• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Skeleton Knight in Another World Light Novels Get TV Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:26 am Reply with quote
Only nice picks from this year's "Overlap Bunko anime announcement", all of them are LN i've been reading and enjoing for a while. I'm so hoping for a Mapping, Lazy Dungeon Master, Undead Adventurer and Grimgar S2 announcement next time but it seems like the stream is already over for this year Crying or Very sad.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:30 am Reply with quote
Huh... tone is everything and stuff, but when your hook is something that has been done before with many more degrees of separation from the usual "isekai'd as a RPG hero", your thing doesn't look too exciting.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:33 pm Reply with quote
As far as sources go, this is a solid pick, I knew it would be picked sooner or later. If there's one thing I have to nitpick on, spoiler[there's too damn many saving-a-damsel-in-distress-in-carriage-attacked moments.] Smile

The novel, manga and webnovel versions all differ from each other in some ways(shuffling of events, characters added/omitted, character traits, exclusive material, cut material...)
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:00 pm Reply with quote
So Ainz in his "Momon"guise,with the twist being he's lawful good....
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Skeletor getting his own anime series, I bet HeMan is piss!
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Huh... tone is everything and stuff, but when your hook is something that has been done before with many more degrees of separation from the usual "isekai'd as a RPG hero", your thing doesn't look too exciting.

I've been reading the manga and...you're not really wrong. This is very much the usual isekai stuff except that it doesn't really have a 'dark' twist or unique spin other than the MC being an undead so he has to hide his face.

There are some darker connotations later on in the story (it is a medieval world) but the general tone is pretty upbeat.

There drawback is of course that it is hard to build tension since the MC is 'broken' and things conveniently work out often but if you're looking for a silly show with hilarious characters and great chemistry this group is very fun. Arianne is easily the funniest character since as an inhabitant of the world as she has the 'common sense' that Arc lacks especially when he does 'broken' nonsense. At one point she gets used to him just running headfirst at the problem and solving it with brute strength cause she's seen it happen so much.

That said there is potential for tension later on because when spoiler[Arianne's parents appear her mom] easily beats Arc with technique and experience showing that raw power(or high stats) is will only take you so far.

The short version is that there's nothing really special or unique about the series... but personally I think that is its strength. It doesn't need any 'extra' gimmicks, what you see is what you get.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Now we just wait for Korea to Greenlight a "Skeleton Soldier couldn't protect the Dungeon" anime in response. Anime hyper
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Skeletor: "I don't like being good, I like being evil!"

I guess this is what happens when Skeletor finally decides to embrace the goodness in his heart that he had this whole time.
IanKen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Beating a dead horse in another world....
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Webnovel started in 2014, not 2015.

Spreadsheet updated with both this and The Faraway Paladin.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:54 pm Reply with quote
It's really starting to feel like they're scraping the bottoms of the isekai barrel at this point. Everything about this just screams "been there done that" multiple times over.
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:31 am Reply with quote
It's not going to reshape anime or anything, but it is a nice story overall. They could have picked a whole lot worse or less interesting stuff to adapt.

Should be a fun show.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:10 am Reply with quote
I have been reading the light novel and the manga. I think this is a fun series, so looking forward to the anime.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:04 pm Reply with quote
The anime won't reach it unless there's a second season, but from volume 9 it will be a sequel to the original story/continuing after the end of the webnovel. The English novel release is at volume 8, around the end of the original story.

It doesn't do anything groundbreaking, but what it does it does well, several volumes have placed themselves in the top ten along its run.
zatheus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
It's really starting to feel like they're scraping the bottoms of the isekai barrel at this point. Everything about this just screams "been there done that" multiple times over.

Honestly after a while, everything HAS "Been there, done that." Especially when it comes to entertainment. When it comes to isekai its all pretty generic at this point, just comes down to the hook and character development of each one anymore. I would bet this one is going to fall somewhere into the okay to good range,for the average viewer, the C+ to B- range by my scale.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1