• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Odd Taxi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:27 am Reply with quote
It’s a pretty daring ending especially if they stick with it and don’t reveal what happens next and leave it up to the audience.
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:57 am Reply with quote
yuzumei wrote:
Covnam wrote:
Did I miss it or did we not see the spoiler[calico cat (I don't remember her name)] during the ending sequence? Other then that spoiler[ominous] mention of course.

I was about to comment the same thing spoiler[Shiho from Mystery Kiss is the only character we don't get to see as human. I am probably wrong but it sounded like Sakura (Yuki replacement in Mystery Kiss) killed another person? Maybe Shiho? What was that pen she was holding while talking to her mom?]

Regarding your last question: spoiler[That pen has been seen around the show since episode 1. Is a device that connects the anime with the audio drama. The audio drama is a series of audio clips of around 5 minutes each that were released weekly with every episode. If you want to know what they are I encourage you to listen to them. They're released as Youtube videos and someone is subbing them here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgYJolgh0UQU7f5abHZhUrg/videos
The translated transcript of the other ones not yet subbed (except for the last one at the moment) can be read here:
https://oddtaxi.fandom.com/wiki/Odd_Taxi_(audio_drama)
(^I couldn't format the second link very well so make sure to copy the entire line if you want to check it out)
]
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:14 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
[spoiler]
Odokawa seemed to have put the pieces together and planned to take it to the police, so my assumption is that the end was actually a trap spoiler[to catch her.]

I'm going to go ahead and believe this since it tempers my annoyance a little with the stinger.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ab2143

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:13 pm Reply with quote
From what I read online, the audio drama (considered canon) hinted at the fates of Odokawa and the nice barkeep lady…
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Definitely one of the strongest show in recent memory, probably right behind Yuru camp. I will echo the praise to the great character design that help the transition from animal to human. I also like that in the end the money ended up with Tapir boss, so no matter who of the three group ended up with the money, it would have ended up at the same place.

Still I'm annoyed that the show didn't wrap up how Shirakawa knew Odakawa was going to need help in the construction lot and why one of the mystery kiss member hid the GPS for skull mask. On one hand the show did so much right that I can forgive some sloppiness, but on the other hand these feel all the more conspicuous because everything else is so neatly written and explained.

Talking about skull mask, shouldn't he be in jail? Like sure the show end on a hopeful note for him, but he did fire a gun and attempted murder of multiple people. Similarly little daimon shoot someone for very little reason, he should at the very least lose his badge.

I don't care much for the killer reveal, ultimately she only showed up after the murder mystery faded into the background.
gpanthony

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:06 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Definitely one of the strongest show in recent memory, probably right behind Yuru camp. I will echo the praise to the great character design that help the transition from animal to human. I also like that in the end the money ended up with Tapir boss, so no matter who of the three group ended up with the money, it would have ended up at the same place.

Still I'm annoyed that the show didn't wrap up how Shirakawa knew Odakawa was going to need help in the construction lot and why one of the mystery kiss member hid the GPS for skull mask. On one hand the show did so much right that I can forgive some sloppiness, but on the other hand these feel all the more conspicuous because everything else is so neatly written and explained.

Talking about skull mask, shouldn't he be in jail? Like sure the show end on a hopeful note for him, but he did fire a gun and attempted murder of multiple people. Similarly little daimon shoot someone for very little reason, he should at the very least lose his badge.

I don't care much for the killer reveal, ultimately she only showed up after the murder mystery faded into the background.

I think the Mystery Kiss girl spoiler[wanted Tanaka to get rid of Odokawa for her, but because he didn't she shows up to do it at the end.]
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:07 pm Reply with quote
My favourite (& likely unintentional) piece of visual storytelling was the reveal that Sakura's real-life appearance was basically just Nico Yazawa. As soon as I saw that, I knew what was up. Because let's face it, if someone like Nico was dragged out of the bubblegum fluff of a franchise like Love Live into a more grimey Satoshi Kon-esque universe like this one, of course that would be their end point.

Anyway, aside from a few weird plot holes and red herrings, I adored the conclusion. The way it segued from devastating character study, to somber mood piece to joyful catharsis was tremendous. I also really appreciated all the loving homages to cinema along the way, although I'll still never get Japan's willingness to ennoble it's criminal underworld. We literally see all the horrific damage the likes of Dobu & Yano cause to the people they encounter throughout the show, so suddenly trying to paint their boss as somehow honorable didn't remotely work for me. I mean it's true to the genre, but it's a trope I'll never buy into.
ab2143

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Someone told me that ODDTAXI blu-ray pre-orders reached 10x the requested amount (300)

The likelihood of a Western release is increasing?

Apparently, the audio drama hasn’t been included… It’s a shame since the audio drama has got clues about how Shirakawa managed to locate Odokawa, the possible fates of Odokawa and some others in the final episode etc.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:20 pm Reply with quote
gpanthony wrote:
I think the Mystery Kiss girl spoiler[wanted Tanaka to get rid of Odokawa for her, but because he didn't she shows up to do it at the end.]

How would she even know about him and how to contact him?
yuzumei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:39 pm Reply with quote
7777ale7777 wrote:

spoiler[That pen has been seen around the show since episode 1. Is a device that connects the anime with the audio drama. The audio drama is a series of audio clips of around 5 minutes each that were released weekly with every episode. If you want to know what they are I encourage you to listen to them. They're released as Youtube videos and someone is subbing them here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgYJolgh0UQU7f5abHZhUrg/videos
]

[/quote]

Thank you for the info! I'll check it out!
yuzumei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:43 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
gpanthony wrote:

She already took two rides with Odokawa before so she knows who he is.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:57 pm Reply with quote
yuzumei wrote:
meiam wrote:
gpanthony wrote:

She already took two rides with Odokawa before so she knows who he is.

I meant Tanaka, how would she contact him to give him the GPS coordinate.

Actually the more I think about it, the more little problem seems to creep up. How would she know the murdered cat girl would be in the office the night of the murder? How would she even get access to the office?
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:15 pm Reply with quote
So, a translation of the script of the last audio drama is out and turns out that it takes place some time before the last scene (that is, before the killer steps into Odokawa's car) so it doesn't serve as an epilogue.
gsilver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:05 pm Reply with quote
One key detail I haven't seen anyone mention yet:
spoiler[We see another body bag drop at the same time as our famous flying taxi.
And I think we all know who is in it.
]
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:10 pm Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
One key detail I haven't seen anyone mention yet:
spoiler[We see another body bag drop at the same time as our famous flying taxi.
And I think we all know who is in it.
]

All of those "drop" moments were flashbacks for the individual characters.

Tanaka's phone dropping into the gutter when Odokawa nearly ran him over, Kakihana throwing the ring into the river, Sakura's mom dropping fried chicken into the oil, the calico (forget her name) dropping soap into the bath, spoiler[Nikaido dropping the missing
girl's body into the river]

That particular "drop" (spoilered above) is a flashback, not a flashforward given the context of everything else in that moment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7