Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Odd Taxi


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DuskyPredator



Joined: 10 Mar 2009
Posts: 14743
Location: Brisbane, Australia
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 4:11 am Reply with quote
Yeah, after just watching episode 8 I remembered a Game Theory video on Animal Crossing, which put forward the idea that that the player character just sees other people as animals, but they are just normal people. It was mostly just a thought experiment, but I think that actually might be intended in this show. The video called it clinical lycanthropy, and a particularly rare example called Lycanthropic Intermetamorphosis, where they can see other people as animals, and seems to have some connection to synaesthesia. Apparently the causes can be things like like a sudden life changing event, which could be when he became an orphan, and other symptoms can include hearing voices, such as like a guardian angel, which might be what he speaks to in his house.

So everything is pointing to him being good at recognising people who leave an impression because he sees them as an animal similar to the impression he gets.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Covnam



Joined: 31 May 2005
Posts: 2438
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:31 pm Reply with quote
The evidence for the animal theory is certainly mounting.

I liked that Dobu wasn't stupid enough to not question Odokawa's very specific line of questioning. Though of course he had to be just stupid enough to not figure things out for the plot to proceed Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yuna49



Joined: 27 Aug 2008
Posts: 3469
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I, too, was surprised that Mystery Kiss was excised from the OP. Of course, the trio is undergoing some difficulties, CD or no CD. Foreshadowing or just time constraints?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 3072
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
The evidence for the animal theory is certainly mounting.

I liked that Dobu wasn't stupid enough to not question Odokawa's very specific line of questioning. Though of course he had to be just stupid enough to not figure things out for the plot to proceed Laughing


It was well done, and it's still possible that Dobu did figure it out (I wouldn't be surprise if big Daimon ends up getting his hand on the recording). I'm glad the show did try to cover their track rather than just relying on the old "well sometime people don't think about why it's strange they're getting questioned". Just some nice writing for a change.

I also really hope Kakihana doesn't end up with Shiho, yeah things suck for him now and he's not that bad of a person, but he did lie to her the entire time and his debt problem are entirely his own fault (what was his plan after proposing anyway? Never show her his place?). I guess its suck he can't find a gf without fudging his income, but ultimately it just means that women would rather be alone than with him and I can't say I disagree with them, even ignoring his poverty and liying, he doesn't really bring anything worth considering.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DuskyPredator



Joined: 10 Mar 2009
Posts: 14743
Location: Brisbane, Australia
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:05 am Reply with quote
Odokawa has his rent paid by some sort of foundation, not just from when he was a child but also now as an adult. This does seem to point to some big issue that he has had that was enough for it be seen that he would need to be taken care of, perhaps that he sees humans as animals.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
ab2143



Joined: 09 Jan 2021
Posts: 287
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the review Kabasawa. I knew THAT would be the thumbnail for this week’s review lmao.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 3072
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kakihana's dramatic gesture, throwing away the ring and symbolizing his rebirth, would be a powerful moment in your average show. Here, it gets immediately undercut by him wading pathetically into the water to find it again.

I'm glad he went back to get it, he's still in massive debt and he might be able to return it, or at least resell it. The first rule to follow when stuck in a hole is to stop digging, he'll have to repay the debt one way or another.

Otherwise, was skull mask really the one one shoot at Dobu? We didn't see the person shooting and he wouldn't have anyway to know where Dobu was nor any reason to shoot at him. The only other person who could potentially know about Dobu location is one of the Daimon twin (the big bro could have found out the information from little bro) so maybe that's what happened, although then its strange they only wounded him and left.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dm
Subscriber



Joined: 24 Sep 2010
Posts: 782
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:11 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Otherwise, was skull mask really the one one shoot at Dobu? We didn't see the person shooting and he wouldn't have anyway to know where Dobu was nor any reason to shoot at him.


Skull-mask was shooting at Odokawa, seeking vengeance for losing that prize in the gacha-game. Dobu was just collateral damage. Somewhere along the lines the Kabasawa social-media-frenzy gave people the impression Skull-mask was mixed up in the Dobu situation.

Dobu treated Kabasawa with a good deal more mercy than I expected him to. Of course, Kabasawa doesn't realize that he's still on the hook.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 3072
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:25 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
meiam wrote:
Otherwise, was skull mask really the one one shoot at Dobu? We didn't see the person shooting and he wouldn't have anyway to know where Dobu was nor any reason to shoot at him.


Skull-mask was shooting at Odokawa, seeking vengeance for losing that prize in the gacha-game. Dobu was just collateral damage. Somewhere along the lines the Kabasawa social-media-frenzy gave people the impression Skull-mask was mixed up in the Dobu situation.

But he crashed his van so he didn't have anyway to follow them, he'd have lost them and wouldn't have been able to catch up to them at the harbor and at that point Odokawa was already gone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sven Viking



Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 895
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:50 pm Reply with quote
You could theorise that he acquired transportation, saw something posted by the hippo earlier which gave the location, and then headed there to look for Odokawa despite the taxi not being present. …Then either shot at the first thing he saw moving or immediately recognised Dobu as he turned the corner? That all sounds pretty unlikely, and considering they only showed the hand of the shooter onscreen I think you’ll definitely be right.

Also while Dobu mentions Skull Mask, he says “I’d thought you were an amateur” or similar which perhaps indicates it was a good shot meaning the shooter was probably a long way off. Additionally it’s entirely possible the shooter could have been wearing a skull mask without being Skull Mask.


Incidentally I really liked the line about the hippo’s level of self-loathing being narcissistic since most people don’t expend so much effort thinking about themselves. At this point I’m actually hoping Dobu doesn’t come out of all of this too badly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 3072
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:24 am Reply with quote
Gonna go out on a limb here and say that willingly driving to some deserted location while you're threatening a member of an organized crime is maybe not the best idea...

Yeah it's a bit of a shame that Shirakawa knew where he was, it feel like something the show isn't going to explain, unless she's the one who planted the GPS? I seem to recall one of the mystery kiss girl putting a phone in his taxi but I its been awhile so I might be mis remembering.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dm
Subscriber



Joined: 24 Sep 2010
Posts: 782
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:17 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Yeah it's a bit of a shame that Shirakawa knew where he was, it feel like something the show isn't going to explain, unless she's the one who planted the GPS? I seem to recall one of the mystery kiss girl putting a phone in his taxi but I its been awhile so I might be mis remembering.


Yes, I remember the Mystery Kiss girl putting the phone (which she received from Skull Mask --- what's that about?) into the seat of the taxi. Odokawa explains something that was bothering me --- that the battery on the phone would have drained after a day or so. That was nice, and having the broken window be the thing that made him connect the dots was also nice.

Wasn't Shirakawa there when Odokawa was looking for the GPS? She probably would have said something if it were her GPS and not Skull Mask's.

Like Steve Jones, I'm looking forward to starting the series over from the beginning. Even now, the first few seconds of the first episode (which I'd forgotten about) is already a rediscovery.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kraz



Joined: 28 Aug 2016
Posts: 20
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I believed Odakawa's ability to instantly recognized people is because he's seeing everyone as animals (and took Gouriki testing his ability as a confirmation for the viewers), but I'm doubting it now.

The end of the episode right now seems to confirm the real and the fake Mitsuya are 2 black cats which look EXACTLY the same except a minuscule detail.

Yet in the episode where Odakawa drive the 3 girls and the manager he's able to tell the black cat girl he drove to the studio once one month ago was not one of the 3 girls he saw today, which can't be a mistake because it's at that point the manager suddenly try to get the taxi camera data, probably to erase the clues (which is also weird, I doubt he has 1 month of data in a single SD card ?!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ab2143



Joined: 09 Jan 2021
Posts: 287
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:38 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Otherwise, was skull mask really the one one shoot at Dobu? We didn't see the person shooting and he wouldn't have anyway to know where Dobu was nor any reason to shoot at him. The only other person who could potentially know about Dobu location is one of the Daimon twin (the big bro could have found out the information from little bro) so maybe that's what happened, although then its strange they only wounded him and left.


Rewatched last week's episode. I just noticed that the person who fired the gun had white hands. Note that the weapon is different too.
https://imgur.com/Bu1vsTy.jpg

Dobu said it was the skull mask guy that shot him but his hands aren't white...
https://imgur.com/Gvph4IA.jpg

I first assumed the person who shot Dobu was Shirakawa based on the whiteness of the shooter’s hands.

After examining the hands for a ludicrous amount of time, I agree that one of the Daimon brothers seems more plausible. Their uniforms are blue, they’re police and would have access to guns.
At first it didn’t occur to me that it could be one of them as the shooter’s hands looked white to me and their hands seem to be beige(?) coloured.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 3072
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:28 pm Reply with quote
ab2143 wrote:
meiam wrote:
Otherwise, was skull mask really the one one shoot at Dobu? We didn't see the person shooting and he wouldn't have anyway to know where Dobu was nor any reason to shoot at him. The only other person who could potentially know about Dobu location is one of the Daimon twin (the big bro could have found out the information from little bro) so maybe that's what happened, although then its strange they only wounded him and left.


Rewatched last week's episode. I just noticed that the person who fired the gun had white hands. Note that the weapon is different too.
https://imgur.com/Bu1vsTy.jpg

Dobu said it was the skull mask guy that shot him but his hands aren't white...
https://imgur.com/Gvph4IA.jpg

I first assumed the person who shot Dobu was Shirakawa based on the whiteness of the shooter’s hands.

After examining the hands for a ludicrous amount of time, I agree that one of the Daimon brothers seems more plausible. Their uniforms are blue, they’re police and would have access to guns.
At first it didn’t occur to me that it could be one of them as the shooter’s hands looked white to me and their hands seem to be beige(?) coloured.

Yeah its probably one of the Daimon since otherwise there's no reason storywise for Odokawa to have warned one of them. Not sure which but it seems like there's more secret there. Maybe big Daimon is a good guys whose trying to infiltrate the gang or little Daimon is just playing dumb and is actually just as involved as his brother.

Very cool how well crafted the story is in this show, they take few shortcut and because everything is so dense and interconnected the show can give you information that only pay off later.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group