• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Shadows House

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:43 pm Reply with quote
It's a crying shame it's not licensed. I wouldn't even mind if it's the coloured version or not, it'd just be nice to support it legally (I bought a volume of the manga from JP but I want to support an ENG version too...)

Would be nice if it gets picked up because of the anime. It'd be cool if the publisher could at least have some coloured pages at the start, though I know it'd be expensive..
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:52 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
It's a crying shame it's not licensed. I wouldn't even mind if it's the coloured version or not, it'd just be nice to support it legally (I bought a volume of the manga from JP but I want to support an ENG version too...)

Would be nice if it gets picked up because of the anime. It'd be cool if the publisher could at least have some coloured pages at the start, though I know it'd be expensive..

Initial pages and some chapter illustrations do get color pages in all current localized versions, although I can't vouch on how much an American publisher might cheap out (although it's a pretty average amount anyway).

I was just, uh, commenting on availiable options in the unlicensed space. Afterall you don't get fully colored manga often and it would be a shame to miss it.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:53 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Another series that I am probably going to want to read the manga but it is not licensed. Sigh!

The license would probably not be the colored version. Unless they went the extra mile in the digital options.

I honestly read on my Black & White Kindle so I wouldn’t be getting it in color regardless

I just want to be able to read the story. It sucks when these one cour series end up feeling like advertisements for the manga except we don’t actually get the manga.

But I would hope if this is licensed they would license the color version for people who do buy the manga in print.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, here it was, the moment I was holding of for: remember that scene after the ED in episode 2? That's exactly the same scene we saw at the start of this episode: Sara thrashed Mia's room with the purpose of finding and destroying anything related to Emilyko. The anime skipped it, but spoiler[since Sara's room is on top of Kate, Emilyko and Mia traded letters through the windows using a rope, so Sara was probably aware that they were up to something]. Basically they changed Sara's depiction as an abusive noblewoman to an outright unhinged one.
Funi's subs got the subject wrong in a line there (again): of course Sara has already debuted, she said as much in episode two, it's Kate and Emilyko who haven't and thus getting close to that living doll right now is a waste of time that doesn't help Sara improve her position.

As for the rest, they did better than I expected. I really wanted to see these kids and their soot in action.
I thought people might get the wrong idea about what kind of character Louise is, but Sakura Ayane's performance might make it clearer. I also noticed some details that I didn't when reading, like Emilyko pinching her butt to restrain her food joy.
Oh, and they omitted a couple of very important lines from Kate, but they might very easily reintroduce them later so I'll hold off until the season ends.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, I for one am caught up in enjoying the show being presented and Ep5 ended with disappointment because I have to wait until next week to see what happens! So much advanced this Ep and we are getting a sense of the personalities in play and how they are "supposed" to be. However, I'll bet that Kate/Emilico as the underdogs will be shown to have "the right stuff" but I'm really getting worried for Shirley/Rum...
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Well, here it was, the moment I was holding of for: remember that scene after the ED in episode 2? That's exactly the same scene we saw at the start of this episode: Sara thrashed Mia's room with the purpose of finding and destroying anything related to Emilyko. The anime skipped it, but spoiler[since Sara's room is on top of Kate, Emilyko and Mia traded letters through the windows using a rope, so Sara was probably aware that they were up to something]. Basically they changed Sara's depiction as an abusive noblewoman to an outright unhinged one.

How to say what I saw in the interaction... no sense skimping on the words... Mia climaxed at being physical beat, an interaction she was not only prepared for but one Mia initiated. It's hard to properly define someone as a sadist when they're standing next to a masochist.

Sarah's abusive? Possessive. Unhinged? I'd use that label on Mia but I've felt that since the four way interaction between the two shadows and two faces. 3 out of 4 people were who they were, Mia was not.

I'm all caught up on this series now and my only two complaints are mild at best: 1 The opener really should be an Ali Project number; The closer tries to mimic one but it doesn't quite hit the beat right.
2 This series reminded me of my fondness of the stylized art of Ed Gorey, especially in how the shading is made and used; Also, the style is Edwardian rather than Victorian right? One small issue, just a bit too much color which is to say any color at all. I keep wanting to see the whole issue as a complete transpositive but the art isn't black and white enough for that. Also, once I saw the five colors of the five debuts as being Sentai colors in the closer, I can't unsee it.
Red hero, blue is lancer, yellow is... uh huh, green is... right and purple is...
Pink would be easier but purple now, that is a horse of a different color.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Funi's subs got the subject wrong in a line there (again): of course Sara has already debuted, she said as much in episode two,

Yeah, I noticed that. I was pretty confused reading Mia say "we have't debuted yet" despite knowing she did.

Anyway I finally got to see John so I'm happy.
Rick and Patrick's VA did a great job capturing their obnoxiousness spoiler[though they really are good boys in actuality]

Edward was so intense. He was always pretty creepy in the manga but seeing his wide eyed grin animated really shows how frightening he is
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ricky and Lou both have the most symbiotic, and therefore desirable by the Shadows' standards, relationships. While neither is quite as polished as Mia and Sarah, they still do a remarkable job of erasing their own personalities for their masters

I don't think Ricky erases his personality, rather he happened to have the personality that Patrick would like - and pretends - to be. That's why they have a bit of reversal of normal Shadow-Doll relations, with Ricky leading Patrick at times.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:12 pm Reply with quote
The last couple of episodes has seen the story turn to an increasing intellectual one having established the setting and I'm loving it more. I think we will see that Kate/Emilico will challenge how rigid the "family" is and whether "Lord Grandfather" is looking for another of the same sort of member as the present crew or if he is really looking for "new blood". If the latter, Kate/Emilico will definitely triumph because Kate at least isn't looking to be "the perfect shadow" and she is smart and perceptive enough to see "the game" and not play it. Likewise, John/Shaun may have better chances than they seem to have (but not with Kate, really how do the shadows reproduce??). But in any case, I'd bet that smoke signal is definitely Kate and Emilico will pick up on that...
Violet Park

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Right now the only ones having fun with this debut aside from Emilyko are the shadow nobles. Shaun doesn't have his glasses, Rum is on the verge of an emotional breakdown, Ricky is being haunted by either bad luck or karma, Edward can't even enjoy tormenting the kids because he is being evaluated too... Living in the shadow house is truly a pain for everyone except the powerful.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:56 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
Quote:
Ricky and Lou both have the most symbiotic, and therefore desirable by the Shadows' standards, relationships. While neither is quite as polished as Mia and Sarah, they still do a remarkable job of erasing their own personalities for their masters

I don't think Ricky erases his personality, rather he happened to have the personality that Patrick would like - and pretends - to be. That's why they have a bit of reversal of normal Shadow-Doll relations, with Ricky leading Patrick at times.

Yes, I'd say Ricky is the stronger personality. He's a lot quicker and more proactive than his master, and he's apparently very good at (not so) subtly taking the lead when Patrick stumbles or hesitates.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:56 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
Quote:

Yes, I'd say Ricky is the stronger personality. He's a lot quicker and more proactive than his master, and he's apparently very good at (not so) subtly taking the lead when Patrick stumbles or hesitates.

And opposed to the reviewer's thoughts on Patrick's demotion, I thought it was said or at least agreed upon in the show that it was because Ricky led the group to start dancing and not Patrick rather than them dancing at all.

It's not really arbitrary and it showed visibly on Edward's face he didn't want to demote them.

And I have to say that I really like John and his blunt, stupid forwardness... forward blunt stupidity?... and how well it matches Kate's quiet calculating presence. A shadow that knows his place... must resist talking about Peter Pan.... And those Darling children, Michael, Wendy and what's his name...

But it is obvious, yes?
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:23 pm Reply with quote
A warning about Funi's translations (again): in one of Edward's inner monologues, he's being deliberately vague about the identity of the subject and doesn't give any names. But Funi's translators decided to assume names anyways and write them in there so they're likely to cause misunderstandings.

Anyway, gotta love Emilyko. How she so easily defused that fight between the boys despite their efforts to the contrary.
Also, I didn't expect Ricky to be so... loud.

Quote:
and he's determined to make things as difficult as possible for the pairs trying to pass it, largely out of some possibly misplaced idea that if he passes all of them he won't be seen as “serious.”

Is it misplaced though? The House seems to have lots of rules and expectations, and those adult shadows watching don't seem very nice.

Violet Park wrote:
Right now the only ones having fun with this debut aside from Emilyko are the shadow nobles. Shaun doesn't have his glasses, Rum is on the verge of an emotional breakdown, Ricky is being haunted by either bad luck or karma, Edward can't even enjoy tormenting the kids because he is being evaluated too... Living in the shadow house is truly a pain for everyone except the powerful.

I think Ram has never been any happier than she's right now Laughing Look at her getting closer to her gal pal and being proud about it.[/quote]
SHD

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Therefore, when Emilico is given the nickname “Sunshine,” it's not the jab Barbie and her ilk intend; it's a statement of who her shadow mistress wants her to be.

Note though, that "Sunshine" is just the translator's choice for the original "Ohanabatake" which means a "flower garden" and refers to the phrase "she has a flower bed for brains" - that is, "she's a dumb weirdo who lives in her own little fantasy world".
Violet Park

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:44 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Quote:
Therefore, when Emilico is given the nickname “Sunshine,” it's not the jab Barbie and her ilk intend; it's a statement of who her shadow mistress wants her to be.

Note though, that "Sunshine" is just the translator's choice for the original "Ohanabatake" which means a "flower garden" and refers to the phrase "she has a flower bed for brains" - that is, "she's a dumb weirdo who lives in her own little fantasy world".

It works more or less the same, though. Emilyko has gained allies and solved difficult problems because of her unique approach/mindset.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10