• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Megalobox 2: Nomad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:47 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
I don't think Sachio can be blamed for anything - he was just a young kid whose found family slowly fell apart right in front of his eyes because the remaining father/brother figure he had was unable to deal with his own pain, let alone the pain of others. I don't think a child can be blamed for not handling a situation like this well.

Joe is the one who should have known better, so there's no excuse for him not being a responsibile adult - from him throwing himself into the match against Liu to eventually running away, all the while hating himself for doing all these things. But this is who Joe is, or rather, who he used to be. The reason why this story feels so real is that so, so many people would have made similar decisions in similar circumstances. It's easy to point at others (even fictional characters) and say "ugh he's so stupid/annoying, why didn't he do the right thing" but let's be honest, we're all humans and as such, extremely fallible. (Also, while again this is no excuse, it's not like Joe was all that mature at the time. Come to think of it, how old is he, anyway? He was still pretty young during S1.)

Anyway, Megalobox, both S1 and now Nomad, is such a great example of how you don't need to reinvent the wheel to make a good show - you just have to make a good show. In lesser hands - worse writing, worse direction, etc. - this show would be a formulaic, mediocre affair. Instead it is full of personality, charming and relatable characters, great direction, etc. This is what happens when you don't just regurgitate tropes and formulas and call it a day, but actually put some thought into how to use them to build something of real value.

Sachio due to his rash actions threatens once again to destroy everything his friends worked for, and then once Joe solves everything he getsd back to pointlessly angry moping boxer. I don't see him as much better then the boy that tried to make friends with bronw-people haters - another misguided youth that thinks he got all the answers
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:09 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
I don't think Sachio can be blamed for anything - he was just a young kid whose found family slowly fell apart right in front of his eyes because the remaining father/brother figure he had was unable to deal with his own pain, let alone the pain of others.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:
Agreed. Just clarifying that I wasn’t blaming Sachio, just meaning that Joe does deserve some blame even though his fault was letting things break him rather than intentionally doing the wrong thing.

I'm quite fine with blaming Sachio. Not only he tries to reenact all the Joe's errors, he hurts his friends due to his dumb hothead actions and then refuses to apologize even as Joe is the one to save them all again from Sachio's dumbassery. There is only so much you can blame on youth before you can come to acknowledging some characters just suck, and frankly Sachio sucks.

To re-clarify, I was talking about not blaming him for his part in the flashback situation when he genuinely was a child. He does currently suck, but it also makes some sense that the original unfair situation could put him on a path to becoming a messed-up person in serious need of his own redemption arc.

His current character is mildly infuriating to me and I found Joe’s depression a lot more relatable than Sachio’s violently lashing out at his friends, but I do think an additional part of it is essentially a matter of timing. If it was Sachio who’d had his coincidental-turning-point arc in the first few episodes and then was shown trying to make amends while Joe continued to wallow in painkillers and self pity for episode after episode, my feelings would probably have been partially reversed.

Part of the interesting thing about this season and the original Ashita no Joe is not being scared of having main characters genuinely suck at times and genuinely need redemption, rather than just being slightly misguided or misunderstood heroic figures.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:58 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
Sachio due to his rash actions threatens once again to destroy everything his friends worked for, and then once Joe solves everything he getsd back to pointlessly angry moping boxer. I don't see him as much better then the boy that tried to make friends with bronw-people haters - another misguided youth that thinks he got all the answers

Psst, I wrote all that about past Sachio, not present time Sachio. Present time Sachio is being bitter and stubborn, and he keeps making mistakes, but then again, who wouldn't, especially with someone with his background? For most of us, going of through life is basically f*cking up and then dealing with it, rinse and repeat. Also, maybe it's just me but I don't particularly expect characters in shows to always do the right thing or strive to do the right thing or whatever. Characters are allowed to be fudge-ups, that's what makes them interesting and relatable.

Also, nobody is saying that Sachio is not benig stupid. The show itself keeps saying as much. But the show also knows that it's important to understand why he's doing all that, same with understanding why Joe did what he did, etc. It's not an excuse, it's not absolving them of blame. It's simply empathy, understanding where the characters are coming from, what makes them tick, what makes them do certain things.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Here in these cursed lands, we say that moments like the whole scene of the fight in this episode "washes the soul".
And that audio design deserves a special award.

So good.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Checked out the two new dub episodes that came out today (since that's how I watched the first season, although Nomad's positive reviews made it too hard to wait haha). The new ADR director/writing team really captured the spirit of Viz/Bang Zoom's S1 dub, and the two leads from S1 sound like they haven't missed a beat from their last recording session, with Kaiji Tang sounding appropriately done with everything. I especially loved Guerrero's take on Chief. An actor doing an accent they're comfortable with is one thing, but I also just felt a lot of gravitas and cheerful weariness from his acting alone. My only complaint honestly was that I wasn't really sold on Jalitza Delgado's take on Mara (she's a newer, young actress and well... she sounds distractingly young next to the character design and not entirely comfortable with the role).

I was really surprised they managed to dub his introduction song too considering its also the show's ED (the latter obviously left the same). I hope more people who did watch the first season dubbed will now check this season out - it deserves more eyes on it!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The Spanish title for this episode is "Una sola mano no basta para vivir, pero aun así la forma de vivir prevalece,” and Wikipedia tells me that this can be translated to "The way in which to live cannot be counted on one hand, even still there are ways to survive."

There are probably idioms there I'm not familiar with, but it more literally translates to "One hand alone is not enough in order to live, but even so, that way of living prevails." I would take that to mean that you can't live alone or without a helping hand, but nevertheless a lot of people still keep trying to. In which case, I'd think the title is referring to Sachio, and maybe a little bit to Mac (who seems to be trying to shoulder all his family problems himself without their help or input), in counterpoint to everyone else slowly moving forward in accepting help from others.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
The Spanish title for this episode is "Una sola mano no basta para vivir, pero aun así la forma de vivir prevalece,” and Wikipedia tells me that this can be translated to "The way in which to live cannot be counted on one hand, even still there are ways to survive."

There are probably idioms there I'm not familiar with, but it more literally translates to "One hand alone is not enough in order to live, but even so, that way of living prevails." I would take that to mean that you can't live alone or without a helping hand, but nevertheless a lot of people still keep trying to. In which case, I'd think the title is referring to Sachio, and maybe a little bit to Mac (who seems to be trying to shoulder all his family problems himself without their help or input), in counterpoint to everyone else slowly moving forward in accepting help from others.

This is really awesome to know, thank you!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:13 pm Reply with quote
^ Well, that's assuming that's right. Smile I just thought the Wiki translation seemed redundant (and added a whole lot of words that weren't in there or implied). It boiled down to "countless (or more than five!) ways to live, but even so you can survive"? That doesn't make sense to me, because the "pero aun así" (but even so) suggests the second clause is a counter to the first, when in the Wiki version it basically says the same thing.

Thinking about it some more, I think I'd go with "endures" or "persists" rather than "prevails," since I don't think "prevalece" is used here in the sense of becoming dominant.

But my Spanish is extremely rusty these days, so I'm not quite as confident about this as I might sound. Wink
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:36 am Reply with quote
In regards to the Spanish phrases at the end of each episode, i have to say -as a native speaker- that they feel like they were very roughly translated from Japanese to Spanish, because the Spanish grammar is very wonky. I can imagine that, even with the expertise of Spanish-speaking staff, the kind of ideas they're trying to convey would be hard to translate, which results in wonky Spanish and some meaning getting lost. The phrase being discussed above is a prime example of this

Quote:
"Una sola mano no basta para vivir, pero aun así la forma de vivir prevalece,”

My assumption is that the original Japanese phrase included the word 生き方 (way of life, way of living) which is where "la forma de vivir" was translated from, but it makes for very awkward Spanish. Of course i'm not even entirely sure what the phrase is supposed to mean, notably what or whose "way of life" prevails so it's hard to offer an alternative but "forma de vida" or maybe "modo de vida" would sound more natural in my opinion.

Speaking of Spanish idioms and adages, the phrase in Nambu's rosary "Dios aprieta pero no ahorca" (lit. God may squeeze you but he won't choke you) is an actual Spanish saying that roughly means "things may be rough right now but it's not bad enough that you can't handle it". I can't remember if he had that rosary in season 1 but it makes me wonder if it's being implied that he also immigrated like Chief and Mac

Something else I noticed this week that may be of interest to the reviews: the lyrics for the ending song are actually the hummingbird and traveler story from the book Mac reads to Miguel. The song ends with the traveler continuing on his way and the hummingbird flying away, and it proclaims "[they] won't return"
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:37 am Reply with quote
I was actually hoping you'd weigh in on this. Smile What I'm more curious about though is the meaning of "Una sola mano no basta..." My ignorant reading of that was very different from what Wiki's was, so I'm wondering which you think is more "correct" or if you could explain how they might've gotten that "can't be counted on one hand" part from it.

Btw, fwiw I found this subtitle on what I guess is a Japanese wiki site: 生きる術は片手じゃ足りないが、生き方はそれでも余る if that helps you any (maybe there are clues on the page to indicate their source). I always figured the Spanish was translated from the Japanese, but I wonder if the above Japanese was translated from Spanish translated from Japanese. Very Happy
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:23 pm Reply with quote
#Fim
We where really fortunate, right? To think that this second season happened kinda by change.
No comments necessary, I'm just grateful.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:42 am Reply with quote
I thought it was a great ending (and a nice review, too!), except for one quibble. There's no way that arena would've let Joe leave the ring to cheers. He'd have been pelted with garbage for conceding before he was beaten to a pulp (even though it was his corner, and not him who surrendered). Hell, they would've been throwing shit at him before he even left the ring. I've seen the vitriol heaped on boxers who get knocked out in early rounds of an over-hyped PPV fight, and it's not pretty. So given that the crowd came to see blood and were denied, and did not have any motive to take any lessons from this fight themselves (never mind those who bet large on Joe), all that good sportsmanship seemed just a little too rosy to me.
Gho5tRUN3R

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I get it, it's not about the fight it's about the growth of these two characters. But it felt like such a let down when Sachio threw the towel in at just round 2. Joe looked like he was finally old Joe and then nothing. I had hoped that Mac would enter Mac time and Joe would have to find a way to stop him that didn't involve a head injury. Mac suddenly just acquiring "his own determination" to fight off Mac Time felt incredibly forced in an effort to save time.

It felt like this episode needed to be 2 episodes between the drama and build up around the fight and then everything involving Shirato. Megalobox has this, I don't know if I can say bad, but obnoxious habit where it kind of wraps things up with a handwave as the newspaper articles and TV news segments are expected to give us enough information on what all happened. I thought that deal with Rosco was for him to avoid jail time and then suddenly an article says he's arrested for his involvement. Nothing else explained or shown, just I guess someone went back on their word? It was strange to me.

I still loved this season, but I felt really disappointed with how it went about this last episode. The actual ending and where everyone wound up was fine. I just wish they made more with the middle bit between the fight, the Shirato siblings doing their thing, and Sachio and the kids.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I found this second season to be pretty great, though I can't help but feel a but underwhelmed by the finale. Not so much by the lack of exciting boxing, but more by how overstuffed the finale felt. The whole back half of the show was good, but definitely a step down from the stellar first half. There were too many characters and too much happening and it all wrapped up so quickly that I was left wishing there was at least one more episode to pace things out a bit better. I also wish the immigrant town and characters had been woven into the rest of the show a bit more. It would've made the whole package a little more cohesive, although that wouldn't have done the pacing any favors unless they started shaving things down in other places.

Quote:
I thought that deal with Rosco was for him to avoid jail time and then suddenly an article says he's arrested for his involvement. Nothing else explained or shown, just I guess someone went back on their word? It was strange to me.

I found that a bit odd too, but the way I interpreted it was that Rosco simply didn't take the deal. He stubbornly wanted things his way, not Mac's way. Alternatively, perhaps he did have a change of heart, but his way of "taking responsibility" was to refuse the deal and accept the full repercussions of his actions willingly. I think either of these options could make sense for his character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4