• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Big West, Studio Nue, Harmony Gold Agree to Global Distribution of Macross, Robotech

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:01 am Reply with quote
Man first a 35mm print of Project A-KO is found, then Stone Ocean is announced and now F****** Macross might be out of licensing hell!?! Is 2021/22 the year of the anime fan?
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:23 am Reply with quote
Holy cow! YES!

Macross Zero Blu rays with dub - WHEN???

HECK I'm in for upgrading my Macross Plus DVDs to a fancy Blu Ray treatment.

Netflix is probably going to get the exclusive streaming rights, aren't they?
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:36 am Reply with quote
Mamo-chan wrote:
It's unfortunate that Mospeada and Southern Cross was not included in this deal.
Having those 2 on blu-ray would make my day Smile

They didn't need to be; Big West had no claim on those series, only Macross. So far as I know, the licenses to both Southern Cross and Mospeada have never been in dispute and Harmony Gold owns clear licenses to both.

The problem was, without Macross in the Robotech license, the licenses to those two titles were worth significantly less, not enough to justify developing anything on their own. Macross was always where the money was.

Last edited by DeTroyes on Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marzan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:37 am Reply with quote
Hell yeah!! I’ve waited decades for this!!
I dislike Harmony Gold as much as any Macross fan, but anything that allows me to have some legal Macross with subs makes me happy.

I think they’ll start off with Delta and then work themselves slowly into the franchise. The music rights for some (7) will be a problem though.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:24 am Reply with quote
Robotech along with Voltron was one of my first mecha anime growing up as a newbie fan and then I fell in love with Macross through Macross II and Plus. I’ve been a big fan of Macross since and I’ve always hoped to one day finally have it licensed and own it so I’m excited if this finally allows this to happen. Everyone wants Frontier and DYRL but clearly the best Macross show we need is Macross 7. I would also love a remastered release of Macross II and Plus as those old Manga DVDs are pretty dated video quality now.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:08 am Reply with quote
You know, if this news had been released a little over a week earlier we'd have been going "Ho ho ho, what larks!" at it.

I want to believe, but can't quite bring myself to believe it until I can sit down and legitimately watch Seven, Frontier, or Delta in my own home.
I'll be totally pissed off if anything goes to streaming only and I'm greeted with the "This content is not available in your region" message.

I'll be really happy if I can have a Macross Frontier blu-ray box set with the series and both movies sitting on the shelves in my living room.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:15 am Reply with quote
Oh shi-- it's one of the signs of the apocalypse! We're doomed!

Anyway, Macross Frontier and Macros: Do You Remember Love? would be a day 1 purchase. I would probably pick up reasonably priced copies of, Macross II, Macross Plus, and Zero too. Hard pass on Macross 7 and I wasn't that impressed with Delta.

Last edited by Kruszer on Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Marzan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:18 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Holy cow! YES!

Macross Zero Blu rays with dub - WHEN???

HECK I'm in for upgrading my Macross Plus DVDs to a fancy Blu Ray treatment.

Netflix is probably going to get the exclusive streaming rights, aren't they?

I don’t think so. Harmony Gold has worked together with Funimation before and the news of this agreement feature prominently on Funimation’s website.
Kamon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:25 am Reply with quote
This is fantastic news.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sergorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:57 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I’m still amused as heck that Harmony Gold thinks a Robotech live-action film is ever going to happen. Was that seriously what they’ve been holding out for this whole time?

If anything this deal make the live action Robotech film more likely to happen than he ever did. A Robotech film has been in development for ages, but basically no one could "crack" it because they weren't allowed to use anything Macross-related in it. Sony has been holding the rights for a few years and if it's anything it's quite likely they're the one who pushed for an amicable end this 20+ years conflict.

-Sergorn
Triltaison

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:11 am Reply with quote
Man, I still remember the atmosphere of frustration and bewildered disappointment in the room when Harmony Gold announced the continuing of their license back when it was finally set to expire that last time. You could almost hear the collective gasp of horror.

Like others, I'll believe it when I see it. But if this results in finally getting some legitimate copies of Macross circulating in the English-speaking world, I'm quite thrilled. I know it's a different can of worms to work with, but I really want Plus on Bluray and maaaaaybe that hope is slightly closer to being realized.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:33 am Reply with quote
It's weird. I was just thinking about this series this week! How I missed out watching Robotech on Netflix before realizing it was taken down, figuring out other ways to watch it (not even Tubi has it anymore) before succumbing to the classic YouTube streams. And now all this.

...so you're welcome?
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:41 am Reply with quote
Were we not already in the midst of an apocalypse, I'd call this a sign that the world must be about to end. Then again, pandemic-related loss of income may be one reason why they decided to finally get their act together.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:15 am Reply with quote
The only way I can think this happened was Sony realizing that Robotech was never happening as a film and intervention with cash and lawyers as a result.
Marzan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:15 am Reply with quote
Sergorn wrote:
invalidname wrote:
I’m still amused as heck that Harmony Gold thinks a Robotech live-action film is ever going to happen. Was that seriously what they’ve been holding out for this whole time?

If anything this deal make the live action Robotech film more likely to happen than he ever did. A Robotech film has been in development for ages, but basically no one could "crack" it because they weren't allowed to use anything Macross-related in it. Sony has been holding the rights for a few years and if it's anything it's quite likely they're the one who pushed for an amicable end this 20+ years conflict.

-Sergorn

Yeah, I think Sony was finally the one that made this possible. They may have forced HG to the table with Big West if they wanted them to move forward with a live action Robotech.
Let's also remember that Sony own Funimation which has worked together with HG in streaming Robotech. So I'm pretty certain that any Macross streams will probably go to Funimation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7