• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Dororo Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ab2143

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sentai Filmworks announced on Monday that it has licensed the second television anime adaptation of Osamu Tezuka's Dororo manga in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Latin America, Spain, Portugal, the Netherlands, and Nordic and Scandinavian countries.

sorry if this is a dumb question but does that mean their blu-ray release would be available to watch in these territories? Or is it that the English sub and dub will be available in these territories on HIDIVE?

Last edited by ab2143 on Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:43 pm Reply with quote
oh neat. I'll probably buy it
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see this being released as a complete collection. I'll definitely be picking this up in the future
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Right Stuf already has the preorder up. I plan on getting it myself, it was rather good.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Hooray! I've been eagerly waiting for this day.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I hope we get to see some new faces for this. People on this site have pointed out before that Chris Ayres used to bring in people from the local theatre, but he's ill. David Wald would be good, as he usually brings in new people from Funiamtion, but I doubt he will be directing this. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but when I saw the Hero Mask dub, aside from a couple of people, it was mostly made of people i see in every dub they do.

I am really happy to see it get a home release at any rate. All that's left is Banana Fish, Re;Creators and Vinand Saga. And if Funimation never pick them up, Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul and Pyscho-Pass 3 with returning cast.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I never got to finish it but I really enjoyed what I saw of Dororo and it's one of the best series Amazon picked up so I'm glad to see Sentai nabbed it and that they're going to dub it.

Quote:
I am really happy to see it get a home release at any rate. All that's left is Banana Fish, Re;Creators and Vinand Saga. And if Funimation never pick them up, Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul and Pyscho-Pass 3 with returning cast.
The one thing I wonder about with Banana Fish is that it's an Aniplex Japan title and I wonder if Funimation's deal with Aniplex is having some impact on why it hasn't been released yet.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, this looked really good. Definitely picking it up at some point.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:07 pm Reply with quote
#919730 wrote:
Quote:
Sentai Filmworks announced on Monday that it has licensed the second television anime adaptation of Osamu Tezuka's Dororo manga in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Latin America, Spain, Portugal, the Netherlands, and Nordic and Scandinavian countries.

Also, sorry if this is a dumb question but does that mean their blu-ray release would be available to watch in these territories? Or is it that the English sub and dub will be available in these territories on HIDIVE?

According to Rightstuf, their bluray preorder will only be region A, so wouldn't be playable outside the Americas (and Japan). And I have never heard of Sentai authoring a dual A | B bluray disc like Funimation does all the time. It must mean they got the master rights and will sub-license home video to local companies elsewhere. I can't find an ANN article, but Hidive is now streaming Scum's Wish subbed and dubbed, but that took them years and years to wait for Amazon exclusivity to expire. Who knows how long we'll have to wait for Dororo to stream outside Amazon.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Please, please, please someone dub and release Banana Fish!
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Finally Sentai licenses something I wanted from Amazon
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:20 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
People on this site have pointed out before that Chris Ayres used to bring in people from the local theatre, but he's ill.

Not only is he ill, but he has more or less completely burned bridges with Sentai after they blacklisted and recast Krystal in the Beyond the Boundary dub. So don't expect to see him directing or acting in any Sentai dubs from here on out.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:20 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
Please, please, please someone dub and release Banana Fish!

This tbh
Multi-Facets

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:09 pm Reply with quote
[SQUEEING SO HIGH ONLY BATS CAN HEAR ME!!]
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:48 pm Reply with quote
So when this article states "new dub" is that implying that Amazon at some point dubbed this series? That certainly is how this article is reading to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2