• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Super Cub

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:48 pm Reply with quote
In context of the series now, Koguma is totally a delinquent, before long her and Reiko are going to create a bike gang.

Koguma on a road trip also had the feels of some of Yuru Camp, that had Rin going on her own road trips on a scooter. Even love of some good food is in line.
sourpatchthekid

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:46 pm Reply with quote
What's interesting about Super Cub is it's not a comedy. They're are light moments but they aren't really jokes like Yuru Camp would have. It's slow even by slice of life standards but it rules
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh no, my little girls are becoming delinquents.
So uh, it was nice but they skipped the license process again. She got off quite easily after her stunt, and she probably won't suffer much after the second one. Her LUC stat is quite high huh.
And so Reiko DID destroy her cub. It seems she did get some punishment in the end... although she's treating it more like a reward. Poor red mailbike.

A couple things about the bike: I hadn't noticed how the turn lights are built: up for right and down for left. Is this a common thing? Even if it's something "you get used to" it feels to me like an unnecessary safety hazard, as having it map right to right and left to left shouldn't be harder to manufacture or use. But on second thought I guess technically it's the same on most cars (although in the ones I've driven it's more upper-right than just up).
The other is about hills. Is it really that physically tiring to go uphill on a bike? I guess it must demand more effort since you aren't being craddled in a big seat, but it made me wonder whether the problem was the hill or her returning fever.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Koguma on a road trip also had the feels of some of Yuru Camp, that had Rin going on her own road trips on a scooter. Even love of some good food is in line.

The result isn't nearly as scenic though since it focuses a lot on the road... as expected.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Since Kamakura and Enoshima are major tourist areas, even in Sept. I'd expect her to encounter more traffic. Even in the off season, I'd think the locals would use 134 to get around for daily business. When she was planning her route it made me nervous that she didn't seem to consider the kind of urban traffic she'd encounter that was so different from what she'd been riding in. But then except for one town after the summit that had some light traffic, she barely encounters another car the entire trip, so no worries, I guess?

I was also a little disappointed that even though we saw a couple of other motorcycles, she never got to exchange a word or so much as a nod of camaraderie with their owners. Even if she's not up to that "advanced" level of social contact yet, it would've been interesting to see her reaction.

The narration (at least the sub) about her plate change confused me. I know everyone else understood it, but it sounded to me like she got a yellow plate because she got her license, rather than because she upgraded her engine from 49 cc to 52 cc. Since that made me curious about Reika's pink plate, I looked it up and learned that below 50 cc is blue on white, 51-90 cc is blue on yellow, 91-124 cc is blue on pink, and 125-250 cc is green on white and over 250 has an added green border. The first two digits in both of their plates should be a smaller size than the second two, but they're never drawn that way. Afaict, if there's no space or hyphen between the first two and second two digits the first digits are smaller. If there is a space or hyphen, or if there are 5 digits, then the numbers are all the same size. Also, in the first two places it can be a dot and one number instead of two numbers. The square above the kana to the left of the numerals is when the insurance expires. Koguma's expires in May.

At any rate, I did identify with her excitement over taking on that trip. Just seeing a picture of those big ol' green route signs over a freeway makes me long to get in my car (if I still had one) and hit the road.
Dirtyshadow

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:09 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Oh no, my little girls are becoming delinquents.

I think the school teachers barking at her, seemed a bit out of place and hypocritical when you consider the school made her drive between two towns for 6 weeks (and it was on a slower bike and a lower licence) where was the safety concern then. What are they going to do, call their parents OoOoO!!!

I also hope Reiko gets a CT110, while they talk about it being a farm bike... in Australia, CT110 (NBC110) is the Postie Bike. (and most sold bike in Australia)

Good to see Koguma excited about something else... Good Food! Makes up for all those cold lunches.

Yuvelir wrote:
I hadn't noticed how the turn lights are built: up for right and down for left. Is this a common thing?
Not common, only example of it I have seen is on Japanese scooters in Japan. Up and Down probably correspond to the same way it is in JDM Cars.

Its common for scooter design in Japan and Europe to make it easier for car drivers to transition to scooters. Foot brake often activates both front and rear brakes at the same time to make it easier for car drivers too.
Once you get up to Motorcycle license only bikes, its the common left-right slide switches

Yuvelir wrote:
The other is about hills. Is it really that physically tiring to go uphill on a bike?
I assumed it was the intermediate altitude sickness, 5th station is 2000m above sea level, and its the highest paved road point on that trail. Going above 2500m is when it can really kick in like for Reiko

Last edited by Dirtyshadow on Fri May 14, 2021 7:15 am; edited 3 times in total
Dirtyshadow

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:50 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I was also a little disappointed that even though we saw a couple of other motorcycles, she never got to exchange a word or so much as a nod of camaraderie with their owners.
That maybe a cultural thing, especially with strong adherence to society laws and attitudes towards motorcycles and/or association through hobbies. (ie parallel play)

I found a few years ago the "Nod" was really only common to Australia and England, traced back to horse riding ettiquete... in North America, they just left-hand off the handle bar and wave popularised by movies and advertising. So unsafe!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:23 am Reply with quote
I was just thinking a nod was the least thing, but what I really wanted was, when she was at the rest stop where there was another bike parked next to her, for the owner to come out and acknowledge her in some way, to see how she'd react. Would she be freaked out, pleased, proud?

As for nod vs (47 different kinds of) wave in North America, you still see both. Nodding was more common 30 years ago, but you still see it, depending on road conditions where you'd want to say hi to another biker. And Harley riders only acknowledge other Harley riders, because they think they're too good for everyone else. Wink (Harleys aren't bad bikes, if overpriced, but their mid-life-crisis riders have really given them a bad rep.)
Dirtyshadow

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 6:13 am Reply with quote
Last week I said it was hypocritical for the teachers to question if bike riding is safe, when they allowed her to spend 6 weeks shuttling between schools... and now the faculty approved them to ride again, this time with a sports equipment hand-cart tied to the rear rack of a scooter. Its not only unregistered, not road worthy, or an approved tow bar. *facepalm*

Teachers approved... they have no right to criticise the girls ever again!

I never seen a cargo dampening rig like that ever. Couldn't even guess what to google to find it (and I tried). That's over engineered wonder what they were originally built for? My guess military or medical supplies.
Nojay

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 6:20 am Reply with quote
Dirtyshadow wrote:
I never seen a cargo dampening rig like that ever. Couldn't even guess what to google to find it (and I tried). That's over engineered wonder what they were originally built for? My guess military or medical supplies.

It was mentioned in passing in the anime but any Japanese person would recognise it -- it's a hot-food delivery carrier for things like ramen, soup noodles and the like, anything with liquids.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:07 am Reply with quote
Out little Koguma is growing up so much that she can now shut off Reiko when she gets sidetracked and have some initiative.
And now we have our third cast member from the OP. She's so smol holy crap.

What was that weird contraption Reiko brought in? I've seen motion-dampening cargo boxes before, but never anything so... extra. Not even for ramen-carrying.
And while lighter in "advertisement" this episode, I had to roll my eyes when the two of them went like "I don't think motorbikes are awesome, Cubs are!"

Dirtyshadow wrote:
Last week I said it was hypocritical for the teachers to question if bike riding is safe, when they allowed her to spend 6 weeks shuttling between schools... and now the faculty approved them to ride again, this time with a sports equipment hand-cart tied to the rear rack of a scooter. Its not only unregistered, not road worthy, or an approved tow bar. *facepalm*

The problem last week wasn't that Koguma rode a bike, that's explicitly allowed in their school. The problem was that she used it for a long trip, while convalescent from a fever, without telling the teachers (who now have to make sure to be able to accomodate her), and in a situation where the school could be held responsible (as it was during school hours towards the school trip destination).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:18 am Reply with quote
Here's a pic of the real life thing.

But today's deliveries got nothin' on these artists:
https://www.spoon-tamago.com/2015/04/13/photographs-of-old-japans-glorious-art-of-soba-delivery/
Dirtyshadow

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:04 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, found references googling Soba Bike or Okamochi Bike.
Only available in Japan, which is why I never seen them... still thats a lot of engineering for soup!
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The next day, the “new character” plot kicks in when Koguma and Reiko overhear a group of students arguing over the fact that they can't borrow their teacher's car to transport some items. Through a bit of teenage confusion, it seems like no one actually asked their teacher to help: they all assumed someone else did. And of course, no one's parents can help, leaving them to ask if someone can just cart it on a bike. This, in particular, catches Koguma's attention
I think what specifically got her attention was when they started insisting that "no, you couldn't use a motorbike for this."

Does her name seriously just mean "baby bear"?
meiam

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Quote:
The next day, the “new character” plot kicks in when Koguma and Reiko overhear a group of students arguing over the fact that they can't borrow their teacher's car to transport some items. Through a bit of teenage confusion, it seems like no one actually asked their teacher to help: they all assumed someone else did. And of course, no one's parents can help, leaving them to ask if someone can just cart it on a bike. This, in particular, catches Koguma's attention
I think what specifically got her attention was when they started insisting that "no, you couldn't use a motorbike for this."

It felt like such a strange way to make it happens, there were millions of other way they could have done it (ask teacher now, get a parent, public transport, call the other establishment, use a cab) and so on. But noooooooo, it had to be about incredible cub are.
Nojay

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:12 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Yttrbio"]
Quote:

A quick check on Wikipedia for the light novel this anime is based on says her name kanji is "小熊" which can indeed be read as "small bear" or "bear cub" depending. The ko- beginning usually means child. Since the series is called "Super Cub", well...

The Wikipedia article doesn't mention Koguma-san's given name, only her surname. We did hear Reiko being called "Reiko-chan" by classmates in the anime and that's her given name.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 13