• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Big West, Studio Nue, Harmony Gold Agree to Global Distribution of Macross, Robotech

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna remain hyper optimistic about this deal and hope that it means we'll be getting uncut versions of SDF, Zero, Plus, and Frontier. ♡
Full endings and openings. Blu ray releases. All of that good stuff.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I had to check the dateline to make sure this wasn't announced on 1 April.
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I'll only believe this is true once we get blu-rays of Do You Remember Love and Macross Frontier over here and not until.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I trust these people zero percent. I have taken to importing Macross series since the discs contain Eng subtitles for a long time now. They're too late to win me back in any capacity.

snake-eyes wrote:
...but did it happen in Macross, with Misa and ( I cannot remember Rick’s name in Super Dimension Fortress Macross?

As far as I know, I don't know if they married. However the mission we see them launch in Flashback 2012 is the one they disappeared on. The loss of such heroic figures is why the revisionist propaganda film, DYRL was made. People early in Macross 7 refer to the movie by title. Macross enjoys being very Meta like that, which is why I wished Delta would have weighed in on the possible split timeline of Frontier between movies and not, though I haven't fully kept up.

THOUGH I WONDER, can we finally get some SRW titles over here now? I kid.

Last edited by H. Guderian on Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Madzack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Harmony Gold should also consider getting a license to Super Dimension Century Orguss, remaster it and cast better English voices. This is just for completionists' sake.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:39 pm Reply with quote
So, I hate to be "that guy", but it seems that everyone is forgetting the other reason Macross titles haven't been released in the West for so long besides the legal snarl. The music of those shows is freaking expensive.

Macross 7 is the top example here. The license of the songs is separeted from the license of the anime. And guess what? Because the record company that owns the songs of Fire Bomber keeps them under an "all-or-nothing" usage deal, the license for the musics of this anime is more expensive than the license for the anime itself.

I'm really curious to know how they are going to deal with that.
RealMTL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:42 pm Reply with quote
IT"S ABOUT TIME!!!!! FINALLY I can rematch this show officially.
chronium

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how long we'll have to wait for them to start popping up on streaming services?
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:46 pm Reply with quote
John the Dark Lord wrote:
So, I hate to be "that guy", but it seems that everyone is forgetting the other reason Macross titles haven't been released in the West for so long besides the legal snarl. The music of those shows is freaking expensive.

That information comes from a single dude making a statement at a con years ago trying to recall something about a decade after the fact. The veracity of it is dubious at best. And if Sentai can manage to snag the rights to AKB0048 with no apparent cost issue, I think Funimation through Sony can pony up for Fire Bomber.
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:51 pm Reply with quote
So, Macross 40th Anniversary is 2022. So Blu Ray on...January 1st, a True Happy New Years Day!
hikura

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I am happy to hear this.I will be skeptical until i have products in hand to dispel any worries i have.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Not trusting it until the actual discs are finally out. And there will never be a live action movie. Period.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:00 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
John the Dark Lord wrote:

That information comes from a single dude making a statement at a con years ago trying to recall something about a decade after the fact. The veracity of it is dubious at best. And if Sentai can manage to snag the rights to AKB0048 with no apparent cost issue, I think Funimation through Sony can pony up for Fire Bomber.
\

Also, I'd imagine that Big West would assist with dealing with music rights, since they obviously want Macross available in as many places as they can.

As for how this new deal might possibly work, the only thing I can think of is a royalty deal. So Big West earns royalties from any deal Harmony Gold makes involving Robotech & SDF Macross (& I guess Southern Cross, too), while Harmony Gold earns royalties from any deal Big West makes involving literally any other Macross property. It's the simplest idea I can think of, and it'd honestly be a big boon for HG, since I'd imagine that HG would make more from theoretical Macross royalties than BW would make from theoretical Robotech royalties (minus that Hollywood movie actually becoming reality).

At the very least, this now means that Harmony Gold finally has access to Big West's HD remastered SDF Macross footage, so they can start looking into maybe recreating Robotech so that it can be properly remastered into HD. It'd be a major endeavor, but it's pretty much an essential if they want Robotech to be taken anything close to seriously again.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Until I have BDs of Delta and/or Frontier on their way to me I don't think I'll believe it (hopefully with in the next year or two), but at least now there's hope for domestic releases going forward.
Hopefully this doesn't fall apart and the companies involved realize that all of them making money on this distribution is better than none of them making money on it.

As for the music license fees, hopefully the age of many of these properties will have lowered that over the years.
Nate148

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:02 pm Reply with quote
WELP hell has frozen over and the world has ended as has a 40 year old bitch slaping contest THANK GOD ITS TRUE
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7