• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Super Cub

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
I really can't understand why people are still watching with this mindset.
If the characters followed the rules all the time would feel "false" tor me, that they don't makes them feel more.. "human".
Makes me a bit sad that the moment of peak happiness arrives for the character, the climax of the series in a sense, and all that a lot of people can pay attention to is anime physics and be shocked. Why wouldn't the two remove the helmets and jackets? Isn't only natural? After so many time thinking and searching things to put on their cubs and their bodies because of the income snow they remove most of it to play in the snow! Guys, hello?! Feel free and laugh and not care! This anime is very quiet but it's not emotionless, on the contrary, is full of emotions!

If the show is going to be silly, then I'm going to poke fun at it. I'm only human, that's natural!
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Nojay wrote:
My oldest brother got his face remodelled for him when he face-planted into gravel after coming off his motorbike while not wearing a helmet. The facial scars were still noticeable forty years afterwards. Having some kind of scrape protection, especially around the eyes is well worth it IMO.

Motorcycle helmets are an entirely different thing from foam bicycle hats - I launched myself into the air at about 60 mph during a track day high-side fall on my G650 Xmoto and smacked the pavement head/shoulder first while wearing a Bell RS-1 helmet (as well as about 30 pounds of track leathers, race boots and gloves, and impact attenuating knee, hip, tailbone, back, elbow, and shoulder armor). Some crushing of the internal EPS was noted (exactly what it was supposed to do), but the fiberglass/Kevlar composite shell had scratches in the surface but no indication of cracking. I only ride motorcycles with a full-face or (chin-bar closed) modular lid that is either ECE 22.05 or Snell 2010/2015/2020 certified.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Spring of 1967 my college roommate got a Honda 350 dirt bike. One bright Saturday afternoon he and a buddy took it out to explore state game lands. They did fine until they came across a string of barb wire that some idiot had fastened to two trees across a trail. He was wearing a helmet with a full bubble face mask. The bubble was hit at eye level and deflected the wire down until the lower half shattered. He ended up dragging a few feet of barb wire across his face just under his nose. The hospital did a good job of putting his upper lip back together though his nose had a small notch on one side were likely a barb passed through.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Not only that this episode was animated by the "B Team", it was even more obvious to me that the script needed one or two more rewrites.
This episode was terrible, I wrote a long rant explaining why but I'm not in the mood to translate to "gringo speak" now, so maybe latter.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Thank god Koguma is the responsible one of the duo, because she only did one thing right in that whole rescue sequence.
First and foremost, she took advantage of the situation to advertise Super Cub.
She didn't call anyone else before going, so she had no one to help and no one knew where they were if anything were to go wrong.
She refused emergency services, even a basic medical checkup. Which is something that seems to happen often in anime for whatever reason - why use specialized medical help when you have warm soup and unspecific "medicine" at home?
She didn't bring any blankets, coats (which I can understand since she's in a hurry) or offer her own coat to replace (some of?) her drenched clothes.
She asks Reiko to pick up her belongings while time is still of essence.
She picked up this weakened, barely conscious, freezing girl and put her in the [expletive] basket. Yes, very cute, but you're using her as a frecking windshield! The freezing girl. As a windshield. And that wouldn't have been necessary if she had called an ambulance.
But I guess they had to prove that a Cub is also a good rescue machine.

Letting her take a warm bath unsupervised is also bad because she could very easily pass out (although the bath itself is a good idea), but I won't blame Koguma for not knowing or thinking about that. However everything else is common sense and she failed at pretty much all of it.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Thank god Koguma is the responsible one of the duo, because she only did one thing right in that whole rescue sequence.

You are correct on all points, but missed pointing out that if Shii had internal injuries bouncing around in a wire basket would not do her any good.

Odd things that would almost certainly not happen in the real world would be a fall that breaks a welded steel bicycle frame not doing serious injury to the rider, and someone who is unable to move out of the water after falling not having any injuries that a hot bath and supper cannot cure. No signs of hypothermia (I shivered for about 2 hours after getting caught out at spring break and having to ride 4 hours in below freezing temperatures (this was several decades ago before I had a Cordura/Gore-Tex onesie, heated vest and grips, and a full touring fairing that blocks much of the wind)).

On the other hand, we knew Shii was going to be OK in the end, since Super Cub is a wholesome anime (wet underpants being laundered is as likely as close as we are to get to fan-service).

Last edited by Piglet the Grate on Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:26 pm Reply with quote
When Koguma asks Shii, "Are you OK?" appropriate responses would have been:

- Never mind me, how is my bike? Wink
- Do I look OK Question
- Would I be laying in a cold creek moaning if I was OK? Rolling Eyes
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
You are correct on all points, but missed pointing out that if Shii had internal injuries bouncing around in a wire basket would not do her any good.

Odd things that would almost certainly not happen in the real world would be a fall that breaks a welded steel bicycle frame not doing serious injury to the rider, and someone who is unable to move out of the water after falling not having any injuries that a hot bath and supper cannot cure.

Yeah... I was only considering hypothermia since that was the most pressing matter so I didn't even think about injuries (specially since the slope was kind of gentle).
I can say however that I once got a bike semi-wrecked (the wheels and chain mostly, but a weld also broke and it wasn't as small as the ones on Shiis' bike) and the worst I got was some scrapes on my kness and arms and a few bruises.

Piglet the Grate wrote:
When Koguma asks Shii, "Are you OK?" appropriate responses would have been:

- Never mind me, how is my bike? Wink
- Do I look OK Question
- Would I be laying in a cold creek moaning if I was OK? Rolling Eyes

The right first question would be
-Never mind me, how is my Alex Moulton? Wink
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Now that the initial shock lessened a bit I'm started to get mad about this.
You'll witnessed how much I loved this anime, and to see it "ruined" with a single episode is hard to accept!

Japan is awake already?
Any official statements and public apology about everything wrong this episode taught to the youths?
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
You'll witnessed how much I loved this anime, and to see it "ruined" with a single episode is hard to accept!

I am sad rather than mad (for the same reasons). Sad

A better storyboard would have been Koguma calling the Japanese equivalent of 911, then her and Reiko taking Shii the next day to Shino's to buy a scooter.
Millhi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:10 pm Reply with quote
@piglet They actually removed majority of the fan-service, I've seen the manga panels floating around for the scenes and question and the anime toned it down a lot. For example the manga visually shows Koguma stripping shii down to her bra and panties and the reiko shot you see in her full naked glory with her crotch being censored by a glass instead of just her back with panties on like the anime.

Panino Manino wrote:
Not only that this episode was animated by the "B Team", it was even more obvious to me that the script needed one or two more rewrites.
This episode was terrible, I wrote a long rant explaining why but I'm not in the mood to translate to "gringo speak" now, so maybe latter.

This B Team nonsense is so dumb, look at the listed staff, it's actually better off then some other episodes. ep 3, 5,6 would be more of a team B nonsense then ep 11. (besides they were all returnees from previous eps)

Panino Manino wrote:

Japan is awake already?
Any official statements and public apology about everything wrong this episode taught to the youths?

None so far and I don't expect any.

But man people sure are "mad" about this episode. Sure Koguma was in the wrong and she should have called emergency services but it's also in character for her to pull this kind of stunt in the first place. The show harped enough on it she lacks any sort of common sense in crucial times.

The very first new line in this episode was "My super cub will come to the rescue" I'm not sure what people actually expected after that.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Millhi wrote:
But man people sure are "mad" about this episode. Sure Koguma was in the wrong and she should have called emergency services but it's also in character for her to pull this kind of stunt in the first place. The show harped enough on it she lacks any sort of common sense in crucial times.

Koguma could have at least called Reiko before heading out on the Cat Trail so someone else would know where both her and Shii were. Idea
Millhi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:03 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:

Koguma could have at least called Reiko before heading out on the Cat Trail so someone else would know where both her and Shii were. Idea

!!!

(So that Reiko could call 911, Although I'm not sure she would have done that either Laughing )
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:09 am Reply with quote
So, there are strong chances that I am looking too hard, such that I was already, but am I the only one thinking that Shii likes girls, and probably and maybe has a crush on Koguma?

She called Koguma. She seemed to get rather embarrassed by the idea of Koguma putting up her underwear and went out of her way to put them out of sight. Reacted a certain way to seeing Reiko in the buff. Was saying something along the lines of wanting Koguma to bring Spring to her life? And keeps on asking them to come, but you know she is mostly aimed towards Koguma, just as she also seemed to ask to go on a flower viewing party like a date. And maybe also my imagination, but I think of her blush stickers getting stronger.

Maybe I really need to take off these goggles.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:33 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Letting her take a warm bath unsupervised is also bad because she could very easily pass out (although the bath itself is a good idea), but I won't blame Koguma for not knowing or thinking about that. However everything else is common sense and she failed at pretty much all of it.

Note that a hot bath (it was steaming) is a terrible idea for treating hypothermia, since the large temperature difference can damage the skin or cause irregular heartbeats. Pretty much everything Koguma did was the wrong thing to do for potential hypothermia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 13