• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: SSSS.Dynazenon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
-GRIDKNIGHT?? I think we're still in the matrix, folks!

I am not exactly sure how the lore works out, but I am not at all surprised to see someone like Anti/Gridknight show up. Since Gridman already had some weird similar such as the kaiju girl showing up, Anosillus the 2nd, which hinted at a larger web of kaiju existing outside of destroying monsters. And while her showing up would not be a surprise, Anti doing so seemed like the most likely that the moment it looked like a Kaiju was falling from the sky to save the day I called it that it was him.

I also kind of want to see how Gauma might react to the kaiju eugenicists, but especially with Gauma.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:54 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:
-GRIDKNIGHT?? I think we're still in the matrix, folks!

I am not exactly sure how the lore works out, but I am not at all surprised to see someone like Anti/Gridknight show up. Since Gridman already had some weird similar such as the kaiju girl showing up, Anosillus the 2nd, which hinted at a larger web of kaiju existing outside of destroying monsters. And while her showing up would not be a surprise, Anti doing so seemed like the most likely that the moment it looked like a Kaiju was falling from the sky to save the day I called it that it was him.

Yes, I guess what I meant was that I think this is -also- an artificial computer world. The scale of destruction was much higher this episode than in previous ones. And something else I've noticed?

In any instance/scene that involves non-Dynazenon pilot/Eugenicist characters, -nobody- mentions or notices kaiju or any of the destruction occurring on a pretty regular basis. I could be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure outside of battles and scene involving -only- main characters, life just goes on as normal.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:43 pm Reply with quote
The only thing Gridman-related until I'd caught until now was that tomato-juice packet Shizumu threw in the bin reminding me of the time Akane crumpled up and just left a tomato juice when a teacher bumped into her.
But man oh man, I hope Anti is going to be a character in Dynazenon! I love that stinky feral child
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, I was totally wrong about Koyomi's and Inamoto Laughing

Not sure about that prank video either. It comes off as quite bad at first glance, but with all the extra work put in to it, it looks like it could have just been one of many videos the whole group of friends were doing to each other to get views online. I think we'd need to see more to know.

It was great seeing the Striker deploy it's hands like that, nice bit of flexibility.

There didn't seem to be much reaction from people living in this city with the previous attacks, but there's far more clear cut destruction this week than before. If we go back to the norm after this kaiju is defeated, then something has to be playing a part in that.
zztop

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
compared to the mess poor Koyomi devolves into this week.

The 6.6 voice drama, which is an extension of the meetup conversation between Koyomi, Inamoto and her husband, further underscores his situation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPkWpvfpXZ0

Highlights include spoiler[Koyomi's further discomfort at the meet by Inamoto casually suggesting they all call him by his 1st name and talking about middle school class reunions (which Koyomi has left himself out of). Then when she goes off to the toilet, her husband's curiosity at how Koyomi knows her is nervously brushed off by him, before insisting the husband call him by his family name (implying he wants to keep his (emotional?) distance.)]

Quote:
The major link that does persist has been the conspicuous use of backgrounds, shots, and framings that directly mirror those used in SSSS.Gridman.

Perhaps the story is building up to some kind of multiverse scenario (like DC's Arrowverse TV shows) where Dynazenon's world is but one of many realities out there. It could explain the similar backgrounds and framings used (although more info is needed to see if that's the case or if it's just one big visual easter egg game).

Quote:
With those kinds of effects, we get more perspective on Sizumu's remarks about the world moving in a good direction in tandem with the changes brought about by Kaiju.

As antagonists (?), I find the eugenicists' motives much harder to pin down compared to Alexis Kerib's very obviously evil manipulations of Akane in Gridman. More info is definitely needed on them (esp. Gauma's ex-connections to them) to see what their endgame is, and if it is truly evil or something different than that.

Covnam wrote:

There didn't seem to be much reaction from people living in this city with the previous attacks, but there's far more clear cut destruction this week than before. If we go back to the norm after this kaiju is defeated, then something has to be playing a part in that.

Iirc Dynazenon does acknowledge the destruction, but only as minor background info so far (unlike in Gridman where the mains would discuss their memories of kaiju destructions on the city despite no one else remembering them).The plot emphasis so far has mostly been on the character relationships and interconnections, although I don't know if they'll change things up.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Some Episode 7 notes:

-So that's Anosillus the 2nd along with Anti? Interesting.

-We actually see a civilian injured in the aftermath of a battle(Inamoto's husband), as well as news reports on social media(though I haven't gone back to previous episodes to see if this has happened before).

-Please don't let Yume fall for Yomogi's nice guy bullshit(even if it's genuine).

-Chise's egg/seed/gem is -still- growing. We keep hearing of Kaiju being born from human emotions, so the connection is pretty clear at this point. Her feelings towards Koyomi's actions lately, or towards being left behind by him and the others is fueling this thing.

-I'm really hoping for Dynazenon to turn into armor for GridKnight
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I was happy to hear a reprise of Yume's "Nantoka BEEEAM!" in this latest episode.

I wonder if the other members of the SSSS.Gridman cast are going to make an appearance --- from Anti's and Anosilius 2's age it looks like it's been maybe 10-15 years? (This raises the question of whether Koyomi is a contemporary of Yuta, Akane, Rikka, etc. --- if so, are Gridman events part of the secret he shares with Inamoto?)

Last edited by dm on Mon May 17, 2021 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:40 am Reply with quote
Who knew the little kaiju trash gremlins would become hot and put together? Here I was thinking they might they might fit in with Gauma, but just makes him stand out more in comparison.

Also, kind feel like I maybe kind of called it that it would not be just Gridknight/Anti but The 2nd also. Kind of seemed like they were a bit of the same thing so not difficult to see they might have gotten involved.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Something I noticed this episode:

I remember noticing in Gridman that Akane's Kaiju sculptures often had a little jewel inside, but it was never brought up at all. Interesting connection here?

Amuro1X

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I adore this show. And I'm just happy to see that Yume and Yomogi's relationship, as poorly defined as it is atm, is finally no longer a one way street.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Even though Chise does not have a mecha component to ride around in, she seemed to flower in this episode, taking a lead in a lot of the action (being the first to try Gauma's kaiju-controlling action, to leading Yume into playing hooky in the shopping mall).

And: was Koyomi about to throw a rock through the school windows (echoing the first flashback with Inamoto) when he got the call from Gauma?
zztop

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 11:10 am Reply with quote
Voice drama 8.8 is already up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWWVRMspOBI

One thing of importance is Anocillus talking about "the kaiju of this world", which further lends support for the theory of Dynazenon's world being parallel to Gridman's.

Otherwise, you get to see her trademark giggle and Yomogi learning too late how hardass Anti can get.

Also, the purple mark on Gauma's back has been increasing in size.
https://imgur.com/a/HvldgUP

Quote:
The Kaiju this week pointedly not being controlled frees up the Eugenicists to have a day out, where we see cooperative controllers Mujina and Onija getting along better in spite of themselves.

Not as lazy for Shizumu though. He was certainly keeping a distant eye on things without the knowledge of the others, although who can say how this will translate going forward.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 2:42 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:

Also, the purple mark on Gauma's back has been increasing in size.
https://imgur.com/a/HvldgUP

Good catch, I thought that was just more paint from the kaiju Laughing
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 11:50 am Reply with quote
What a great episode. I'm really happy with how the Chise plot finally turned out. Instead of this source/egg/gem reacting to her negative feelings of being left out, it grew from her positive feelings of wanting to help. Not what I was expecting, but really great! Also, it looks like she may have a tattoo underneath her sleeve? Might've just been part of her dream, which, speaking of, it seems like being left out might be old hat for her(though I -did- notice the dream classmates chatter turn into pained screaming right before they vanished. Hmm.).

On the Yume front, I'm not sure if Futaba is actually suspicious, or just indifferent/has moved on with his life. Usually, when a character says something like "the police even said it was an accident!", it raises a red flag. He seemed in a hurry to get out of the situation, but again, bringing up old memories of your exe's accidental death/suicide is likely hard. I'm not sure. For Yume however, I'm feeling that maybe she's been hoping for some catharsis, reason, or a mustache-twirling-villain at the end of this quest(as loved ones left after a (maybe)suicide do), and is beginning to realize that there just might not be anything like that for her.

On the Eugenicist front, Shizumu remains aloof. Was Juuga always wanting to surpass Gauma, or is that a new thing?

The new combination sequence was bombastic, beautiful, and ridiculous. I loved it.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I was worried that Chise was going to a dark place and was glad to see Goldburn integrate with the others (even if she has to ride along outside, holding onto a fin). Her outburst that Yume should appreciate what she's got when Yoyogi shows up to protect her from Goldburn (even if he misunderstood the situation) hints at more trouble in her past, but also a lot of clarity --- she saw past Yoyogi's attack on her pet kaiju to what he was trying to do. She's always seemed to be the one with the clearest vision in that group.

Her abstract doodles show a lot of talent, even if she seems to have changed her mind about the tattoo on her arm.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5