Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: To Your Eternity


Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
blahmoomoo



Joined: 27 Jan 2020
Posts: 162
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:27 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Apparently I was wrong and the deal was just "touch living being, have that living being die whenever and wherever"... which is less ideal for a journey about developing emotions and humanity.

I don't think it's as simple as being in physical contact with somebody before they die. Otherwise, he probably could turn into at least one of Hayase's soldiers that previously attacked him, and some other background characters who have likely died by now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yuvelir



Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 1324
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:33 am Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:
Apparently I was wrong and the deal was just "touch living being, have that living being die whenever and wherever"... which is less ideal for a journey about developing emotions and humanity.

I don't think it's as simple as being in physical contact with somebody before they die. Otherwise, he probably could turn into at least one of Hayase's soldiers that previously attacked him, and some other background characters who have likely died by now.

Well, he can turn into that one crab. And the mole, but at that time he was really upset.
And for inanimate objects, a poke is all it takes nowadays.
It's just living beings that are weird. For whatever reason, he's only allowed to copy inanimate (i.e. dead) bodies, but the point he "tags" that object at is irrelevant. But otherwise he is also able to copy that conscience they no longer have
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nordhmmer



Joined: 11 Feb 2017
Posts: 925
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:01 pm Reply with quote
yuzumei wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:

...seriously the story has been hammering the point Fushi can only take on the form of a living being-that's stimulated him-if he/she/it is dead, from episode one on.



Understand that up until now (if I am not mistaken) Fushi has been able to take the forms of beings that died in a close proximity to him not beings that died years ago 100ths of miles away. The audience might be confused about his sudden Parona form.


Episode 13( 14:27 ish?) Fushi says he can only take the form of a living being if it's dead.
Episode 16 it's again repeated that Fushi takes the form of a living being onl after that being has died.

Distance and time has not to with it,as proven with his taking on Parona's form.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nordhmmer



Joined: 11 Feb 2017
Posts: 925
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:
What Easter eggs? Goddamn story is not being coy about each form Fushi has taken is that of a being that has died.Ergo simple goddamn logic tells me that he only takes the form on those that have died.

And as far as distance from the deceased,that's just speculation.
There's literally no difference between these two things to make one more speculative than the other. The story wasn't coy about each form he's taken being something in his immediate vicinity, so simple logic, even without damning from any gods, etc. etc. In fact, he's also able to make inanimate objects based on direct interactions in his immediate vicinity, and they didn't die. He took the form of a rock, first, based on vicinity, not death. It's all magic nonsense anyway.

I mean, the show seems to be taking your point of view, but the fact that it doesn't seem to think it's a revelation is the writing gap people are talking about. Your inability to separate yourself from the knowledge you already have from the source material and recognize that people who don't have that knowledge are going to react to the information they are given is no reason to start throwing a fit.


Episode 13 at 14:27ish Fushi comes right out and says he can only take the form of a living being only after it's death.

What I've commented on hardly needed foreknowledge of the source material...just following the simple logic the story is,gain,not being coy about.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tintor2



Joined: 11 Aug 2010
Posts: 812
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:02 pm Reply with quote
The nokkers were Fushi's nemesis but I'm starting to think that Hayase herself is overtaking such place. The fact that she killed March and Parona is something that cause a huge emotional impact on the immortal. I have no idea what's going through her head but suggesting by the preview, she is obsessed as heck with Fushi. I guess this might be the series' final arc but we also gotta have the kids dead too?

Note: So I wondered. In Gugu's arc, Fushi gained the understanding of what is death but he didn't accept it. Instead he lied about it and escaped, claiming that Gugu was also leaving. Now in this arc, Fushi is experiencing death a lot to the point he was against the idea of finishing off his opponent last episode. However, the latest episodes seem to be breaking Fushi with how Parona has died and now it's impossible for him to rescue Pioran because he lost to Hayase. If I am correct, this anime might end with him going through a big catharsis in regards to his newfound rage against Hayase. The fact that a mortal is Fushi's biggest nemesis sure sounds interesting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yuvelir



Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 1324
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how to feel about this.
We left March's arc with Hayase being a husk of a her former self and Parona growing, on her way to defeating Hayase (although it was clear from a couple episodes ago that Hayase was here). Which was a neat and clean way to close that arc.
But now we learn that Parona didn't get to grow much, couldn't protect anyone, she ultimately and utterly lost agaisnt that "husk" and that far from being such Hayase is more threatening and clear-minded than ever, making it very clear that the defeat of her pride vs Fushi was not so much so and making it a mistake that Fushi didn't just finish her off back then. Not to mention that March's sacrifice was for naught.
It isn't bad at all but it... sullies that fairy tale from a while ago. She might have lied about some stuff to rile up Fushi, but her mere existence as such a dangerous and skilled being (as well as Parona being dead) is enough.

And even though it's kind of been a theme for this series, no, I don't think that Fushi defeating Hayase in Parona's body counts as a postumous victory for her - whatever happens will be due to Fushi's own growth, not Parona's.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeverConvex
Subscriber



Joined: 08 Jun 2013
Posts: 1172
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I feel similarly torn on how to feel about it. TYE is so committed to its motif that the side characters generally seem to never really get any kind of satisfying ending; Parona's story was the only one that sort of seemed to end on at least an ambiguously successful note, before this reveal. They truly do exist to feed (pain, suffering, tears, the occasional laugh, and a garden hose of emotional nuance to) the orb(-boy)!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blahmoomoo



Joined: 27 Jan 2020
Posts: 162
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:26 pm Reply with quote
By the way, in the manga Tonari's flashback originally happened in the middle of the first tournament fight, after Fushi was standing with a lot of weapons stuck in him. That part of the first tournament fight was the last page of volume 4, so it isn't awkward to start volume 5 with a flashback, while putting it in the same place in the anime would have been awkward. Though it could have been possible to show it sooner than now.

I think the flashback helps the reader begin to understand Tonari earlier, considering the responses to the anime here, as it explains her upbringing and why she kidnapped Fushi before they start to get along in the present. On the other hand, some aspects in the flashback are not immediately relevant, like her dream and who told her to bring Fushi to the island. So it seems relocating it in the anime is a mix of good and bad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Iron Maw



Joined: 29 May 2008
Posts: 319
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:44 am Reply with quote
Is me or did imply that Hayase also killed March's father and likely mother as well. God as if she could be more wretched person. I suppose she fall into the villains you love to hate category. In anycase she deserves the worst..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yttrbio
Subscriber



Joined: 09 Jun 2011
Posts: 3457
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:51 am Reply with quote
I got the impression she killed everyone in the village.

I definitely agree with Yuvelir that it's thematically muddy. The "meeting Orby sucks for everyone" idea is going from tragic to pornographic. Orby and Omni themselves are just not interesting enough characters to justify making the show about them. Having them as people who pass devastatingly through other lives is one thing, but then having their existence reach back and destroy more lives offscreen just for the sake of advancing their story is something their own development just isn't interesting enough to support.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gedata



Joined: 04 May 2013
Posts: 567
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:53 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Wow they actually showed what happened to Parona. The manga only left us with Hayase's description to go on. I don't know how to feel about that, it felt like it was meant to sound like a slow, torturous and gruesome affair compared to a clean beheading. Also, it didn't reveal if she alone was killed, but the anime implies that village was raided.

The anime shows us something terrible, but the manga describes something you can easily imagine as being even worse, interesting.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeverConvex
Subscriber



Joined: 08 Jun 2013
Posts: 1172
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:22 pm Reply with quote
So, the latest episode...? Well, uh, that is, you know, like, not one of the directions I imagined this particular story might go. Yes, that's a true statement.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yuvelir



Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 1324
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Huh, that was a very weird direction to take the story. It feels like it has a good flow but it's just... weird, in good measure because Fushi was dumb enough to trust Hayase after, you know, EVERYTHING.
The last minute betrayal-but-not-really was also very weird but I guess the point was to spurr Tonari into acting to save Fushi (and die in the process?), but that's quite the convoluted plan. Also for some reason the owl was still alive after getting an arrow to the knee?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeverConvex
Subscriber



Joined: 08 Jun 2013
Posts: 1172
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, agree with all of that. Was especially puzzled by the owl; it looked like he ate an arrow solidly enough to knock him to the floor right in front of Hayase and her soldiers? I guess they didn't show us them outright killing him, but it seems weird that they'd just ignore him, and weirder that he'd be out and about, right-as-rain, and mauling people again by the very next scene.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Everlasting Coconut



Joined: 22 Jul 2019
Posts: 109
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Not gonna lie, between the nosedive in animation quality and the most recent development regarding Hayase, I'm starting to lose my interest in this show. I'm still gonna watch it, since we're almost at the end, but it's sad seeing To Your Eternity like this.

Yuvelir wrote:
Also for some reason the owl was still alive after getting an arrow to the knee?


I thought the arrow just grazed him. There was no blood or anything.

What I don't understand is why Fushi gave himself up. Hayase had no leverage.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 14

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group