• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Super Cub

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 6:18 pm Reply with quote
chuckl wrote:
A Ducati is a little too much for this show. Shii should get a Vespa. But, being a Honda commercial, she probably won't get either.

If Shii's father does not have enough money to retire, he certainly cannot afford to buy her a Ducati - even a used Monster 696 would be brutally expensive to buy and insure, not to mention the tax and licensing requirements for bikes over 400-cc.

Also given Shii's stature, some sort of Monkey would be more appropriate.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 6:23 pm Reply with quote
metalpail wrote:
I really liked that clashing style diner. I would be completely at home there. But when Koguma's world lights up and the warmer color tones come in after her first drink of coffee. *Chef's kiss* I've felt that moment before.

I watched that segment again, and it is the sky going from normal daytime to sunset - but the timing to coincide with the first sip of coffee is certainly intentional.
Nojay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:17 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
and drives an imported truck American truck.

1971 or 1972 Chevrolet C10 (if I am not mistaken), which would be a very rare thing to find in Japan.

There's a second-hand market in Japan for US-made vehicles thanks to the big US military presence in places like Yokosuka (Japan's major Naval base) and Okinawa (US Marine Corps). Troops on long deployments bring their families to stay in Japan and they buy imported US-made vehicles since the steering wheel in Japanese vehicles is on the "wrong" side. When the families return to the States they don't take the cars and trucks with them and they get resold locally, usually to incoming US military personnel but some leak out into the Japanese community.
Dirtyshadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:

Would think for Shii a Honda CHF50 Crea Scoopy, its european styled scooter that was originally made for the American market. (it was in the bike shop in Ep1)

Episde 9... still surprised she hasn't gone with a face mask for winter.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Dirtyshadow wrote:
Piglet the Grate wrote:

Would think for Shii a Honda CHF50 Crea Scoopy, its european styled scooter that was originally made for the American market. (it was in the bike shop in Ep1)

Episde 9... still surprised she hasn't gone with a face mask for winter.

The Honda CHF50 is sold as the Metropolitan in the USA. Don't think the Crea Scoopy name would go over well here. Rolling Eyes

Even with a full-face helmet, a windproof balaclava with a neck skirt (or neck gaiter or scarf in combination with the balaclava) is necessary, as least for us crazy people who ride long-distances in below freezing weather (unlike a Super Cub, my BMW has enough extra electrical capacity to run heated grips and vest).
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I had to laugh when Koguma said that they don't know anyone who would conveniently give them a windshield for free. Like they haven't been living off free/ridiculously underpriced stuff the whole series, just when they needed it most.

As for the abrasive wool (which apparently is the best thing ever after Cubs), gotta give an award to sensei, she masterfully reduced the size and thickness of the jacket, gave it a nice finish, sewed some buttons plus brand new socks and somehow pulled all that off in what couldn't have been more than one hour.
Oh, and Reiko. The way she spoke and acted in spring made me think that she was a veteran, but apparently this is her first winter riding? I guess it's a very teenager (and not so teenager) thing to do: read about something that piques your interest and then start acting like an expert.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Watched first episode early last midnight and was "shocked". Shocked
Now this monologue in episode three... pure tears. Crying or Very sad

This anime... I shouldn't be feeling this way.

Sisyphusson66 wrote:
I thought, and frankly still do, that some of the early monologue from Koguma was redundant to what it was showing. We didn't need her to say that she had nothing and was alone. The animation, art, and direction demonstrate that fantastically well without it.

It's less "exposition" and more she talking with herself, I think, her reflections.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Reached episode 4th and it's so good...
Half this anime if about the girl curing her depression, right? That's why the colors vary in frequency an intensity, I guess. It's really well done and makes for the perfect Honda commercial. But it's not that her life changed because she found the Cub, on the contrary, she found the Cub because she wanted to change her life, she wasn't satisfied, she actively seeked a way out. That it was a Cub was only fortunate.

And damn... You really meet the nicest people with a Honda.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:28 am Reply with quote
"Men vs Nature", "Men vs Self" or "Men vs Men"?
Which on it is, or it's the three?

Incredible, it happened again. The anime that looked more easygoing and chill is actually much "deeper" than most anime full of big ideas and philosophies. I don't know how to even start because I'm still feeling...
But something nice in this episode was despite telling a Reiko side story it was as much about the protagonist (still don't remember her name). In just a few words near the end she explained how she is different from Reiko and we can understand more than she actually tells us because we've watching her. She probably would be able to climb the mountain, but she don't need to.

edit: a real pity to think that more people may be missing the point so much, looking but not seeing, only noticing and complaining about trifling details.
edit2: there's talk about the music. The thing about music that I noticed was that there's a track with a pretty similar vibe was this one classic FFVI track.

Last edited by Panino Manino on Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm up to date now, episode #9 was the least impressive.
This is something that will NEVER understand. Why women insist on using short skirts in winter?

Anyway, this anime is fantastic!
It's really a pure psychological story, about this character and her "depression". Everything is about it, nothing else matters. I was delighted and made some commentaries while watching on twitter that I'm too lazy to bring to there, but I also so much satisfied that I don't want to bother people that care more if all details are realistic or not.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:34 pm Reply with quote
MY GODDESS! Mother premonition never fails!
First time I saw her going that path I thought if it was dangerous. Second time I was sure it was dangerous, in the middle of winter, with the danger of snow.
Then at the cafe they mentioned the danger of animals... I already knew but I was praying that they wouldn't had the audacity of killer Shii, and do this specially to make Koguma suffer!
During the conversation between Koguma, Reiko and Shii's father you can see Koguma discovering something new. That not only her life changed in these last months, it changed so much to the point that she can be a light in someone's life. By immediately following that by make this influence lead to someone's death would be too cruel...

But I guess it's ok, because this still needs to work as a advertisement they just use this do show that Super Cub SAVES LIVES ISN'T AMAZING! BUY ONE NOW!
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:30 pm Reply with quote
When Shii hadn't arrived back home before the girls left, I started to worry. I don't think I saw a headlight on her bike, either, but I might have missed it.

One puzzling question is why Shii called Koguma rather than her parents.

I'm not too worried, though. This isn't that kind of show.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I had seen people playing in the snow until wearing their coats is bothersome. I had never seen people playing in the snow with their motorbikes until wearing their coats is bothersone. That's so silly, reckless and dangerous that I would have sooner expected it of Bakuon!

Panino Manino wrote:
But I guess it's ok, because this still needs to work as a advertisement they just use this do show that Super Cub SAVES LIVES ISN'T AMAZING! BUY ONE NOW!

Is there anything a Cub can't do? They even make winter fun by being the most appropriate vehicle for cold and ice!
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Or concluding "wow, falling off my bike must be more fun without my helmet!" I noted there was one part where Reiko was on the ground and Koguma fell off her bike right next to her... which means she was riding out of control right next to Reiko on the ground. I half-expected another little pop-up warning.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:

This is something that will NEVER understand. Why women insist on using short skirts in winter?

Not me - I am dressed up like a (road grimed) astronaut when I ride in the winter (but then these girls are not riding 500+ miles at 70+ mph speeds in -10° C temperatures either) with only my eyes uncovered behind a full-face helmet faceshield and my heated gear plugged in to the bike.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 13