• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Those Snow White Notes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, now I see why they pushed the performance, they wanted to extend it so they could talk over most of it :p

Regardless, it was a great performance. I really hope we get an OST of all the performances on them now.

I guess Yui is probably going to be to frustrated to leave now (btw, how do you say you're leaving right before going on stage?!).

I'm not surprised they get the extra award. 3rd place was a bit higher than I thought, but not surprising that they didn't win. Those scores sure were closer than I would have expected though regardless.

I wonder how the individual competition is going to go. I thought Mai's mother got her in, but that doesn't seem to be the case so far :/

Last edited by Covnam on Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:34 am Reply with quote
Back in Ep. 6, when they were getting the tour of Tsugaru and the history of Tsugaru shamisen style, they mention the founder, Nitaboh. There's a 2004 anime movie about him, which I recently watched, and you can just see its influence on this series all over it. I recommend giving it a watch. If an hour-forty is too much though, at least check out the final shamisen duel between two blind masters of the instrument. (both are YT links)

I said all that to say this: this competition was supposed to be Tsugaru style, about which Oodawara emphasizes, "Traditions? Rules? I don't think anything so formal or stuck up existed in the first place." So it seems to sort of violate the spirit of the style for the judges to knock off points for doing something nontraditional, if that something works spectacularly.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:46 pm Reply with quote
^Thanks for the links =)
q_3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I found the latest episode's sound design irksome. Earlier episodes were so good about letting the shamisen speak for itself, so why are we now constantly interrupting it or smothering it with generic piano BGM?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As a standalone performance it perhaps lacks the impact of earlier ones

If it has less impact, it's probably because it wasn't delivered to us as a single performance, but in pieces. However, I'm perfectly fine with that, since the music that backed his internal journey of memories was exquisitely haunting, and every bit as evocative as the shamisen parts. The background music (and the silence) and the shamisen were both complementary and perfectly blended to express the emotions of the various scenes, enhancing the whole experience.

Yes, his mother really is a malignant piece of work, to put it politely. Not that his father is any prize either. They deserved each other, but not the gentle offspring they produced in spite of themselves.

Ah, poor Kaji. I suppose they have a point about maintaining your instrument, but carrying on to deliver a moving 2-string performance nonetheless, still ought to earn a point in the plus column. How that broken string was presented though was really weird. If it was slack enough for Setsu to notice (let alone for us to visibly tell), the tuning should've been so far off that everyone, especially Kaji, could hear something was seriously wrong long before it broke. For that matter, I'd think it would be hard to snap it if it were that loose.

I certainly hope more people are watching the series and reading the excellent reviews than the sparse Talkback would suggest. This episode's review was especially well done!
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:50 am Reply with quote
I'm keeping up religiously with Those Snow White Notes.

It's a shame it's not got a mroe active talkback thread as it's an excellent series.

I'd certainly place it above Joran for sure (but I watch Joran for guilty pleasure)
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:24 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
How that broken string was presented though was really weird. If it was slack enough for Setsu to notice (let alone for us to visibly tell), the tuning should've been so far off that everyone, especially Kaji, could hear something was seriously wrong long before it broke. For that matter, I'd think it would be hard to snap it if it were that loose.

I think the string was in tune until it started to fray from the hard strike that happened moments before it snapped, and Setsu's sharp hearing noticed it suddenly go out of tune during those moments. It didn't look visibly slack to me before it broke (the close-up was to show the hard strike that caused it to fray).
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:24 am Reply with quote
q_3 wrote:
I found the latest episode's sound design irksome. Earlier episodes were so good about letting the shamisen speak for itself, so why are we now constantly interrupting it or smothering it with generic piano BGM?

I'm hoping it was infuriating on purpose. Maybe the BGM covered over that portion of Setsu's performance because he was channeling his grandfather rather than playing his own inventions. The BGM did go away when he reached that realization at the end of the episode, so I'm hoping the intent is to give us full, unadulterated Setsu in the final installment.

Then they haul away his mother for child abuse.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Wow Umeko is awful. I mean we knew she was bad, but really Mad
Still want to hear her sing with Setsu again though...

Well, this was a great show. I hope we get a 2nd season with more music and an OST with all the pieces so we can listen to them uninterrupted!

Edit: Forgot to add, it's pretty terrible that everyone thinks that Setsu is just reacting to his loss and don't know anything about the details regarding Umeko.

Last edited by Covnam on Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Although the competition worked well as a climax, its immediate aftermath felt like an odd, sour note to end the show on. I wish this adaptation weren't only 12 episodes long, and I'd love it to be successful enough to get a second season, but I'm not holding my breath.

Now that I got used to listening to those great shamisen performances, I don't think reading the manga will be enough for me, unless the Yoshida brothers come to my home and play all the shamisen pieces the characters play.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I am also of the opinion this was not a satisfying place to end the anime
grooven

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the show but yeah, not the place to end it at all. I do think Kono Oto Tomare! executes a much more satisfying end. And I found it as a whole more enjoyable.
Nekomo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I think I am going to remember this one. This show has completly changed the way I look at the Shamisen. Before I thought it was an old, boring Japanese instrument but now I see it as a lot more.

The final episode ended on a sour note because of the way they left it (season 2?). I was shocked personally on the outcome of the result and spoiler[how Setsu only came 3rd after that amazing performance.]

The series was quite good overall. I liked the soundtrack, the animation and just the feel for it, though I can't quite say the same for the characters. I just loved the performances in the show as a whole. It sent chills down my spine the way it was perfectly composed and performed.

Overall I would give the show a 7/10!
Good stuff, would definitly watch the sequel!

Last edited by Nekomo on Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
stitchfan93

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:27 pm Reply with quote
The final episode....

If there is one thing, it shows people need to value individuals overall and not just expect everyone to be the same. I know this is extremely hard in Asian countries that practice collectivistic culture but still it needs to be done.

When Setsu finally makes his own sound, this is what is rewarded? Being shunned away like that and disposed of like unwanted trash? And people wonder why others often have difficulty with self-efficacy, confidence and belief in their overall value as a human being......

Poor Setsu being beaten down and it looked like he was having a panic attack too.....He should have gotten first place! End of story!

You may not be good at something like others but that still does not give others a reason to put you down. Always believe in yourself no matter what!

Thoughts? Also can I insult Umeko in this forum? I got so manyyyyy things to say about the worse character in the season......
chronium

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:16 pm Reply with quote
This finale I find they failed to match the music to the story because I found the assessments of both Setsu's and Souichi's performances to be wrong. While Setsu played two different styles they actually complemented each other when we hear it and the only reason we know it was a bad move is because we're told it is multiple times. For Souichi while he does play the song in a more advanced way I found he actually butchers how the song sounds and I hated every moment of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3