• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reaches Settlement in Class-Action Lawsuit Over Allegedly Violating Americans with

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
NeverConvex wrote:
I really don't get the histrionics over how 'unreasonable' this is. The demands were minor, are legally required, Funi is a huge corporation & has in abundance the resources needed to make the relatively mild changes, and not meeting them is actively harmful to blind users.

It's because many Americans (I'm American, btw) believe in the stereotype that most lawsuits are from "Karens" who are just trying to make a quick buck.

This lawsuit should be seen as a win for consumers over corporations, and I do consider myself a fan of Funimation.

This is one of the things I like about being from Australia. This kind of thing would be handled by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC). With the ACCC the company would just be fined rather than it go to a settlement in a private lawsuit like this where the stigma of money chasers can be attached.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

I imagine some of that sentiment stems from incidents like the McDonald's "hot coffee" lawsuit in the 90s,

Thanks for the link, for decades I believed that she had been driving with a hot cup of coffee between her legs, instead of what actually happened.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I think this is a good thing to do considering how many bugs and problems the Funimation site has. Hope Angeles is able to buy what they wanted to before.

TarsTarkas wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

I imagine some of that sentiment stems from incidents like the McDonald's "hot coffee" lawsuit in the 90s,

Thanks for the link, for decades I believed that she had been driving with a hot cup of coffee between her legs, instead of what actually happened.

That's correct. I read the full article a couple of years ago and more lawsuits McDonald's had related to their coffee. It's pretty sad when you find out what was burnt and the company too greedy to simply pay for these poor people's medical bills. Not to mention, the degrees of just how hot the coffee was.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
NeverConvex wrote:
Florete wrote:
It's because many Americans (I'm American, btw) believe in the stereotype that most lawsuits are from "Karens" who are just trying to make a quick buck.

Yeah, there seems to be a deeply set jadedness about lawsuits here. The same temperament dominated many of the posts in the last thread, seemingly without any motivation in the facts related to the case (and often in direct contradiction of them).

I imagine some of that sentiment stems from incidents like the McDonald's "hot coffee" lawsuit in the 90s, and while that suit wasn't actually frivolous at all, it became comedy fodder for years, and was integrated into the right-wing culture war against "trial lawyers" and any other forces that could hold wealthy and powerful actors accountable. And with the anime viewerbase becoming increasingly conservative over the years, it's no surprise that many would embrace an "identify with the strong, hold the weak in contempt" mindset.

I was actually just going to comment on this exact case! There's actually a pretty decent documentary, aptly named Hot Coffee, that details the extensive lengths that McDonald's and other huge corporations went to in order to give lawsuits against corporate entities bad PR. It's super enlightening how deliberate it was that this framing of "lawsuits are frivolous" has burrowed into the American mindset.

Anyway, good for her. Wonder what's the timeline that Funi has been given to change their website -- hopefully they'll completely redesign it at this point because that website is broken on so many levels, even putting aside ADA requirements.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Good for Angeles, regardless of motive. If large-scale companies can’t be bothered to follow legal requirements when setting up their websites, that’s on them.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

And with the anime viewerbase becoming increasingly conservative over the years, it's no surprise that many would embrace an "identify with the strong, hold the weak in contempt" mindset.
Which makes you wonder how many anime fans mocking this woman's lawsuit had no qualms supporting You Know Who's attempts to sue Funimation and Monica Rial or make regular complaints about fairly minor issues like dubs not being 100% literal.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:46 am Reply with quote
Next, the ability to watch the English audio with the translated subtitle stream on Blu-rays please, if you can't be bothered to create a separate HOH subtitle track for the purpose.

Funimation used to do that on their DVDs some 20 years ago, English and Japanese audio with subs, dubs and signs. But now with the licensor stipulated locks on BD discs, hard of hearing dub fans are left out.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:26 am Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
Next, the ability to watch the English audio with the translated subtitle stream on Blu-rays please, if you can't be bothered to create a separate HOH subtitle track for the purpose.

Funimation used to do that on their DVDs some 20 years ago, English and Japanese audio with subs, dubs and signs. But now with the licensor stipulated locks on BD discs, hard of hearing dub fans are left out.

Oh man, I'm not even hard of hearing, and I'm super annoyed whenever that option's not available.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:

This. This is the reason I stopped buying funimation releases.

I mean, they already have caption on their stream, is it really that hard to add them to the BD as a secondary option especially if they are gonna lock the subtitles to one track? I like dubs, but it isn't my fault I was born hard of hearing...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3