching episode one it seemed pretty neat and I rushed to download additional episodes. But after watching episode two I rushed to delete every trace of it from my computer.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:15 am Reply with quote
Best: Wonder Egg Priority - Barring a catastrophic conclusion, it should end up as the top quality show of this season and potentially for the whole year.

Runner-up: Attack on Titan Final Season - This is Titan at its finest.

Least good: The Promised Neverland 2 - It had a strong start, but the mega rushed ending is a joke.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:56 am Reply with quote
Okay let me see.

Best: Re:zero
Runnerup: Wonder Egg Priority. My Biggest Suprise ever. I barely touched the magical girl genre in life.
Honorable: Bungo Stray Dogs Wan, Jujutsu Kaisen and Beastars
Worst: Yashahime
Best character: Atsushi Nakajima. Poor Atsushi is taken like trash by the writers in the main series due to his constant torture as it can bring him more drama even in the movie. In Wan, this aspect of the character was omitted and instead Atsushi became a more comical and innocent teen. It gets even better when Uemura starts singing but with Atsushi's pitch or when Atsushi starts playing along with Dazai's antics like that famous dance scene
Snowcat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:56 am Reply with quote
Best: Mushoku Tensei was the most entertaining with some drama, comedy, adventure and high production values.

Runner-up: Wonder Egg Priority was interesting and original but fall to piece in the end. A wasted potential.

Worst: Promised Neverland S2 shouldn't even have been produced. It offers the most boring info dump i have seen in a long time.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Since I already commented once before in this thread, I might as well share what I've watched.

The number of shows I've seen this season as they were airing (loosely speaking) amounted to only two. The first was Attack on Titan: The Final Season, as seen through Toonami's broadcast of the simuldub. While I'm hestitant to call it revelationary (I don't care that it's not a word, that's what I'm going to describe it as), I agree that it's some damn good stuff and well worth the time of those watching it, as hard as it is to get through some of the, shall we say, rougher moments. Not to mention that MAPPA did a great job picking up where WIT left off and making it feel as if, better CGI usage aside, the staff hardly changed at all. I look forward to seeing where this ends with my own eyes, even if I do know some of what will go down. Curse my predilection for reading spoilers...

The other show I watched was... [heavy sigh] Redo of Healer. So much as stating an opinion on a show this steeped in controversy from the word go is a tricky balancing act to manage, one that I don't think I could possibly accomplish in any tasteful manner, especially here. To skew negative would be disingenuous, and to skew positive would be a suicide note. So instead, I'll say the following: this show really is something, and if you dislike it to any degree, I not only understand fully, but I don't blame you for holding that opinion.

As for the others, the only ones I plan on watching in the near future are Promised Neverland S2 once its dub hits Toonami, and the simuldub of SK8 the Infinity once a slot in my non-seasonal anime watching roster opens up. Hopefully I can add Dr. Stone: Stone Wars to the list, too, once Crunchyroll allows [as] to license it for broadcast.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Stretch2424 wrote:
[re] 2.43: Seiin High School Boys Volleyball Team. It's good because it's about the characters rather than about the sport. When you do it that way, even volleyball can be exciting.

I'm not trying to pick on you (you just happened to be the one who said it here Wink), but even the reviewer kept saying that. It's a view that baffles me, because as far as I can see, all sports anime are about the characters and the sport is just the framework, in the same way that fantasy anime are about characters and not castles and costuming. Could you or someone give me an example of a sports anime that you feel is primarily focused on the sport over the characters?

Btw, I really enjoyed the series too. Of the 16 posts in the review thread, 7 were mine and 3 were replies to me. Laughing
kurichan69

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I am laughing so hard at the reviews for Yashahime that someone just asked me "WTF is so funny?!" I've mentioned this before but I quit the show after about 8 episodes and then just enjoyed James' reviews every week. Now I got to enjoy even more hilarious reviews of a craptastic show. Thanks for the laughs!
Saeryen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Best: Tropical-Rouge! Pretty Cure
I adore Pretty Cure. As a whole, the franchise is just so...caring. I just get this feeling that the show itself is telling me everything will be alright.
As for TroPre itself, it's just excellent all around. The main characters are all striking up the courage to be themselves, which is inspiring to me, and Laura is a lot of fun, plus I'm looking forward to her character development (she's selfish right now, but that is definitely going to change). The transformations are a joy to watch, as are the final attacks. The villains are likeable too; Chongire's laziness is hilarious and Numeri's contrast between her words and attacks are chilling. I'm curious about their history and the history of the Mermaid Kingdom. I can't wait to see more of this anime!

Honorable Mentions: Heaven's Design Team, Horimiya, With a Dog AND a Cat, Every Day is Fun
Heaven's Design Team is funny and educational, with great characters. I loved the interactions and development between the characters as well as learning so many interesting facts about animals that I didn't know before!
Horimiya is really nice. It's a mellow slice-of-life romance, which is right up my alley. I do agree that Hori acted a little immature at times but she's a teenager, not an adult, and there are a lot of things about her that I like. Miyamura is wonderful, and the side characters have a lot of depth too. I felt for each one of them. I didn't think I would like Remi very much at first but she turned out to be really awesome.
Dog and Cat is so accurate (I have a dog and a cat too) and funny, and also heartfelt. Easy fave for me.

Worst: N/A, I didn't watch anything I disliked.

I will also mention that I kind of hate seeing all the negative reviews of Yashahime when I plan on watching it after I finish Inuyasha. I know it's very divisive and I'm not saying people can't hate it if they want to, but it seemed like the attitude of one review was yelling at me not to watch it because the reviewer hated it so much, when I just want to reserve judgement until I see it for myself.

I also watched and enjoyed 2.43: Seiin High School Boys' Volleyball Team.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
I will also mention that I kind of hate seeing all the negative reviews of Yashahime when I plan on watching it after I finish Inuyasha. I know it's very divisive and I'm not saying people can't hate it if they want to, but it seemed like the attitude of one review was yelling at me not to watch it because the reviewer hated it so much, when I just want to reserve judgement until I see it for myself.

Though it has gotten a lot of "worst of " mention here, not everyone hated it. I thought it had some issues, but I generally appreciated it as an extension of the Inuyasha franchise. Of the dozen or so series that I followed this past season, it was never the lowest-priority view.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Wonder Egg Priority and So I'm a Spider are my favorites of the season.

As someone who waded through all of the WN, I think it's perfectly fair to write off Mushoku Tensei after the first episode (it really doesn't get any better) but I wouldn't say it was the worst of the season, if only because the bar for Otaku-wish-fulfillment-fantasies is already so low. So my vote here has to go to Yashahime... because it's not just an insultingly bad show, it also goes out of its way to dump all over InuYasha's hard-won "happy ending."

Special mention to Reincarnated as a Slime for being so stunningly mediocre thanks to glacial pacing and an absolutely terrible eye for what material to cut and what material to expand on when doing an adaptation.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It's a view that baffles me, because as far as I can see, all sports anime are about the characters and the sport is just the framework, in the same way that fantasy anime are about characters and not castles and costuming.

It's like people who say "unlike those other mecha shows, this one's about the characters!" or "unlike those other magical girl shows, this one's about the problems that come with being a magical girl!"

They're just sweeping generalizations, that often stem from a lack of familiarity with other works in the genre.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
Best: Tropical-Rouge! Pretty Cure
I adore Pretty Cure. As a whole, the franchise is just so...caring. I just get this feeling that the show itself is telling me everything will be alright.

I'm sort of counting Tropical-Rouge as a spring show, since we're only five episodes in. That said, I'm really enjoying it, and I agree - this particular PreCure feels very reassuring. (And I love how Cure Coral has a defense role, like coral reefs protecting protect sea life.)
Sisyphusson66

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Best: Laid-Back Camp Season 2

A brilliant follow-up to the first season, this was easily the best thing I watched this Winter. The show exuded confidence, fun, and comfort within itself that has gone unmatched amongst the series I watched this season. We got to see the girls individually in a positive look at loneliness and personal growth, and together in a celebration that they worked towards. Nothing was forced, overly elaborate, or too sugary sweet. Laid-Back Camp was itself, and was fantastic for it.

Runner-up: Wonder Egg Priority or Attack on Titan: The Final Season Part 1

This could go either way between these two. At the time of writing, episode 12 still hasn't been released on Funimation, so it could still either end really, really well, or very, very poorly. The way WEP has touched on its themes and issues have been wonderful to discuss with friends and think about in private. The girls and their developments together and apart were some of the most realistic portrayal of teenagers I have seen in anime recently. It is a testament to the strength of the shows characters and themes that even in its more recent stumbles, there are clear ways for it to remain strong and end with impact and grace. Again, it also could go the other way and at the very worst undermine its own message. Either way, at this time, WEP has been a wonderful, difficult series, but one I love.

Biggest Surprise: Attack on Titan: The Final Season Part 1

Before this season, I have had a love/hate relationship with Attack on Titan. It was a series I liked, but not without some reservations from every season. However, this season is where it really clicked for me. It introduced new characters that were complex and interesting, and it made characters that I was beginning to find a little stale vibrant and alive again. This season got me to want to watch the other seasons again, both for entertainment and also to see if there are any traces of the themes from this season, particularly differing views on humanity, in the seasons prior. A lot of its allegory and imagery is clunky, and it does make me think that the previous seasons would have been better if we were given more perspective from Marleyan Titan Shifters than we actually got. But the direction the story takes this season is my favorite part of the ending of Attack on Titan, so I cannot wait for the second half.

Most Disappointing: Horimiya

For about 6-7 episodes, Horimiya was a masterpiece within its genre. The slow growth of Hori and Miyamura's relationship and characters was deftly handled and wonderful to watch, and the supporting cast was just as engaging. But then the anime started picking and choosing from too many disparate chapters of the source, leading to scenes that start and end with no consequence or reference. Hori's kink really could have worked as a means for Hori and Miyamura to work on their communication and comfort range, but is instead used for comedy at the expense of Miyamura. The pacing issues also severely hurt the development of the supporting cast as well, some with no real reason of actually existing in the anime, and some that I just didn't fly with me spoiler[(Toru and Yuki's relationship happened way too fast, it honestly felt like I had missed a few episodes of development).]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6