• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kamen Rider W Sequel Manga Fuuto PI Gets Anime Series Coming to Funimation in 2022

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:10 am Reply with quote
Just thought of something, if the Double anime got a dub it could end up on Toonami.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:27 pm Reply with quote
The scripts for this anime will be produced using an old-fashioned typewriter because it's more hard-boiled that way.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what stands out to me more, the first full-fledged Kamen Rider anime (and it's about W!) or that it will be streaming on Funimation and probably dubbed.

Like, I'm fully expecting they might get the Memory of Heroes VA's back for the anime instead of the actual actors, but we might get English voices for Shotaro and Philip? That's just really trippy for me.

Matt Shipman and Chris Hackney are apparently huge fans of Kamen Rider, so I think it would be cool if they end up in the dub for this.

I hope Toei doesn't cheap out on this and delivers a strong anime production. This has the potential to be really great, and W deserves that much.

I've heard the manga is more gory and fanservicey than the show (doesn't the new major female character show up completely naked at some point?), so I wonder if that will remain true for the anime.
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
That's based on a tokusatsu. I don't know what the dub of Shin Godzilla was like, but it's not out of the possibility for a dub to mishandle something involving a certain sub genre or fandom. I mean, they might actually try to translate henshin as "transform" which is sacrilegious in the toku community Razz.

I know they probably will, but I have to admit it would be weird to hear them say "Transform" instead of Henshin, even though it would make no sense for them to say Henshin in a dub.

Granted, I could say the same for the catchphrases. If the English VA's can pull off "Now, Count Up Your Sins!," then they've done it.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:57 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I know they probably will, but I have to admit it would be weird to hear them say "Transform" instead of Henshin, even though it would make no sense for them to say Henshin in a dub.

Rule of Cool. Case in point: Viewtiful Joe.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I really like Kamen Rider W although I felt it had a rather weak ending, so I'm thrilled to know it's going to have a continuation.

A Kamen Rider Black reboot, on the other hand, is kinda hard to imagine in this day and age. It's just so different compared to the current tokusatsu climate. The best I can imagine is them making it like Kamen Rider Amazons that works as a stand alone. Still, I'll be looking forward to it.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:02 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

I mean, they had no problem with using "Kaiju" and not "Monster" in the dub of SSSS.Gridman so they might use Henshin.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:49 am Reply with quote
Shout Factory also announced today that they licensed Kamen Rider Zero-One for home video release and they licensed Ryuki for streaming.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:02 am Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

I mean, they had no problem with using "Kaiju" and not "Monster" in the dub of SSSS.Gridman so they might use Henshin.

In the official Episode 1 sub for the live-action it's just "Henshin."
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:04 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
In the official Episode 1 sub for the live-action it's just "Henshin."

The live-action Gridman subs was based off the Toku HD broadcast and for the first 3 episodes they used a fansub script while the rest of the series was all over the place with it's translation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2