• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: 86

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Dress uniforms can look pretty silly to contemporary eyes (look at all the braid and piping and dangling cords on European cavalry uniforms from the Napoleonic era).

Lena's uniform is pretty silly. It probably tells you something about the sexual politics and patriarchal nature of the Republic that the dress uniform for women looks like that. She has high heels on her boots, too, doesn't she?

I doubt that a woman who expected to wear it on a daily basis in which she expected to be doing anything other than a desk job would design a uniform like that.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:03 am Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
No offense, but you seem to be taking this WAY too out of proportion. If something this trivial ruins entire scenes for you, then I dont know what to tell you. You are reacting like the show had random ass and panty shots. News flash, well written female characters are allowed to be sexy too.

Why do you need to tell me anything? Am I not allowed to express that I don't like something and why I don't like it without people who do getting all defensive about it? Several people have said they like it and that's fine. I don't feel the need to tell them they shouldn't or that how they feel about its effects (or lack thereof) is wrong or that they're blind for not seeing it as I do. I'm not judging anyone who likes it or is indifferent to it. Just saying how I feel.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:06 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Dress uniforms can look pretty silly to contemporary eyes (look at all the braid and piping and dangling cords on European cavalry uniforms from the Napoleonic era).

Lena's uniform is pretty silly. It probably tells you something about the sexual politics and patriarchal nature of the Republic that the dress uniform for women looks like that. She has high heels on her boots, too, doesn't she?

I doubt that a woman who expected to wear it on a daily basis in which she expected to be doing anything other than a desk job would design a uniform like that.

I don't know if it's so much something we can tie into the politics of the Republic per se rather than just the visual conventions of the genre...I mean, I guess the Republic could be a kind of society where women are more expected to dress that way from an archaic view of women and because they don't take the military seriously, but we do see enlisted women and Lena was able to become a major at 16 on her own merits.

I don't think we see enough to really judge for sure one way or another, but we also should take into consideration that the author is a woman who likes garter-belts.

She does wear boots with heels, she only stops running once one of the heels breaks, but they're pretty modestly sized.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:17 pm Reply with quote
We do get some comments in-universe about how Lena's job as a woman is to get married (from her uncle iirc), but I'm not sure if that's meant as anything deeper than the line itself
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:47 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
dm wrote:

I don't know if it's so much something we can tie into the politics of the Republic per se rather than just the visual conventions of the genre...I mean, I guess the Republic could be a kind of society where women are more expected to dress that way from an archaic view of women and because they don't take the military seriously, but we do see enlisted women and Lena was able to become a major at 16 on her own merits.

Well, if you look at the work on its own, you are free to ask why they're doing things the way they are, and what the audience reads in the imagery on the screen. This is especially true of animation, where everything on the screen was put there by the creators' choices.

So, Gina says, "Lena's uniform really takes me out of the serious mood the series seems to be aiming for". So, the artists are screwing up if they're trying to send a serious message to audience members like Gina.

Gina got me started thinking about what Lena's silly uniform says to me, and it causes me to wonder: what does it say about this society that they put women into dress uniforms like that? Is it saying they should be taken seriously, or is the expectation that they are purely decorative?

As to Lena's meteoric rise, didn't we see in one of the early episodes how some of the not-much-older officers viewed her in a pretty patronizing way? Not so surprising given the fact that her uniform makes her look "cute" and "sexy" instead of serious and diligent doesn't help her make her case for being taken seriously.

MFrontier wrote:
I don't think we see enough to really judge for sure one way or another, but we also should take into consideration that the author is a woman who likes garter-belts.

Whether one takes authorial intent into consideration is a choice of critical stance. To a degree, what the author means may be different from what they actually end up saying.

You're free to say that this is more consideration than you really think this aspect of this cartoon (a) deserves, (b) wants from you, (c) is going to get from you, and that's fine.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:47 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
MFrontier wrote:
dm wrote:

Well, if you look at the work on its own, you are free to ask why they're doing things the way they are, and what the audience reads in the imagery on the screen. This is especially true of animation, where everything on the screen was put there by the creators' choices.

So, Gina says, "Lena's uniform really takes me out of the serious mood the series seems to be aiming for". So, the artists are screwing up if they're trying to send a serious message to audience members like Gina.

Gina got me started thinking about what Lena's silly uniform says to me, and it causes me to wonder: what does it say about this society that they put women into dress uniforms like that? Is it saying they should be taken seriously, or is the expectation that they are purely decorative?

As to Lena's meteoric rise, didn't we see in one of the early episodes how some of the not-much-older officers viewed her in a pretty patronizing way. Not so surprising given the fact that her uniform makes her look "cute" and "sexy" instead of serious and diligent doesn't help her make her case for being taken seriously.

MFrontier wrote:

Whether one takes authorial intent into consideration is a choice of critical stance. To a degree, what the author means may be different from what they actually end up saying.

You're free to say that this is more consideration than you really think this aspect of this cartoon (a) deserves, (b) wants from you, (c) is going to get from you, and that's fine.

I guess just to me we don't really see her in her in her outfit sexualized to such an extent to where I feel like it takes one out of the drama because the emphasis is more on her emotions and facial reactions while her outfit is just something cute and attractive she just happens to wear because that's generally how a lot of LN/anime outfits work. Kind of like school uniforms.

I mean, Asuna Yuuki was fighting life-and-death battles in a VR game while wearing a mini-skirt for years, because it's kind just how this genre is...But I understand why some might feel differently.

I think they acted patronizing towards her purely for her staunch belief and care for the Eighty-Six and not because of her gender or outfit.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:25 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
pikrodafni wrote:
It's not like it ever really focuses on that particular aspect of her

No, of course they would never sabotage an emotional scene by focusing on that.

This doesn't take me out of the scene at all because the emphasis of the scene was on Annette's twitch to Lena's question and framed (like the rest of that scene after Lena takes over as the dominant one in the conversation) as avoiding showing Lena's eyes, giving the impression the entire time that Annette was metaphorically not facing her past.

The fact that Lena's garter belt is in the scene means literally nothing more to me than "that's what she was wearing." The scene would be no different to me if her normal attire was a dress or a suit with pants.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:24 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
We do get some comments in-universe about how Lena's job as a woman is to get married (from her uncle iirc), but I'm not sure if that's meant as anything deeper than the line itself

IIRC in the LN it was also about Lena being kind of nobility, and noble women should get married instead of working, but that just confirms sexism even more, as nobility woman has most opportunity for good education so leaving them out of workforce leaves women in general as "lower level" workers - nurse instead of doctor, school teacher instead of professor, etc.

There is also the plot with her friend having to deal with whole procession of over- and under-aged suitors, so there is definitely something about "woman's role is to get married" in Alba Republic's society, which would explain sexy uniforms - after all they could help women like Lena get a husband in a military, which is their proper role /s.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:51 am Reply with quote
This week felt a bit more fillerish than the last time they expanded upon the novels, but the last 3rd of the episode was really well presented. They gave us a really good snapshot of little extra moments fleshing out spearhead. Reminded me a of the similar sequence at the end of Girls' Last Tour.

spoiler[Fido feels more like an actual character now, and after the last scene I hope Shin takes his name down too. I could feel that coming once the slideshow started, not to mention the cross imagery from telephone poles in the final shot, but it was still pretty emotional.]
Gingi7890

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:12 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Pretty much the entire episode is anime only. That's not a complaint, just an observation. I liked both aspects of it; from the first part of the episode where they're able to relax and have control over the their lives for the first time in a long time, to the video montage with Fido. I liked how it reinforced specific aspects of the characters - for example, the scene with Anju going to clean out the pot is just after they asked if she was all right after Daiya died. And I didn't notice it at first (someone on crunchyroll pointed it out), but there's a scene with Shin, his brother, and Annette in Fido's memory.] It was nice to get to see the surviving members of Spearhead get to relax for an episode and act like somewhat normal kids.

spoiler[The scene with the Legion was also anime only, but it has more of a tie in to the books - and the choices Shinei and company make when they get to the Republic. However, I hope that even though they had that scene, that they still have the dream sequence with Kaie.]
saber721

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Never thought I'd love an anime original episode so much, but this episode was pure gold for me.

The only scene in this episode I know that isn't technically anime original is during the post credits scene going through Fido's memories. The scene where Kaie, Lecca and Haruto ask Fido which food tastes worse is in the LN, although those three aren't present, instead it is Raiden who asks Fido. (The scene happens during Raiden's trip to the town for supplies in episode 2)

Also fun fact, the food Fido kicks away are the synthetic rations the Republic supplies to the 86, which the 86 remark tastes like plastic explosives.

Very minor LN vol. 7 spoilers:
spoiler[As mentioned by Gingi7890, there is a frame in Fido's memory showing Shin and Annette as kids along with Rei. The reason for this is that the AI Fido is based on is a prototype that Shins father was developing prior to the war. It is implied, although not outright stated, in volume 7 of the LN that after Shins family was sent to the interment camps the Republic used the AI that Shins father was developing to create the AI used in the scavengers. (The unofficial name for the series of robots Fido is a part of) So it would make sense for Fido to have memories of Shin and Annette as children deep within its data banks.]
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:38 pm Reply with quote
FIDO NO ;_;
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Latest episode was my favorite from the show but I did notice a drop in character dialogue quality at around the halfway point, felt like everyone was not really reminiscing but reminding the audience of the plot points we've been through. Felt artificial in a way
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:47 pm Reply with quote
As they were relaxing by the lake I kept worrying that they'd get discovered by a Legion outrider.

Re: one of Fido's last images (I'm grateful to the people who pointed out its existence --- I would never have seen it otherwise) spoiler[Annette looks guilty in that image --- almost as though she was responsible for Fido doing whatever has angered young Shin.]

Fido's memories really were a nice way to introduce more detail about the characters.

Last edited by dm on Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:25 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
killjoy_the wrote:

IIRC in the LN it was also about Lena being kind of nobility, and noble women should get married instead of working, but that just confirms sexism even more, as nobility woman has most opportunity for good education so leaving them out of workforce leaves women in general as "lower level" workers - nurse instead of doctor, school teacher instead of professor, etc.

There is also the plot with her friend having to deal with whole procession of over- and under-aged suitors, so there is definitely something about "woman's role is to get married" in Alba Republic's society, which would explain sexy uniforms - after all they could help women like Lena get a husband in a military, which is their proper role /s.

Yea both Lena and Annette's families were ex nobles. It's also partly why she can get away with a lot due to her Uncle as while the nobles don't rule the country anymore they still hold positions of power. The old noble families being picky about marriage plays into another big part of the series.

spoiler[The ESP powers like what Shin and others have which the noble families heavily protect and try to keep within their families.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 13