• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Big West, Studio Nue, Harmony Gold Agree to Global Distribution of Macross, Robotech

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:41 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Since this new deal still affirms that Harmony Gold has the rights to Robotech and they can now use the original Macross characters, I wonder if they will attempt to revive any of their failed attempts at making Robotech sequels, like Robotech Academy or finishing up the Shadow Chronicles movies? Or could they go the Voltron route and make their own original American reboot and go for a fresh start?

It seems right now their top priority is to make a Robotech movie, which for all intents and purposes, will probably be a Macross movie. (I wouldn't be surprised if it's called Macross in Japan). Sony does the heavy lifting and Harmony Gold just sits back and collects the royalties (after giving Big West their cut).
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:26 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
in retrospect when you consider that Harmony Gold has always behaved as if Macross wouldn't have existed without them. Big West and Tatsunoko never realistically owed Frank Agrama and Carl Macek anything.

It was a dispute between Big West and Tatsunoko that caused all this. Harmony Gold was just a convenient punching bag.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:20 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
in retrospect when you consider that Harmony Gold has always behaved as if Macross wouldn't have existed without them. Big West and Tatsunoko never realistically owed Frank Agrama and Carl Macek anything.

It was a dispute between Big West and Tatsunoko that caused all this. Harmony Gold was just a convenient punching bag.

Before the 2002 and 2003 rulings, Harmony Gold had sent warnings to the distributors of the first Macross Plus retail figures and the first Macross video game with English release plans. Those warnings precipitated the rulings.
Moontei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:01 am Reply with quote
Yea, still cynical till I hold the domestic Frontier BD's in my hands. Never cared for Robotech, but yay if the live action movie moving forward pushed this to actually happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7