• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Shadows House

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
How much the humans understand all of this is up for debate;

No the two people in the train clearly said that everyone in town is brainwashed by the soot.
Quote:
Certainly he could have been the one to take Emilico, but the person who has her now blindfolded and tied up looks like a giant.

Ooh I didn't even notice the big furniture I just noticed the voice not being Hatano Wataru.
Also was anyone else worriy that that Kate's cure for soot-brain would get Emilico killed via water intoxication?
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:29 pm Reply with quote
^Not Me! I have gotten myself water-intoxicated and it takes way more than that and it is life threatening only in very specific instances. Throwing the water up actually works against the effect, you have to ingest it and have it stay to alter the electrolyte balance in the body. Emilico is a Sturdy Doll after all... Smile
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:39 am Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
Quote:
How much the humans understand all of this is up for debate;

No the two people in the train clearly said that everyone in town is brainwashed by the soot.

Right, but they're Shadows - that's the assumption they'd make because it most benefits them. Although I meant the question more in terms of whether or not any of the humans have awareness of what their lives were like previous to the whole "offerings" and free coal situation.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:31 am Reply with quote
I don't like this anime-original subplot. First, either Edward has gotten the worst disguise possible to kidnap Emilyko or a third party, likely spoiler[Robe sama], has disguised as Edward disguised as a veiled doll... which makes no sense. Edward is now the administrator of the children's building, and as far as he knows Emilyko is high up to her eyeballs on the coffee. And as for spoiler[Robe sama, they are way too cautious for this nonsense and could have been introduced on the nightwatch arc and kept Kate finding about them through Emilyko's journal]. And there's Louise agreeing to commit high treason for the pettiest of reason and everyone plotting this in front of Lou and Ricky, who are still brainwashed and should react as Shaun did when John questioned the house. Plus all the character development that was cut. This reeks of checklist effect.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Edward dressed as a Veiled Doll, but I have my doubts about that. Certainly he could have been the one to take Emilico, but the person who has her now blindfolded and tied up looks like a giant.

For what it's worth, while the voice of the person who has Emilco is clearly not Edward's, my wife pointed out that that the credits of the episode clearly say "Edward (female)" and give a different Japanese voice actress for that character. That implies that it is somehow Edward, but with a different voice (though I suppose it could only be saying that this is the person we assume is Edward.)
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I'll point out that there was a round cloud of soot on Edward's neck as he spoke.
I was caught off guard with this development. As soon as I saw the (gigantic) piano I thought it was Edward, but then came the female voice and I wondered if it might actually be [redacted] weirdly enough.
Edward getting caught by Louise because of his pants made me chuckle, that's so in-character for him Laughing
It's a shame that they had to rush to get to John's scene. There was some exposition about how the daily lives of debuted kids goes on and how soot powers work, as well as a formal introduction tot he star bearers; but most importantly it had a cool plan from Kate's part and way more insight into the relationship between John and Shawn and how much the presnet situation frustrates John, plus a clearer explanation as to why the punchout decaffeinated Shawn.

Anyway, I'm leery of this anime original arc. Coming from the manga and knowing how the house and the brainwashing operate, what Kate has been doing (outside her room) and what they plan to do next is absolutely outrageous. spoiler[At this point Patrick and Louise should be reeling at the mere thought ot setting foot on the adult's house uninvited], let alone their still fully brainwashed living dolls, I hope they do something with them (maybe they'll make it so Louise's soot overwrote grampa's commands inside Lou?).
Needless to say, what is going on right now makes it impossible to neatly connect into the next manga arc (which was already very difficult by omitting one character... who would have been interesting to have for THIS original arc) so maybe this will be intended as a full closure for the show?
I also heard that Somato said that this storyline was originally planned as an alternative for the arc after chapter spoiler[86]. For reference, the punchout scene is chapter spoiler[51].

All in all, what puzzles me the most is why they're going with an anime original finale after the rest of the season has been an almost panel by panel adaptation, sans some omissions. I feel this episode would flow much more cleanly if they had modified and introduced more stuff in previous episodes.
cheshire1501

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Surprise, it's The Promised Neverland all over again (seriously, tonally this adaptation is a mess. If you want a close equivalent, the manga is closer to western cartoons from the 80's. Think the Great Mouse Detective, but with more supernatural horror thrown in)

Cloverwrecks needs to be stopped
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:45 pm Reply with quote
cheshire1501 wrote:
Surprise, it's The Promised Neverland all over again (seriously, tonally this adaptation is a mess. If you want a close equivalent, the manga is closer to western cartoons from the 80's. Think the Great Mouse Detective, but with more supernatural horror thrown in)

Cloverwrecks needs to be stopped

I'd say there's a huge difference between an anime original ending, regardless of how gracefully or not its execution is, and rushing through several seasons worth of content wrecking everything along the way to the point that a full season's worth of story is summarized into a 30-second powerpoint presentation.
cheshire1501

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'd say there's a huge difference between an anime original ending, regardless of how gracefully or not its execution is, and rushing through several seasons worth of content wrecking everything along the way to the point that a full season's worth of story is summarized into a 30-second powerpoint presentation.

I was talking about tone, not pacing (although that applies here too)
The tone issue also applies to TPN as well
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:34 pm Reply with quote
cheshire1501 wrote:
I was talking about tone, not pacing (although that applies here too)
The tone issue also applies to TPN as well

The Promised Neverland was a train wreck, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the tone of the Shadows House anime, even if it is different to the manga. It's not nearly as different in tone as say Ga Rei Zero and the Ga Rei manga, and I prefer the anime tone in that case, as in here.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
I'll point out that there was a round cloud of soot on Edward's neck as he spoke. I was caught off guard with this development. As soon as I saw the (gigantic) piano I thought it was Edward, but then came the female voice
I saw and thought the same, now Ep11 shows that those were clues as Shadow-Edward can spoiler[modify his voice], which is a little in line with the music motif we saw in Ep8. Dang them though, a cliff-hanger for Ep12...
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:26 pm Reply with quote
So uh, ut was better than expected. Emilyko easily deescalated her situation by being herself, Louise was excellent and everything was more or less coherent.
Barbara telling Patrick about Edward was weird and breaking Ricky and Lou's brainwashing with off-hand comments is just... no. That was almost insulting to Kate and John Laughing
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
breaking Ricky and Lou's brainwashing with off-hand comments is just... no. That was almost insulting to Kate and John Laughing

I delude myself by pretending that it was Patrick and Louise treating Ricky and Lou like people in their own right that broke the brainwashing spell.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:
breaking Ricky and Lou's brainwashing with off-hand comments is just... no. That was almost insulting to Kate and John Laughing

I delude myself by pretending that it was Patrick and Louise treating Ricky and Lou like people in their own right that broke the brainwashing spell.

I mean, it's supposed to be, to some extent. But it shouldn't be nearly enough, specially after what the others had to go through.
consignia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:01 pm Reply with quote
As this anime originial terroritry I believe, I do have a question for the manga readers: Is there really so much repitition of the "John punch" line in the original? It seems like one of those things were anime original material likes to take things from the source that are iconic and repeat them no end.

I think it's quite amusing either way, but it does stick out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10