• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: World Trigger Season 2

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skemono

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So go on, have a good time, and don't read this review until you can identify all these squads by silhouette.

The first nine are gimmes, since they've got the unit rank and insignia behind them. But let's see, going left-to-right, top-to-bottom:
Tachikawa Squad, Fuyushima Squad
Kazama Squad, Kusakabe Squad (or the one person on Kusakabe Squad we've met)
Arashiyama Squad, Kako Squad (less their trapper)
Miwa Squad, (sucks to be you Katagiri Squad, you don't even show up here), Ninomiya Squad
Kageura Squad, Suzunari-1
Azuma Squad, Suwa Squad
Arafune Squad, Nasu Squad
The Border executives, Tamakoma-1 (including the operator for once)
Yuichi Jin and Takehiko Amo (not on a squad because they are/were S-rank), Katori Squad
Kakizaki Squad, Ikoma Squad
Oji Squad, Tamakoma-2

Now to see how I did.

[Edit after looking at answer sheet] Boo! Shun Midorikawa is the agent's name, but the squad he's on is Kusakabe Squad! Boo!

But I got Amo's first name wrong, so boo on me too.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:15 pm Reply with quote
So I stopped at [checks] episode 35 of the first season of World Trigger, and just never got around to finishing it up. I am caught up with the Viz/Manga Plus releases of the manga though (and I own all the current released volumes), so my question is... Is it worth it to finish up season 1 of the anime (I know there's a filler arc in there -- is that worth watching?) or should I just jump right into s2?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Suxinn wrote:
So I stopped at [checks] episode 35 of the first season of World Trigger, and just never got around to finishing it up. I am caught up with the Viz/Manga Plus releases of the manga though (and I own all the current released volumes), so my question is... Is it worth it to finish up season 1 of the anime (I know there's a filler arc in there -- is that worth watching?) or should I just jump right into s2?

If you're caught up on the manga up to chapter 120 then I'd suggest just jumping straight into the new season. Nothing in the first anime series is an improvement to the manga and none of the filler content is going to be pertinent to anything happening here.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I put down the series around chapter 160~170 spoiler[I think they were nearing the end of the fight in the mall iirc], so it's been a while. The animation clip does look good though, and with there being so much content available, they should be able to keep the series well paced, so I might pick it up again. Though I think I'd have to either re-read or watch (for the first time) some earlier content to get back into the swing of things.

Hopefully this does well and continues past where I left off =)
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:53 am Reply with quote
Naming the silhouette is easy for a superfan of World Trigger.
spoiler[(Left) Tachikawa Squad: Kei Tachikawa, Kohei Izumi, and Takeru Yuiga
(Right) Fuyushima Squad: Shinji Fuyushima and Isami Toma
(Left) Kazama Squad: Soya Kazama, Ryo Utagawa, and Shiro Kikuchihara
(Right)Kusakabe Squad: Shun Midorikawa (Suprise they didn't add the other members of the Squad)
(Left) Arashiyama Squad: Jun Arashiyama, Ai Kitora, Ken Satori, and Mitsuru Tokieda
(Right) Kako Squad: Nozomi Kako and Futaba Kuroe
(Left) Miwa Squad; Shuji Miwa, Yosuke Yoneya, Shohei Kodera, and Toru Narasaka
(Right) Ninomiya Squad: Masataka Ninomiya, Shinnosuke Tsuji, and Sumiharu Inukai
(Left) Kageura Squad: Masato Kageura, Yuzuru Ema, and Hiro Kitazoe
(Right) Kuruma Squad: Tatsuya Kuruma, Ko Murakami, and Taichi Betsuyaku
(Left) Azuma Squad: Haruaki Azuma, Tsuneyuki Okudera, and Noboru Koarai
(Right) Suwa Squad: Kotaro Suwa, Daichi Tsutsumi, and Hisato Sasamori
(Left) Arafune Squad: Tetsuji Arafune, Atsushi Hokari, and Yoshito Hanzaki
(Right) Nasu Squad: Rei Nasu, Yuko Kumagai and Akane Hiura
(Left) Border Office: Masamune Kido, Motokichi Kinuta, Eizo Netsuki, Takumi Rindo, Masafumi Shinoda, Kyoko Sawamura, and Katsumi Karasawa
(Right) Tamakoma Branch:Reiji Kizaki, Kyosuke Karasuma, Kirie Konami, and Shiori Usami
(Left) S Rank: Yuichi Jin andTsukihiko Amo
(Right) Katori Squad: Yoko Katori, Yuta Miura, and Rokuro Wakamura
(Left) Kakizaki Squad: Kuniharu Kakizaki, Kotaro Tomoe, and Fumika Teruya
(Right) Ikoma Squad: Tatsuhito Ikoma, Koji Oki, Kai Minamisawa, and Satoshi Mizukami
(Left) Oji Squad: Kazuaki Oji, Kazuki Kurauchi, and Yutaka Kashio
(Right) Tamakoma 2 Squad: Osamu Mikumo, Yuma Kuga, and Chika Amatori
It odd, that they didn't add the operators (Shiori Usami is the only operator on the list/opening)]

Anyway, that was fun. I'm glad the animation is so much better, wish the first season look like this.The next rank match is going to be crazy
pikabot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:05 am Reply with quote
It definitely is a bit awkward that the first season left off right at the start of a hefty arc in which our protagonists are all Sir Not Appearing In This Arc, but those were the circumstances. I’m sure if the Toei team had their druthers they wouldn’t have done it that way either.

I’m absolutely thrilled at how much better the animation and pacing have gotten! Every element really pops. I have a couple presentational nitpicks (for example I think it may not be clear to anime-only viewers exactly how Yoneya bypassed the gummy bear shield and chopped off that guy’s leg) but they are minor quibbles only.
simona.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:18 am Reply with quote
great article, thanks Nicholas!
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:29 am Reply with quote
I honestly think that for things like the rank wars, a play by play analysis with comments is the best way to go given that this is basically a sports manga where the sport is school children fighting each other and the tactics can often get pretty arcane.

Still, it's interesting to note that WT is exceptionally popular in Japan, being counted among the top 20 most popular manga in that recent poll and selling pretty well. Had it not been for Ashihara-sensei's condition itwould very likely stand among Shonen Jump's top manga. It has the brilliant idea of fusing two of the most popular things in SJ right now, battle manga and sports manga, into one thing while also being a pretty interesting narrative with lots of political manuevering.
Saezurigai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:42 am Reply with quote
It's good to see World Trigger back, I've been following the manga the past years. Judging by the opening this 2nd season will cover spoiler[Galopoula + round 5 and 6 of the rank wars]. So I'll finally get to see my favorite squad in action Very Happy
Dirtyshadow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:06 am Reply with quote
I think the most impressive part is there isn't the 5 plus minutes of starting recap, ending preview and flashbacks. It feels much smoother and focused with just that, hopefully that carries over to the rank wars and they don't excessively use commentary.

One animation choice that seems to be odd at first was have changed the injury animation to a dark mist, but I think it might be a good choice as the previous animation oversaturated the screen.
pikabot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:14 am Reply with quote
Re: the change to the depiction of injuries, the dark trion mist is how that’s portrayed in the manga; in season one, it was a daytime anime, and it looked too much like blood spray, so it was changed. Season two is in a late night time slot, so that’s no longer a concern.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:39 am Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:

Still, it's interesting to note that WT is exceptionally popular in Japan, being counted among the top 20 most popular manga in that recent poll and selling pretty well. Had it not been for Ashihara-sensei's condition itwould very likely stand among Shonen Jump's top manga. It has the brilliant idea of fusing two of the most popular things in SJ right now, battle manga and sports manga, into one thing while also being a pretty interesting narrative with lots of political manuevering.

That's good to hear, hopefully the anime will continue for quite a while then.
Dirtyshadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:38 am Reply with quote
pikabot wrote:
Re: the change to the depiction of injuries, the dark trion mist is how that’s portrayed in the manga.
Thanks for explanation, Pikabot. Not seen the manga.
That explains why it just felt oddly right visually mmm...

Since its not daytime (younger audience), it might be why its not hand holding with the recap expositions.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:55 am Reply with quote
This was a nice episode but it did feel kinda uninspired, yeah. I remember really liking the ending of the Kumagai/Nasu fight with how cinematic it was, but here it didn't have the same impact, maybe because the sequence leading to it didn't feel as desperate. It was a nice fight, sure, but it could've been much more.

The Kitora/Futaba fight felt a bit slow as well but the Jin/Miwa Squad conclusion was well made. They always find very intriguing ways of using Fujin.

Hopefully they'll land the next episode since it has a couple of pretty clever plays. After that, I suppose the rest of the season will adapt the next round of the Rank Wars.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:52 pm Reply with quote
The Galopoula arc isn't a great beginning arc to start the anime. If I was making the anime I would have stopped the first season at Tamakoma-2 Squad vs Kageura Squad vs Ninomiya Squad vs Azuma Squad match. The match would have been a perfect pick up point and it wouldn't confuse newcomers that much.
Anyway, I do like the professionalism of Galopoula. They not emotionally invested in attacking the Meedens since they don't get anything from it and if they don't try their best there bosses (Aftokrator) will punish them. But I do like that Reghindetz was a vehicle of how all of them feel about the mission, the others are too professional to make an outburst like that (I don't know why they bring him on the mission).
Man, Reghindetz isn't very smart. I guess his plan was for Hyuse to "kidnap" Yotaro and teleport them to the ship and then teleport Hyuse and Yotaro off before Hyuse could react or he thinks he could overpower him. The problems come in with him not telling anyone on the ship about his dumb plan and everyone on the ship is drain from fighting against Border.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3