• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Higehiro

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b-dragon

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 2:45 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks Yaguchi makes a good point here?

I mean, it's illegal to take an underage girl home, so they are both criminals, but the difference is Yaguchi is being more honest about it.

Only if you accept legality as equivalent to morality. And while Yoshida's decision to shelter Sayu does have some moral issues, he isn't, y'know, trying to blackmail and rape her.
There's "shades of gray" and there's "paint it black".
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:41 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks Yaguchi makes a good point here?

I mean, it's illegal to take an underage girl home, so they are both criminals, but the difference is Yaguchi is being more honest about it.

Do you think guy who being arrested for drunkenly driving and and causing a deadly accident while speeding screams about other car having one broken light has a point?
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Whew, Kousuke Toriumi at his oilest here, gross.

Kouhai rapidly losing waifu cred. I can only hope that context got scraped away like Yoshida's ex during the journey to the screen.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:35 am Reply with quote
I think starting episode 7's review with "Hoo boy..." is pretty on point. There is a lot to unpack in this episode especially.

The moment where Sayu slipped and fell on top of Yoshida, clumsily knocking them both onto the bed is probably the most "anime cliche" moment we've had in the series so far, which made it disappointing in some ways. Then again, the two character's reactions told us quite a bit about where they stand with each other. Sayu is shown as flustered and clearly unsure of how to respond next. Yoshida plays it cool and seems more concerned about the wet rag on his shirt. Dude either sees her as just a little sister figure or is incredibly good at keeping himself under control.

As for the rest of the episode, Suzuha didn't annoy me as much as she seems to have other viewers. I saw this episode as solidifying her role as the series' "Jiminy Cricket" conscience character for Yoshida. I may be proven wrong, but dropping "truth bombs" to get the other characters (and by default, the viewers) to think hard about the consequences of their actions seems to be her whole role.

I came away from this liking Gotou more, though still wary of her general excuses for why she won't date Yoshida (LOL to his having an older-woman-with-a-mole-on-her-face fetish going all the way back to high school.)

The big brother showing up is the catalyst this show needs to move into its final phase (a role I initially thought Rapist-kun would play in the storyline.)

Man, this is my favorite show of the season so far, just ahead of a similar-in-plot-but-not-tone Koikimo.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Akcoll99 wrote:
Yoshida plays it cool and seems more concerned about the wet rag on his shirt. Dude either sees her as just a little sister figure or is incredibly good at keeping himself under control.

As for the rest of the episode, Suzuha didn't annoy me as much as she seems to have other viewers.

Yoshida reacted a bit too slowly imo for either of those things. He definitely seemed like he had to take a moment to compose himself before making his next move. I think if he felt nothing he would have quickly reacted to the wet rag and more actively moved her off of him.

I wasn't really annoyed by Suzuha either. I appreciate her being so direct and even confessing (which I wasn't expecting) to be a nice change of pace. Airi's passiveness was more annoying for me
pip25

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I used to like Suzuha much more than Gotou, but what she is doing now is making her lose credibility pretty fast in my eyes, and now I doubt her intentions as much as I doubt her boss'.

Instead of honesty, I see little more than desperation. It is becoming increasingly clear to her that Yoshida is not interested, and she vents the frustration this realization brings on the very people she should not treat in such a manner: her boss and her crush. To make things worse, she is digging her grave even further by how, unlike Gotou, she refuses to acknowledge the position Sayu has in Yoshida's life at the moment, and instead of working around it, she tries to work against it - an effort that is doomed to fail.

Case in point: her movie invitation. She knows fully well that Sayu is making Yoshida dinner every day, changing plans for the evening at the last moment will no doubt inconvenience both of them, but Sayu especially. But Suzuha refuses to compromise (she could have invited Yoshida to see a move tomorrow, for crying out loud) - she would seemingly only be satisfied by winning against Sayu in some shape or form, as if the girl was a love rival. But that, she currently is not. It is not inconceivable that Sayu may become one at some point in the future, but Suzuha's current insistence only comes off as shockingly childish.
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Akcoll99 wrote:
Yoshida plays it cool and seems more concerned about the wet rag on his shirt. Dude either sees her as just a little sister figure or is incredibly good at keeping himself under control.

As for the rest of the episode, Suzuha didn't annoy me as much as she seems to have other viewers.

Yoshida reacted a bit too slowly imo for either of those things. He definitely seemed like he had to take a moment to compose himself before making his next move. I think if he felt nothing he would have quickly reacted to the wet rag and more actively moved her off of him.

I had the same impression. He's admitted before that Sayu can turn him on, so he used the wet rag as an excuse to get himself out of this situation in the least problem-causing way possible. Have to give him credit for keeping his head together on that. Will also agree that this was the most cliched scene to date in a series that has been remarkably adept at either avoiding or softening them.

As for Suzuha, I'll agree that she is being used by the story to try to keep both Yoshida and Gotou honest about their feelings, though she's also clearly doing it out of self-interest. Her confessions just confirms what we already expected and legitimizes her presence in this scenario. Otherwise, she'd just seem to be butting in for no good reason.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:39 am Reply with quote
It seemed to me like Suzuha was doing a lot of projecting when she was ranting at both Gotou and Yoshida about just doing what they wanted and deciding what was right for themselves without considering others' (i.e., Suzuha's) feelings. She didn't physically ball her fists and stamp her feet (that we could see), but she sure did verbally. If someone came at me like that, I sure as hell wouldn't give them my contact info. Yoshida is just too much of a pushover.

As for the tripping onto the bed, I just sighed. Rolling Eyes
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Re: Contact info - I just found it strange that she didn't already have it. They work close enough that you'd expect one to have to be able to reach out to the other for work related issues. Maybe it's just not a common thing in Japan like it is here?
Obviously if it wasn't contact info, it would have been something else for plot reasons, but that just seemed like an odd choice to me.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 9:18 am Reply with quote
OK, so I finally went and watched the episode, and while yes, Suzuha is definitely being pushy here (and, as Gina mentioned, projecting), I'd also like to be hopeful about her not actually outright sabotaging anything in the future, at the very least. I don't think highly of her -- we all need to be at least a little bit selfish about our own selves (and lives), but she's definitely fully aware that she's pretty low on the list anyway. And she does have the right to be open about her feelings just like anyone else, which she finally was at the end (of her screentime in this episode.)

I also found it puzzling that the review doesn't mention that Airi sharply told Suzuha to settle down (which was a fair request honestly), and she did at least act somewhat embarrasedly about having caused a scene. Her later argument with Yoshida did eat up some of that goodwill, but yeah....

The one thing that made me go "wait, what?!", though, was at the end, when Mr. McRapist helped Sayu avoid her brother, which, while nice of him, kind of felt at odds with what we've seen of him so far. Never mind when he said something along the lines of "I hate people who are rich excert their powers over less fortunate people", as if he hadn't done that with runaway Sayu himself earlier.

The rest of the episode, dumb falling gag aside (which was handled beautifully anyway; no automatic breast grab, no boner jokes, and so forth), was very nice. Sayu even asked Yoshida if he was OK with her handling the box in the closet (her specific wording being something along the lines of "you want me to leave it be?"), and Yoshida was even fine with her having a look through the photo album. Yeah, it was mostly done so the audience could learn he used to have a girlfriend, but the (relatively mild) respect for boundaries and sharing of private details were definitely the highlight after "The Suzuha Show" that made up most of the episode up to that point.

Makes me curious how the show will handle Sayu's older brother, it does.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 2:36 am Reply with quote
The tightrope walk started to wobble this week, as we come dangerous close to a more romantic relationship for the main couples.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:32 am Reply with quote
Suzuha continues to lecture everyone as a way to vent her own frustration. She may have a point with some of it, but it just gets undercut from my perspective as its at least partially a temper tantrum from a theoretical adult. Which is aggravating, still, but is at least in character- different from me being irate about Yaguchi's "moral code" which was just an inconsistent character presentation in the show (apparently not in the source material).

The show continues to push our leads together, and I still think that's a terrible idea. I've reluctantly chalked it up as inevitable at this point, but can see only one way of doing it that I would find even marginally acceptable- a separation and timeskip. And even that has several issues.

I've been hoping that the last few episodes would finally divulge Sayu's history- maybe next week, we can finally get those details. Or Yoshida gets hit by legal consequences. Or both! I don't have a good enough idea about the brother to make a good guess- He's wealthy (does that mean she is too?) Sayu fears him, but is that because of who he is, what he represents, both, or something else entirely? She hadn't really mentioned him specifically before.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, I imagine the way I felt about Suzuha this week is how others felt last week lol.
I didn't think we needed to see her break down at the end there though, that teeth grind grimace she did as Sayu and Yoshida acting like an old married couple spoke volumes already.
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
he eats cotton candy out of her mouth

Yikes, I must have seen the less saucy edit of this episode, haha. I think you meant that she fed him cotton candy, but this makes it sound like he was tongue wrestling her for that sweet, sweet sugar.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Amuro1X wrote:
Quote:
he eats cotton candy out of her mouth

Yikes, I must have seen the less saucy edit of this episode, haha. I think you meant that she fed him cotton candy, but this makes it sound like he was tongue wrestling her for that sweet, sweet sugar.

Haha, no kidding! Should be fixed now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 11