• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2021 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Violet Park wrote:

Not only did they condensed a lot, but they have also skipped some crucial information for the first episode. How normal is magic in this world? What about the saint is different from other magic users and why is taking so long to identify her? Who is glasses guy? Why hasn't Sei told Jude she came from another world? and a long etc. I'm anime only and I'm lost with this set up.

But that is assuming it is truly "skipped" and not just delayed. I see no reason why every single one of these things can't be addressed later. And it would be strange not to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I just watched Odd Taxi, and it may be my favorite premiere yet. Despite being animals, the characters have depth and mystery about them and seem much more human than actual human protagonists like Sawa Yukimura of Joran or Maeda Yoshinobu of Mars Red.

I also liked how the studio created an entire insert idol song to play on the radio. Shows a willingness to spend for a little extra goodness. I have a suspicion the lead idol will be a significant character along the way.

When the episode ends you're left wanting more, always a good sign.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:53 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I have a suspicion the lead idol will be a significant character along the way.

It's probably the missing girl, the idol are performing with mask on when shown on the TV so it seems like they performed anonymously.

Def agree on it being the most interesting premiere yet.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
re: The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent

I'm a little surprised at an aspect of the criticism of this by the two that read the first novel. Both plainly say that the first novel was dull and dwelled on the set-up too much and then criticize the show for not focusing on the set-up.

I assume you're talking about me and Rebecca, since we're the only two who cop to any previous familiarity with the material, but you must be misremembering something. I've only read the first volume of the manga, not the novels, and while I didn't care for it, my complaint was never that it dwelled on the set-up too much. I thought it was plain boring all the way through, but didn't have much issue with the amount of set-up either way.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Violet Park wrote:

Not only did they condensed a lot, but they have also skipped some crucial information for the first episode. How normal is magic in this world? What about the saint is different from other magic users and why is taking so long to identify her? Who is glasses guy? Why hasn't Sei told Jude she came from another world? and a long etc. I'm anime only and I'm lost with this set up.

But that is assuming it is truly "skipped" and not just delayed. I see no reason why every single one of these things can't be addressed later. And it would be strange not to.

It wouldn’t really be strange when you only have one cour to deal with a series that is already at 6 volumes.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:27 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:

I'm a little surprised at an aspect of the criticism of this by the two that read the first novel. Both plainly say that the first novel was dull and dwelled on the set-up too much and then criticize the show for not focusing on the set-up.

I assume you're talking about me and Rebecca, since we're the only two who cop to any previous familiarity with the material, but you must be misremembering something.

In fact, you may be misremembering a couple of things, since that wasn't a complaint I levied against it in my review of the first LN. Or the second, for that matter. (I haven't reviewed the third yet, but I have read it, if you're curious.) My main complaint is with the clunky prose.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:

I assume you're talking about me and Rebecca, since we're the only two who cop to any previous familiarity with the material, but you must be misremembering something.

In fact, you may be misremembering a couple of things, since that wasn't a complaint I levied against it in my review of the first LN. Or the second, for that matter. (I haven't reviewed the third yet, but I have read it, if you're curious.) My main complaint is with the clunky prose.

Apologies if I misrepresented your views, but both of your reviews gave me that impression. It sounds like a real issue, which the adaptation seems to be addressing.
To me it just seems to want to give a general overview of the big issues without inner monologues or exposition. I appreciate that actually.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Apologies if I misrepresented your views, but both of your reviews gave me that impression. It sounds like a real issue, which the adaptation seems to be addressing.
To me it just seems to want to give a general overview of the big issues without inner monologues or exposition. I appreciate that actually.

No worries! There is a lot of world building and exposition in the novel, partly because Sei is the kind of person who really wants to understand where she is and why. The books are written in her first person narration, so it doesn't necessarily feel like exposition, but it could come off that way. Thinking about it, trying to work around the first person narration may be another reason the anime opted for this speed up.

In general I agree with you about lengthy internal monologues and info-dumps. This isn't a perfect solution by any means, but I'm willing to give the anime a chance to prove itself, especially since I'm not too keen on the season's other josei title.
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Super Cub: I already knew this from reading the manga adaptation, but this show's definitely a keeper. And it's a good adaptation, despite the obvious cutbacks. I like the background and sound design in particular.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Full Dive ep 1 is actually a lot more interesting than I would have expected. Not to say that will necessarily continue, though.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree. Full Dive doesn't seem to know if it's a full blown dark comedy parody or not...like...idk, I kind of want to see how trashy it gets or how it takes advantage of its premise.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:46 pm Reply with quote
There’s definitely a good chance it doesn’t know what it wants to be and won’t end up doing any of those things well as a result, but as far as being uncertain as a viewer of what it’s doing and where it’s going, I personally find that more of a pro than a con. Being able to safely assume a series will conform to a set of genre conventions often just makes it more predictable and boring to watch imho.

I see no problem in combining satirical and serious elements. That’s pretty common from Huckleberry Fin to Catch-22 to Watchmen etc. The chances it’ll be handled well in this series aren’t high, but I haven’t seen enough to say for sure it’s being handled badly. There’s nothing to say treating manslaughter as a serious matter rather than slapstick hijinks necessarily needs to be a bad story decision.
Helix91
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Apologies if this has already been addressed, but does ANN plan to cover season 3 of Thunderbolt Fantasy in the preview guide (or weekly reviews)? I know that it's had streaming reviews in the past.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Helix91 wrote:
Apologies if this has already been addressed, but does ANN plan to cover season 3 of Thunderbolt Fantasy in the preview guide (or weekly reviews)? I know that it's had streaming reviews in the past.

Nobody on the preview guide team is currently caught up with Thunderbolt Fantasy.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Helix91 wrote:

Nobody on the preview guide team is currently caught up with Thunderbolt Fantasy.

Unfortunate because it is a very interesting series. The prequel movie was particularly interesting in the way it reframed some characters for example.

In any case, the first episode of season 3 was nothing special by itself, imho, but the other seasons have been more about setting up plot threads for payoffs towards the middle and end so I expect this one will be the same.

On an unrelated note I feel vaguely sad to see so many cases of previewers saying they’ll drop series they didn’t dislike after the first episode. Some of my favourite series didn’t grab me in the first episode, and loads of series with great first episodes have disappointed me. I’ve seen the same thing happen to ANN reviewers in the past (e.g. Madoka or Bokurano as boring and generic genre fiction, or Tomozaki more recently although I haven’t seen that myself). The second episode has always seemed to me to give a better impression of where a series is headed.

I understand that everyone’s time is limited, though. Just hope people will consider giving something another shot later on if warranted by word of mouth.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 25