• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chex mix

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:46 pm Reply with quote
That DDR scene was so wholesome I almost cried.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:24 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
He meant the root problem of why she stayed in romantic maiden mode even though the magic should have long ceased to be effective.

Ah, that makes sense
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 2:01 am Reply with quote
While it makes total sense, I was a little disappointed that Ameri wasn't invited (I think the fast-cut preview made me think there would be a lot of people there). I really wanted to see Ameri and Opera interact, as I'm still curious if they're related or at least the same species of demon.

Lol at Clara summoning Falfal...to play fetch with in front of the "monster" (and the "monster"'s baffled reaction).

Wow, Opera was so shocked by Iruma's evil cycle that they dropped the cup! Shocked
Rrrrr!

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I sense fellow Opera stan in Rebecca :3

Also Ayumu Murase is sooo good <3
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised that "evil" Iruma wasn't quite so evil, but I like how they're going with it nonetheless. I like how everyone else just takes it as matter of course. It's so ubiquitous that they don't question it and don't take Iruma to task for it, hold it against him or do anything else other than treat it as normal.
I hope we see Ameri as well, I'd love to see her reaction Laughing
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 3:23 pm Reply with quote
One thing that bothered me was... when the professor was listing why every one of them was in the class, when it's the idol's turn he says "You are good"..... then, why is she in the misfit class?

What's weirder is the fact that it could be easily explained with missing classes for her job.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
One thing that bothered me was... when the professor was listing why every one of them was in the class, when it's the idol's turn he says "You are good"..... then, why is she in the misfit class?

What's weirder is the fact that it could be easily explained with missing classes for her job.

She is not the only one. What have Succubi, Lionhead and Birdhead done to be banished to misfit class?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, maybe it is explained by her job, but he is nice enough not to spread that information around. Didn't we also learn that she has some sort of passive charm ability that she has when not trying to hold back with her plain appearance and glasses, which could be why they put her in the misfits? They might have an agreement to not bring it up.

And we might not have just got what some of students were, but perhaps the other hints are there. Such as the succubus girl was convinced on the new classroom by fancy outfits, some how that can be disruptive. And not really knowing anything about the lion head guy, I tried to look up information about him, and with personality it just says that he likes to use proverbs and knows a lot of trivia, so maybe that just gets annoying with other students or something.

I thought it was funny when he got to Clara and he just said "Valac is Valac", and that is really the only answer we need about her. Also, Iruma asking Clara to sit on his lap.
Hal14

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

That she misses classes for her job is a secret so Kalego wouldn't have explained it then and there. I thought that was the implication with his pause when he said she's good.
SHD

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

He wasn't saying she's good, though? He was dismissing her as not as bad as the others. It was like "Sabnock is a violent brute, Jazz is a thief, Keroli is... okay, she's alright..."
ab2143

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 7:28 am Reply with quote
For me, the best part of the episode was Sullivan's reaction to 'evil' Iruma. He first blames the student council for Iruma’s evil cycle then starts jumping for joy when 'evil' Iruma requested to use the carriage. I love him!
TheKoniverse

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:08 am Reply with quote
Heh, I’m glad to see a lot of people are liking this arc! It was very much hyped up, so there was the possibility of disappointment but that thankfully doesn’t seem to be the case. You’re in for a treat, this is where I think Iruma really comes into it’s own.

Oh, by the way, I believe Opera’s gender is actually unconfirmed (the author purposely keeps us in the dark about it), so in light of this, I think that the official subs use they/them pronouns whenever they have to, anyways. I say this because I noticed that you used his to refer to Opera near the end, so I just wanted to clear that up.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:03 am Reply with quote
TheKoniverse wrote:

Oh, by the way, I believe Opera’s gender is actually unconfirmed (the author purposely keeps us in the dark about it), so in light of this, I think that the official subs use they/them pronouns whenever they have to, anyways. I say this because I noticed that you used his to refer to Opera near the end, so I just wanted to clear that up.

Thank you! I'll make sure to use they/them pronouns for Opera in the future. I must have missed that in the subs. Embarassed
Zefram

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:29 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

If I remember it correctly, Idol wanted to be in misfit class, she got into it on purpose since it helped her blend in. It was during her arc last season.
Superfield

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Seems to me that that only real change from "normal" to "evil" Iruma is that he was a doormat before, but no longer - with maybe a bit more harshness to his demeanor. He doesn't just do things because people want him to and now he's not afraid to do what he has to to get what he wants. I imagine that he's been unhappy with the classroom and the treatment of the misfits this entire time, he's just been unwilling to do anything about it until now because it would involve asking someone else for something.

Which maybe points to something about Iruma's general moral compass. Ali specifically cast a spell to turn him into a "bad boy". But Evil Iruma isn't bad by most standards - he's stirring the pot, but he's not mistreating people or being an asshole for no reason. Which makes me think that the curse just turns someone into what they themselves perceive as "bad" - which implies that, to Iruma, being a doormat is an inherent virtue and asking things of others is a vice. Maybe this experience, once the spell wears off, will make him think differently about what he values...?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8