• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tokyo Revengers

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Dupree Likes Angel Densetsu.

Only the coolest people like Angel Densetsu.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:23 am Reply with quote
I watched the first two episode tonight an enjoyed them, but it doesn't seem like he's thinking like an adult when going back (Is he 13 btw? I thought he was 26 and went back 12 years, though I suppose he could still be 25 while Hinata is 26). There's a huge crowd of under aged kids having a fight club and his first thought isn't to go to the police or some authority figure?
I get that kids might not do that, but I would expect most adults to find a way to some authority figure get involved. Especially when they've got cell phones
ab2143

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
what sets it apart is Takemichi's sometimes faltering determination to finally stand up to the things in his life that left him a burnt out wreck as an adult. This story isn't just about doing things “right” this time – it's about him confronting the trauma that's clung to his back and dragged him down for half his life.

Yeah, this is what got me hooked on the show. He's willing to become stronger even if it means getting into horrid situations.

I have a bad feeling that the next episode is when things go downhill for Takemichi and his wholesome middle school delinquent gang...
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:03 am Reply with quote
I would have thought that the easier solution is to tell Naoto of the past specific details about how Hinata got mixed up with the gang, rather than trying to break it up. Surely Naoto would have guessed that Takemichi wouldn't be able to break up the gang so easily as someone on the lowest rung of the ladder. Maybe his awe of Takemichi acting cool in the past made him overlook something so obvious?

Then again, I could also see Naoto holding something back from Takemichi. After all, Takemichi is very impulsive, to the point where he doesn't consider that the name of the top boss would be secret and saying it out loud would be a huge mistake. And he's been pushed around enough by life that he isn't considering that his task may have other layers to it (aside from helping the many people affected by the gang aside from Hinata, I guess).
SenseiAgot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Just read the manga and spoiler[all your fears regarding Hinata will be appeased ][/spoiler]
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Mr. Dupree Likes Angel Densetsu.

Only the coolest people like Angel Densetsu.

Another reason for me to like Tokyo Revengers - I learned about cool delinquent manga I've never heard about before.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:50 pm Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
I would have thought that the easier solution is to tell Naoto of the past specific details about how Hinata got mixed up with the gang, rather than trying to break it up.

From the news broadcast it seemed like she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, hit by a truck (isekai spinoff?) while at a festival. All he had to do was tell Naoto to keep her from going to the festival (you'd think that how she was killed would come up the first time, but he could just tell him the next time). Of course, then the show would be over Laughing
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:16 am Reply with quote
I like this show; I think it has a lot of potential, and I *loved* Erased, so it’s fun to watch a show in the exact same genre!
But let me rant a little about Hinata’s treatment thus far:
—Takemichi can tell Hinata’s *little* brother about his impending doom successfully—without freaking him out or causing irreversible trauma, and ensures the best-case scenario of Naoto believing him, totally changing his life because of it and preventing both his own and Takemichi’s premature deaths, but neither of them thinks to tell Hinata?!

Please don’t tell me it’s because she is a girl; it’s bad enough that the premise of the story is that this young woman has to be fridged to motivate her middle school boyfriend and younger brother to fight gang violence.

—OK, maybe telling Hinata outright about her fate would be too easy and is impossible for narrative reasons; maybe the story will even give a reasonable explanation for why she needs to be kept in the dark. But in episode 2, Hinata tells Takemichi that she’s studied karate, meanwhile he’s getting into fights on the daily and could really use some skills. Please, please tell me Takemichi asks Hinata to teach him karate! That would give her an active role in the story beyond being a damsel in distress and would up Takemichi’s fighting ability. Win-win!
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:01 pm Reply with quote
The shows alright but it's definitely one where you need to turn your brain off and not think too much about it. Such as things like where are most these kids parents or the cops since I have a hard time believing kids could have a fightclub in broad daylight in Tokyo. Then again a lot of these so called kids look like they're pushing 30.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Leviathonlx1 wrote:
The shows alright but it's definitely one where you need to turn your brain off and not think too much about it. Such as things like where are most these kids parents or the cops since I have a hard time believing kids could have a fightclub in broad daylight in Tokyo. Then again a lot of these so called kids look like they're pushing 30.

That was my feeling when I read the manga. Some really bad shit goes down and yet no adults ever do anything.
I assume a lot of the kids come from bad homes (and I know some of them in the story do), but I feel like if your kid was coming home badly beaten every week you'd like... Maybe wonder what's going on and investigate.
It reaches a point where it's really case of "how have absolutely no adults stepped in at all????"

As for people's queries about telling Hinata, spoiler[this stuff gets addressed in part.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I was reluctant to dive into this because I saw the 00 episode which crammed these first 3 episodes into 20 minutes, starting with him pushed onto the tracks. I had no idea what was going on at any point during that 20 min. So I was relieved after watching the first episode that it wasn't going to be like the 00 ep. It all makes sense now! Well, at least as much as this series "makes sense" at all. Smile I'm enjoying it.

Quote:
There's still the whole time-leap age gap thing to contend with

In this case, I don't have a problem with it. It's not exactly an adult just falling in love with a teenager (or a grade schooler as in Erased) and taking advantage of his physical age to get over. He was already in love with her the first time he was a teen, so seeing her again is just reliving and/or rekindling those old feelings. I don't find that creepy. It seems eminently human to me. I'd think it was much weirder if he was all, "Ick, no, I'm an adult now, I can't still love her. I just have to pretend like I do while being careful to not actually feel anything for her."

Leviathonlx1 wrote:
Then again a lot of these so called kids look like they're pushing 30.

Well, they're delinquents. They were held back a few times...
so751

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:17 am Reply with quote
Im another person who fell victim to reading all of the manga because of watching the first 3 episodes (technically 2, and waited for the 3rd so i could appreciate the anime more before spoiling myself). This series definitely has a lot of potential, especially in the material beyond what i think they'll cover this season.

lol the thought of parents (or lack of their interference) definitely crossed my mind, but the manga implies a lot, especially since theyre all labelled as delinquents, to someone else's point earlier. The manga also explains eventuallyspoiler[that many of the Toman group actually dont have parents anymore or have single parents at most. It also appears we might see our first glimpse of Takemichi's mom in the most recent manga chapter 204 lol]

The sad part I think is this series probably won't gain as much mainstream success because of its topics about gangs... There's always a stigma around that topic, but the series does make you rethink that gangs are still made up of humans, which may seem a bit naive, but I guess that's part of neutralizing the stigma a little. Not to say gangs arent involved in dangerous things still, but not to immediately associate all gangsters as inherently "bad". Even the simple things / stereotypes that are often associated to "gangsters" like having tattoos and questioning why a tattoo is so frowned upon in some cultures. Thus is the power of anime and sympathizing with fictional characters, i guess lol
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:32 am Reply with quote
OK, Hinata is wonderful and brave, and I wonder if her unchanging death in future wasn't completely accidental and doesn't have something with her standing up to the Manji gang at some point. The warning Mikey gave her about "it could turn out bad with some other people" can sound ominously prophetic.

Both delinquent bosses have great design, especially Draken looks awesome, even if it's hard to believe he's middle schooler, repeating years or not. Mikey has his charm too.

Gina Szanboti wrote:

Quote:
There's still the whole time-leap age gap thing to contend with

In this case, I don't have a problem with it. It's not exactly an adult just falling in love with a teenager (or a grade schooler as in Erased) and taking advantage of his physical age to get over. He was already in love with her the first time he was a teen, so seeing her again is just reliving and/or rekindling those old feelings. I don't find that creepy. It seems eminently human to me. I'd think it was much weirder if he was all, "Ick, no, I'm an adult now, I can't still love her. I just have to pretend like I do while being careful to not actually feel anything for her."

I think the reviewer's point is more that getting to any of the so called "bases" would be wrong/creepy, and if so then I agree. I myself think there's nothing wrong with going on dates with her and eating ice-cream while discussing movie they just watched, or having each other's back in the dangers to come, and it doesn't seem like that couple ever got to the further stuff anyway.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I just found out the manga is currently at volume 21. I wonder how much of the source materials will be covered by the anime, or if they'll give it an anime original ending. From the premise alone, I didn't expect this to be lengthy or lasting more than one season.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Dian Z wrote:
I just found out the manga is currently at volume 21. I wonder how much of the source materials will be covered by the anime, or if they'll give it an anime original ending. From the premise alone, I didn't expect this to be lengthy or lasting more than one season.

To give you an idea of pacing (I'm not reading ahead), the third episode finished volume 1. The first two episodes were one chapter each (roughly triple and double length chapters) and the third episode was the remaining three chapters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9