• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
To Your Eternity (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:33 am Reply with quote
They took some pretty bad hits, as kind of expected of this series. Also kind of took this long to specifically say the idea of the man in black being a god, and such relationships in ideas of religion. What forms did he lose in the episode?
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:16 am Reply with quote
So far he's lost Parona, from what I can tell.

And I thought the small talk about God was timely, because this arc is the first time Fushi opened up about the Omnipotent to anyone. Naturally, a person would think he's God but, like I talked before, is there another entity who created the Nokkers? The Devil, as opposed God? Still not confirmed, but I bet that the Omnipotent created them.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:38 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
What forms did he lose in the episode?

And would not Fushi in return gain the forms of the three children of Tonari's gang who died?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I like this show but I'm kind of glad it's wrapping up. The "children characters I like dying tragically" thing is starting to get to me.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I like this show but I'm kind of glad it's wrapping up. The "children characters I like dying tragically" thing is starting to get to me.

Based on the number of manga episodes, we should get seasons 2 and 3 anime.
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:43 pm Reply with quote
19:

Hmm, intriguing.

Tonari didn't die. Wow, a breakthrough! Fushi hasn't killed anyone yet à la Batman (I think), Tonari comes back to the island and overhauls the society, and Fushi is back on the road again. Hayase... she's quite something. She idolizes Fushi, and is clearly a sociopath on top of that. Sociopathy and idolatry kinda go hand in hand, don't they.

So now, Fushi and Pioran are reuniting once again and they wish to be living out the rest of their lives. So here's my take, now that Tonari didn't die like I predicted: spoiler[Pioran's dying next.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:08 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Based on the number of manga episodes, we should get seasons 2 and 3 anime.

And I would watch future seasons if there are any. But I'm looking forward to a break.
ACxS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:16 am Reply with quote
Final:

Oh, the season ends here. Didn't expect that, although based on the episode alone, the writing seems to be on the wall.

Fushi finally grasps mortality, and witnesses dementia firsthand. It's funny to see how he was wrestling with his feelings and trying to make sense out of it, because it's an incredibly human thing to do.

And yet, it's saddening to see Pioran finally go, although it's pretty clear that it's time already. What's poignant is that I didn't know the girl in the OP is actually the younger Pioran; I thought it's another character for another arc (yes, I thought this series has another arc in store). Pioran's death is done so well I have no complaints about its execution. It's perfect.

My grade for the show: 8.5 stars. There are production issues towards the end of the show (I also suspect the show ended abruptly because of production issues), which bothered me a little for an otherwise amazing show.

One of the best shows in recent memory for me... so much that it peeves me that I have to wait for a whole year for the second season.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:05 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
My grade for the show: 8.5 stars. There are production issues towards the end of the show (I also suspect the show ended abruptly because of production issues), which bothered me a little for an otherwise amazing show.

It was announced as 20 episodes wayyyy back
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:34 am Reply with quote
How could I rate this show any less than Excellent? Well, I can't, so Excellent it is. I am glad it's getting another season. It's clear that Fushi has aged so hopefully his future compatriots will be adults and I won't have to watch a succession of likeable children die.
ACxS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:01 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
It was announced as 20 episodes wayyyy back

Was it? Damn, I stand corrected Neutral
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:57 am Reply with quote
Oh shoes, I forgot to check if it was indeed the last episode and to put my general ideas of the show! It ending at 20 episodes, which is a rather odd number to do so.

I enjoyed the show. Although full disclosure that I might have put it up on my list of what to watch the days it was coming out, in which I tend to save the ones I want to watch the most for last. I think that it is because the general themes of tragedy were starting to wear me thin. A little can be effective, but there is only so much before it is going to make me not want to empathise with characters in the show because it would probably rip my heart out, which is kind of what happened to me after they killed Gugu, and Fushi forgetting March as if it is a second death. I was reaching a point where I was enjoying it less.

Probably as much as I also loved Fushi becoming more of a person and could be more creative with his powers. A bit of a seesaw between some things better and others and already having hurt me. Although even in all of that there was some beauty to it all, the show being able to give us such emotion when our main character is pretty much a shapeshifting entity that starts off having no idea what it even means to be a human, and can't die.

My rating is going to be Very good (8/10), which makes me feel a bit bad because I think that it could be worth a bit higher, so I think it is kind of a me problem, that there was only so much tragedy I could take in killing kids before it hurt my opinion a bit. Still really enjoyed it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:05 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 3

I am kind of really conflicted. I know that to a lot of people he would be super annoying, unlikable, and pretty suspicious as villainous. But for some reason I am really drawn in by this Bon character. I love his flamboyance, as well as how extra he is, and clearly does what he wants. These types of characters generally are made more clearly as villains, being self-centred, I would say queer coded to some extent, and almost as impulsive as a child. He kind of reminds me of this character in a game I have been playing recently that I also absolutely love the character, called Daeran. A sassy bitch of a character, but as of yet no proof that would actually maliciously cause any real damage.

There has to be something to them randomly acting as if they are talking to someone? It is not like they are just going to be crazy, right?
ACxS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:49 pm Reply with quote
The second season completely slipped right by me, I don't know how that happened. But I finally got around to watch the first episode of the second season...

S2, 1:

...and I'm not sure what to feel about this show anymore. It feels... different. Like, is this the same show as the one I watched before? I know it is but the show doesn't feel the same at all. Is it simply because the director's different this time?

The first season was amazing. It even felt magical. Fushi's journey beginning from simply a stone, and eventually evolving into a full-fledged "human being", essentially learning what makes a human being throughout his journey. It's basically a story of evolution and humanity, and it felt epic from the get-go.

This time? Right from the first episode, I didn't feel this "magic" at all and I'm not sure if it's just because of the progression of the story. Fushi has become a hermit for the past 40 years by living off an island. He did that nobly so that no one else would be harmed by Nokkers since they're only interested in Fushi. But of course, there's that one time when he just said "f**k it" and became a crab and then realized that *being a crustacean wasn't all it's cracked up to be (I was amused a little here; I tried hard not to think how this is a common joke among shut-ins IRL... "I wish I am a crab living on an island all by myself").

But here's the problem right now: the "magic" is gone because now it's not about Fushi learning about what being human is like anymore. He's already a full-fledged "human being", and so since he has nothing else to learn—my god, he can even speak full, complex sentences and understands jokes—now it's just about him going through the motions as a human being. It's just about Fushi VS Nokkers, with others around him.

The other big problem about this episode (or maybe the whole of second season)? The pacing was too hasty. Hisame comes out of nowhere with her Guardians, finds Fushi in the middle of an island, and reveals to have a Nokker inside her, and then we learn she's the reincarnate of Hayase? Then we have a doctor who mysteriously knows who Fushi is... and then is revealed to be the reincarnate of Tonari? AND ALL OF THIS HAPPENING IN JUST ONE EPISODE???

What am I supposed to feel about all this? Perhaps the only thing that comforted me was seeing the same OP as the first season (Utada's song is still as amazing as always). But I feel like I've watched a different show altogether, and it's nowhere as good as the first season. And let's not compare the first episodes of both seasons; the first episode of the first season was spectacular. Do I want to follow this season? I originally wanted to, but now... I'm not sure.

*Interesting how Fushi finds life in the deep sea depressing... because now he could only understand the lives of other organisms through a human being's perspective. Everything he felt as marine life—being lonely, savage, ruthless—that's only because that's how a human being would feel in that situation. But do fish, crabs and such even know what "loneliness" is, with the same capacity as a human being? Ironically, Fushi has evolved so much that he forgot how he once didn't know how anything like that felt even when he did (he was mauled by a bear before, pretty sure he didn't feel "terrified" back then because he didn't know what "terror" even was).
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I really liked this series until before the spoiler[island arc] (S1), but even in the arc before that the main character started using his powers systemically to spoiler[create objects], which both made him overpowered and killed some of the "magic". The main problem though is the lack of proper work building: the areas the protagonist visits feel disjointed from one another, especially the aforementioned spoiler[island] (its arc felt totally random and I wasn't invested in its secondary characters at all).
Wasted opportunity for a story with an interesting premise, won't watch further season(s). Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6