• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2021 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:25 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Precure is, if nothing else, very traditional about gender themes

I’m gonna have to disagree with you here. Kira Kira has Akira and Yukari, and besides Akira being very nonconforming to the point she gets mistaken for a boy, there is a lot of stuff going on between her and Yukari that is very easy to consider romantic (Akira blatantly tells Yukari “I love you” at one point), and I heard side material confirms they are, in fact, girlfriends. Plus the Kira Kira girls work in a bakery, having a job besides domestic homemaker.

Also, Chiyu from Healin’ Good dreams of being a professional athlete.

Yes, it’s girly, but I also find it quite progressive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:41 am Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:

Those Snow White Notes I was going to skip, but the good reviews all round mean I might give it a shot.

If it was the music thing that wasn't appealing (or even if it is, to a degree), the manga paces the story much better; if it wasn't for the beautiful shamisen playing, I'd honestly go with the manga over the anime for this one.

Saeryen wrote:

That's how I feel about most magical girl shows, or at least the classic ones. They're about finding power within yourself and the power in being yourself, something that I think Tropical-Rouge is really using very well.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:29 am Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:
Well I would, but Im not a subscriber and attempts to become one failed. Your sites main message seems to imply things, but not explain outright.

If you've had problems with this, bring it up in the Bugs and Technical Questions or Feedback forums (if you haven't already). Tempest (the site's exec) does monitor those forums.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:31 am Reply with quote
The schedule: https://myanimelist.net/anime/season
Tokyo Babylon by GoHands was canceled and seemingly handed over to another studio. Good. The postponed Kingdom S3 will air for real this year and Yuukoku no Moriarty 2nd Season is also ok for what it is.

Cestvs: The Roman Fighter is one of the best martial arts manga on the market and there is nothing wrong with choosing CG to make the action-heavy show but not like this. It’s also the first production by studio LOGIC&MAGIC. I wonder if the anime will be both ugly and rushed? Sigh.

EDEN will consist of only 4 episodes. Looks interesting enough but Netflix should simply release this as a movie. Coming May 27th.

Godzilla: S.P I have no idea what happened in the pilot but it felt like filler and episode 2 was as uneventful. I am done watching people watch TV or have radio conversations that focus on technobabble. Gareth Edwards at least showed his titular monster by the 40-minute mark. The anime´s promise of the premise is fully unfulfilled so far. 5?/10

Mashiro no Oto is now on volumes 27. I wonder how the studio will pace this adaptation as they went through 120 pages (the 2 opening chapters are long) in the pilot. Yet it works as some of the story was also a bit changed. We mind end up with a remix rather than a traditional adaptation, even the art style is a bit different compared to the manga, and it will take a long while for Yuna to return to the story if the anime follows the manga. This source material is Shounen btw. For some reason. I lastly expected this down-to-earth manga to be adapted into a J-Drama but this is better of course. 8.5/10

The World Ends With You the Animation Gaming anime are almost as cursed as gaming films. The story of the 2007 DS game (the remaster is inferior) wasn´t even that great and mostly served as an alibi to generate battles and fetch quests so I don´t expect anything despite liking the source material.

Yasuke I would have preferred a more traditional take on the historic black samurai but here is hoping. MAPPA is doing the 6 part mini-series but not much about the staff is known. The Flying Lotus score is destined for greatness.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway's Flash releases in May. What a delay. "Uchū Senkan Yamato" to Iu Jidai: Seireki 2202-nen no Sentaku is a compilation of both seasons for some reason so I´ll wait on the actual sequel later this year.
Spring is shaping up to be the season of mediocre adaptations so far but one winner has already been found. Netflix? Your move.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Swissman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:47 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Geez, I watched Kiyo in Kyoto and I like it but ANN reviewers, not so much. Can't wait to see ANN reviewers gonna complain of Nagatoro San anime like with Uzaki Chan.

And again about Kiyo in Kyoto, why it's a monthly anime instead usual weekly anime? That's unusal isn't it? BTW, the manga has almost 200 chapters and I guessing the anime version will be another one season-and-done anime.

I suspect that the initial short episodes were intinially planned to be broadcast once a week, but, for whatever reason, someone of the higher ups at NHK decided that three short stories should be combined into a 20 min. episode, which in return could be broadcast once a month.

Btw, I love the manga of Kiyo in Kyoto and recently got the japanese volumes. I'm happy with the anime as it is now, even though I wish it had a bit less CGI and random info about cooking in it.

As for Koiimo's first episode impressions and the reactions to it, I think both parties need to chill out a bit. Spring is here, go out and enjoy nature like the girls in Laid back camp, or something.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:00 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

Godzilla: S.P I have no idea what happened in the pilot but it felt like filler and episode 2 was as uneventful. I am done watching people watch TV or have radio conversations that focus on technobabble. Gareth Edwards at least showed his titular monster by the 40-minute mark. The anime´s promise of the premise is fully unfulfilled so far. 5?/10

Biggest issue would be why Gintoki is wearing glasses,where's the rest of Odd Jobs.
but that aside....

First episode and second episodes are packed with eastereggs and heavy handed foreshadowing of where the anime is going.

just a few:
Skeleton of the '54 Godzilla (Kiryu)
Jet Jaguar....
Mothra's symbol popping up
mini Rodans- using Rodan's original cry.
IchiroFox

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:58 am Reply with quote
I’m intrigued by the premise of Koikimo. The scathing reviews only make me want to watch it more. I hope that it’s at least good at what it aims to do.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:59 am Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
I’m gonna have to disagree with you here. Kira Kira has Akira and Yukari, and besides Akira being very nonconforming to the point she gets mistaken for a boy, there is a lot of stuff going on between her and Yukari that is very easy to consider romantic (Akira blatantly tells Yukari “I love you” at one point), and I heard side material confirms they are, in fact, girlfriends. Plus the Kira Kira girls work in a bakery, having a job besides domestic homemaker.

Oh, I didn't mean that in a bad way. I've always preferred magical girl anime because I personally don't view traditional femininity and strong women as being mutually exclusive. Precure gives us both cute girls and girls who can kick butt. Sort of like the original Powerpuff Girls for a western example. But I know some people tend to look down on femininity and think women can't wear dresses or use make up or care about their looks and also be considered strong so I guess it depends on personal views. I don't consider traditionally girly as a bad thing, but maybe the term has negative connotations that made my post come off that way.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:22 pm Reply with quote
IchiroFox wrote:
I’m intrigued by the premise of Koikimo. The scathing reviews only make me want to watch it more. I hope that it’s at least good at what it aims to do.

The only problem with that is that it's cheaply animated so...even if you watch it for a bad anime night, it's not fun to look at.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:30 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Saeryen wrote:

Oh, I didn't mean that in a bad way. I've always preferred magical girl anime because I personally don't view traditional femininity and strong women as being mutually exclusive. Precure gives us both cute girls and girls who can kick butt. Sort of like the original Powerpuff Girls for a western example. But I know some people tend to look down on femininity and think women can't wear dresses or use make up or care about their looks and also be considered strong so I guess it depends on personal views. I don't consider traditionally girly as a bad thing, but maybe the term has negative connotations that made my post come off that way.

I see, thanks. That's what I like about it too!
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Shame to hear that you wont be contributing to the site anymore Theron. One of your preview guide posts way back when the guide was organized by reviewer instead of by show is how I found ANN in the first place and I've always enjoyed your work here. I'll look forward to seeing what you do with your blog.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Seems like a lot of people may be missing the twist that made the first episode of Mars Red work, and added the emotional weight that people are saying it was lacking. spoiler[Misaki is Maeda’s fiancée. He will presumably have realised from when he first heard her name, but since she’s never seen him before and isn’t told his name at the interview she only suspects once she sees his cute handwriting. Immediately after making that comment she freezes in shock for a while.

She later confirms it by examining his handwriting on an old letter they presumably sent her via the vacuum tube as one of her personal items from before her infection, which is what causes her to decide to escape and eventually kill herself. The way I interpreted the last recital, she feels that if she tried to kiss him she’d more likely end up taking his head like Salome.

It’s implied by the twist and the fact that he stands motionless for hours afterward that Maeda has been feeling plenty of emotion throughout the episode — e.g. when visiting the site of the accident and when told Misaki had greatly wished for him to see her perform — he’s just really good at hiding it most of the time.

This is the problem with making things too subtle, especially in something like an anime vampire show where people may not be expecting it, though I really appreciated the subtlety personally.

That the military seemingly haven’t discovered the connection between the two of them during their investigation might be a potential plot hole.]

I agree with doubleO7 that one great episode is no guarantee it’ll be a great series, though.

Quote:
Until MARS RED began quoting from the 1894 version of Oscar Wilde's play Salomé, I wasn't sure I liked its very self-consciously arty style.

They began that from the first word, six seconds in, though?
IchiroFox

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:55 pm Reply with quote
camseyeview140 wrote:
The only problem with that is that it's cheaply animated so...even if you watch it for a bad anime night, it's not fun to look at.

That's a shame. Thanks for letting me know, I'll give it a watch and see anyway.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:28 pm Reply with quote
This season I'll look for:
Kiyo in Kyoto
Combatants Will Be Dispatched!
How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord Ormega
Don’t Toy with Me, Miss Nagatoro

Kiyo in Kyoto is such a calming anime. Is great as a slice of life anime. Shame is only once a month. But if you think about it is basically 3 short anime episodes in one 25 min episode.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:

Biggest issue would be why Gintoki is wearing glasses,where's the rest of Odd Jobs.
but that aside....

First episode and second episodes are packed with eastereggs and heavy handed foreshadowing of where the anime is going.

just a few:
Skeleton of the '54 Godzilla (Kiryu)
Jet Jaguar....
Mothra's symbol popping up
mini Rodans- using Rodan's original cry.

I found the first two episodes to be great so far. Definitely seems like it's going to be a semi-slow build towards revealing what's going on. I don't really care as long as I get to see more of Kazue Kato's amazing character designs animated and colorful!

Still haven't gotten to Dynazenon yet, but that should make for two bright, semi-mecha kaiju shows this season!

The premiere of Shaman King was good, though as someone who's loved the manga for 17+ years there's already parts of this adaption that I'm not 100% on board with. I will say the softer designs, bright colors, and really rad soundtrack are big pluses so far. Obviously I'm glad it's finally being done, and I plan to watch it in it's entirety, but I'm just not as excited for this one as I would've been even a few years ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 25