• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Don't Toy with Me, Miss Nagatoro (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:44 pm Reply with quote
6:

Nagatoro-chan wa Asobitai!

No really, if Nagatoro is becoming less of a tease and more of an encouraging friend (with Gamo and Yoshi the ones doing most of the teasing now instead), then she's basically becoming Uzaki. Not a bad thing per se, but basically what it's turning into.

The only thing missing now is an old man-daughter pair with an emotional investment to watch a budding relationship. And a choco-mint speech.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I mean, both Uzaki and Sakurai are super embarrassed by the idea of being a couple and kind of innocent about it. On the other hand, it kind of looked like Nagatoro was super pissed off when her senpai said that the two of them are not like that, and I would kind of contextualise the outing as Nagatoro trying to get the boy she likes to open up and be friends with her girl friends. I don't really remember bits where Uzaki tried to have Sakurai be friends with hers, and got annoyed when Sakurai claimed they are not like a couple.

From my point of view, the big thing going forward really is a self-esteem problem with Senpai, he keeps assuming that Nagatoro is trying to trick him into letting his guard down to humiliate him, because he at a core thinks there is no way Nagatoro could like him. And on Nagatoro's end she is teasing him to open up more, to take things less seriously, and admit that he finds her attractive, with the bits he is taking as bullying is when she gets annoyed when he seems so resistant to doing that. And she does get a bit sadistic when seeing him get really insecure. The same feeing of sadism Nagatoro feels when she wants to bully him a bit, is sort of the same part that she finds attractive as a sensitive guy. She also wants him to open up to that sensitivity to others.

On the other end of the scale, I think Uzaki sees Sakurai as being a dependable person, that was her cool senpai in high school, and able to be self assured in his independence. But Uzaki is also frustrated that the independence also causes Sakurai to isolate himself, that she watched an entire year of him doing nothing with others and so wants to get him to open up and allow others into his life. One interesting part of this relationship much different Nagatoro and Senpai is how Sakurai walks Uzaki through drinking, how maybe it gets him to open up more, but Uzaki kind of ends up a mess from lacking self restraint with it. I can't see that playing the same with Nagatoro and Uzaki.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:16 am Reply with quote
This last episode was a disappointment, it was "filler".
Served to inform that this is a "low effort" adaptation. Typical material that should be cut, changed or expanded.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 1:09 am Reply with quote
7:

I would think that by now, Senpai should've realized that Nagatoro is more in her "dere" phase by now, and not as "tsun" as before, since the Gamo and Yoshi are doing more of the teasing part.

I am happy to see him just being more assertive in confronting Nagatoro's teasing (she still does it) and helping her out along with her friends, albeit a tiny weensy bit more assertive. I'm not expecting groundbreaking developments...

...although I was a bit surprised by the dramatic BGM when he pulled Nagatoro from the line to his secret viewing spot. Why the show gotta tease me like that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:28 am Reply with quote
They practically seem to be at the point of dating now and he doesn't realise it. And also seems that although the teasing going on with even the other characters can be a bit bullying at its worse, the teasing is also a bit of showing affection.

We also got introduced to a new girl, who mostly appeared last week in the dream, Sakura, but kind of makes me a bit interested to go over the other girls. Gamo is certainly the one most doing the teasing now, and it is clear that she is probably pretty aware that Nagataro likes Senpai. She likely realised quickly that he was hoping to see Nagatoro at the festival, and despite the teasing pretty much pushed for Nagatoro to come because her boy was there. Her saying that he is a pet seemed pretty aware of what she was doing, and Nagatoro's plan of inviting her friends and him to the sea together has worked somewhat.

Yoshi is an otherwise curious character, her repeating of what others say kind of points that she is pretty insecure, and desperately wants to be liked by her cool and confident friends. A particular point I thought interesting was how she reacted to the boys suddenly showing up, which I might have thought she would b easy going in her sort of airheaded way, but it actually seemed to put her off balance, much differently to being around paisen. Nagatoro, Gamo and Yoshi all seemed happy to get away from the player boys. Sakura so far seems far more exactly what she looks like.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 5:56 am Reply with quote
8:

I can't believe, the whole gag of the first segment is based on one comment (Senpai not studying). This show can really take any remark and just run with it.

Gotta admit, Nagatoro blushing when losing her grip over her own teasing is kinda adorable. And Senpai losing his shit for a second over the phone.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:09 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I would say that Nagataro losing her cool from the teasing not going how she expected is a good part of the fun in the show, that a good majority of the time it is her own fault, or she is getting overstimulated from something.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:34 am Reply with quote
9:

Did Senpai help Nagatoro to knock it off with the "treasure hunt" and make them leave, or show that he got her back?

Did Nagatoro nab the stalker quick to knock it off with the "date" and make them leave, or because she's jealous?

Such complex situations!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:03 am Reply with quote
Pretty sure he felt bad about how upset Nagataro was, while she wanted something about proving that he could be lustful (towards her). Gamo and Yoshi left because it was pretty much just flirting at the end and not really anything to tease about.

Evil work with Sakura in making the boy group implode over getting jealous with each other over. A little bit her and their fault for getting the unwanted attention from one of the boys as a stalker, even though no one deserves a stalker. Even though kind of there to use their Senpai, the fact that he was there and able to talk a bit show the growth in his character.

I partially think that half the reason for the fake date was just to mess with Nagataro. Sakura even was asking him if there was someone he would rather be with.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:11 am Reply with quote
10:

Japanese people and their thing for shirts with dumbfounding slogans. It could have said "this is a pen", but perhaps that would be too meta.

Look, I actually thought the **relationship has developed, even if just a teensy bit, when Senpai pulled an UNO reverse card on Nagatoro on becoming his model. So imagine my mild disappointment when it's just because he didn't think he could find such a costume. Show basically pulled a "NO U" and punished him for the flimsy attempt.

And look (again), I know that the President is a plot twist. I just didn't think the show would be so blatant about it. It's weird that Senpai has strangely been the only member present at this art club this whole time, since a club = more than one member. I actually hoped (even for a second) that Prez was actually Senpai's love interest who got him into art in the first place, and he's keeping the club alive all by himself just for her. Imagine how intriguing the plot would've been.

But no, Prez is just this plot twist that the show ramrodded out of nowhere. And she's also made to be unlikable for... I don't even know why. Doesn't matter, she's just there to create an ultimatum situation for Senpai and Nagatoro. Superficial I know, but I didn't think it would be that obvious.

**I also thought the relationship is a little more dynamic than this. Case in point: Senpai *still* falls for Nagatoro's teasing with her "steamy" comment. Shouldn't the show realize by now how old this tease is by now? Or maybe since this is in the opening act, maybe the show is more self-aware? Am I giving this show a little too much credit?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:18 am Reply with quote
The presidents unlikable characterisation in the episode extends beyond just threatening to shut down the club, she left him alone until now. It is quite obvious through the whole show that Senpai has terrible self confidence, and techniques like the Prez as clearly a more confident person of just leaving him alone, would do little to help him improve himself. The first half of the episode itself was like a direct contrast to how Nagataro has moved to help him improve, being able to push him to improve, as you might think that a school club might be for.

As it was, the president seem to make her own assumptions that the girls were "unsavoury" and the club was being unproductive, which in ways are fair. But he is taking his club activities seriously, and I don't think the girls are really being that disruptive or bad eggs.

I thought that it was rather funny when he was trying to call Nagataro's bluff by daring her to dress like she was teasing him, and then she straight up met him with it.

Also "I *heart* dog" is a fantastic shirt.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:41 am Reply with quote
11:

ATTACK ON PREZ! I saw that!

But you know what's funny? Nagatoro mocking how the Prez sounded so scripted and fake like a villain because well, she is the villain. Show's becoming self-aware much.

But let's be fair: she's not villainy villain. She did give Senpai a nudge by giving him a hint to realize his potential. So rather than being a villain, she's a hard-ass playing the villain.

I have to commend, the sequence of Senpai chasing Nagatoro to the pool was surprisingly well done. Unexpectedly so. Like watching an unremarkable person doing something remarkable. Hmm.

And the post-credit scenes. Adorable. Well, since Nagatoro isn't just a model, but essentially Senpai's muse now.

So what are we expecting in the next episode? Prez competing against Senpai not with art exhibits, but with cosplay? Why? Me is curious.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:57 am Reply with quote
Way to go Senpai saying those things. I am a little curious over the little flashback bits, whether they were just repeated entirely shots from the earlier episodes, or a slight shift. Such as a bit removed from his a bit of downer view of her at those times that she was out to get him, starting to get the sense that he is moving past that frame of mind. He does seem to be being a bit more upfront of his thoughts of her, and not negative.

The president is also not all that bad either, she was able to see through his art of the still life subject that he was missing a sense of passion, but then saw that passion in him when he realised that Nagatoro was missunderstanding the situation, to rightfully tell him to go after her. She must have a good deal of self confidence and assurance of herself to be making nude paintings of herself, which makes me wonder if it might be too much.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Final:

ok Bunny Senpai

Interesting how it felt like the showdown between Prez and Nagatoro was between Classical and Contemporary. Maybe not critical to the story, but the interesting comparison is something I noticed.

But more importantly, Prez helped Senpai out with finding his passion, so it's nice to see that Senpai & Co. helped Prez out with her exhibit approval. Not enemies, just rivals. Yeah, no need to take things so seriously.

As for the show, 6/10. Not a bad score, considering that it could've been a lot worse. The comedy brand got stale really quick, especially when the humor is mostly juvenile and mechanics are formulaic. But there are some surprisingly good parts. Scenes done exceptionally well for its genre.

Not bad. Not amazing, but not as bad as I thought it would be.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:12 am Reply with quote
I liked the ending. Probably my favourite part was when we saw Senapi getting jealous over doing "teasing" with other boys, followed by her getting jealous when she saw him being complimented by some girls. They had some lunch together, saw the prez getting her art piece getting banned, and then he stood up for her along with the girls, even as rivals or whatever, it isn't like they would just take glee in her misfortune. Granted that it looks like the girls then convinced the prez to dress up in a bunny costume, which may have awoken something in her. Sure the prez could then see it clear that he had grown, and maybe that the girls were not so bad, since Yoshi showed the footage that it was being enjoyed by not horney teen boys.

I want to stand by an opinion that this show was more than the sort of fetish fuel that might have been assumed going in, and some people might still see it. It is really easy to draw comparisons to Uzaki-chan and Takagi-san, but I think this series is actually the top for me, since it could be more satisfying than what happened in Takagi-san with its main character, and more charming than Uzaki-chan where in some ways it was almost subjective with romance. Granted Uzaki-chan had some aspects of adults that were above another school student setting. But it also had a cast of characters that I enjoyed, which I think that a part of that is that I have been kind of waiting for a series with a bunch of gyaru characters that were more than a fetish, and I felt that here.

My rating is going to be Very good (8/10), I think one of those shows to not miss this season. I would like a sequel, that perhaps branches out to the other characters, as much as it would probably be nice to see the official couple become more official.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4