• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:23 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
My least favorite detail is the latent societal sexism. It’s not stated straight out, but Sei is generally the only woman in the room in professional and higher educational settings.

I'm getting ready to re-read the first novel to look for this more, but by the third major storyline (i.e. novel 3) this isn't the case any longer. I want to say that there's mention of other women working in the first two books as well, but I'm not positive.
zztop

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:40 am Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:
Im enjoying the show, in a relaxed lethargic kind of way.

I do find it odd no one EVER asks about her world, not even Albert. I mean she ahs a whole HISTORY from another world, and no one mentions it at all? Not even the guy "In love" with her?

Anyway thats just a nitpick. Im having fun

Based on my inquiries with other readers who regularly follow Narou isekai webnovels, there's this mindset that making characters talk/ask too much about their previous world/life (beyond some useful skills/knowledge) is highly distracting from the aim of current fantasy escapism. To them, bringing up the old world means a character doesn't accept their current situation. And the main aim is for the character to fully commit themselves to the isekai world so the reader can vicariously experience said escape.

Agent355 wrote:

My least favorite detail is the latent societal sexism. It’s not stated straight out, but Sei is generally the only woman in the room in professional and higher educational settings. That really bums me out. This is an escapist fantasy magic world by a female author for a female audience, why not imagine it without any gender discrimination? Even though Sei is treated without derision, sexism, etc, it still really bothers me that she’s the only woman in the room.

Latent social sexism is something of a common theme in most isekai/fantasy works of the otome kind. Iirc I've seen it used as a latent background thing to emphasize how the MC's determination and wit differ from other women in general, and maybe to emphasize drama when the MC needs to convince the old stuffy higherups to take some kind of action. Sometimes it's also there to serve as a glass ceiling for the MC to overcome in pursuit of their greater goals/ambitions and add to the potency of their acheivements in breaking through it (ie. first woman investor, first woman business tycoon, etc.)
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:57 pm Reply with quote
zztop Thanks for the details, but I can’t say that I like either of those narrative choices. By not engaging with or giving details about the main character’s pre-isekai backstory, the character usually is stuck as a generic, non-descript audience insert—which I suppose is the point, but it doesn’t lend itself to deep or nuanced character development. Plus, there is so much narrative potential in contrasting the main character’s pre-isekai life with their post-isekai life that’s purposefully left on the cutting room floor.

On sexism: unless fighting sexism is a main plot point, using sexist society tropes runs the risk of *reinforcing* real world sexist stereotypes. For instance, the concept that all women have to compete with one another in professional settings (or even over desirable love interests) because there aren’t enough seats at the table for all women to succeed. I hate that trope—I want to see women characters getting along and working together collaboratively, whether to fight back against a sexist world or to achieve other goals.

I’m glad Rebecca pointed out that this isekai world isn’t necessarily sexist, and I hope they introduce a professional or scholarly adult woman character for Sei to hang out with soon!
sadoldguy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:40 am Reply with quote
Light novel 3 has a female professional who collabs with Sei.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Until episode 4, I'd been assuming that both Sei and the other girl (Aira) were the Saints, and had always had bigger magical powers compared to the locals. So episode 4 shows that Aira only developed average magic power, if not less/not growing, listening to some of the dialogues. I'm really curious about Aira's pov now, that Kyle guy doesn't seem to be someone you'd want to be with when you can't live up to his expectation. I hope she won't be some villainous/antagonistic character as seems to be the trend in a shoujo isekai where two women are isekaid.
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed seeing Sei acting smart. I genuinely put my hands in the air when she started talking about how she was probably the saint. Yay a protagonist who is not thick! I've forgotten what they can be like with all the supposedly smart MC's who cant judge a situation for their life. And the show keeps up with her smarts by showing her understanding the impacts of her actions throughout the episode.

I take it we have switched to a new volume because of how different the episode felt in its writing style. Its just like an author reassessing the direction of a show and adding details.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:49 pm Reply with quote
@Cryten

The post credit scene corresponds with the last few pages of volume one of the light novel.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
On sexism: unless fighting sexism is a main plot point, using sexist society tropes runs the risk of *reinforcing* real world sexist stereotypes. For instance, the concept that all women have to compete with one another in professional settings (or even over desirable love interests) because there aren’t enough seats at the table for all women to succeed. I hate that trope—I want to see women characters getting along and working together collaboratively, whether to fight back against a sexist world or to achieve other goals.

I’m glad Rebecca pointed out that this isekai world isn’t necessarily sexist, and I hope they introduce a professional or scholarly adult woman character for Sei to hang out with soon!

I think that I might have mentioned in the series discussion forum that I was starting to find it a bit unfortunate that there are no other professional women, and it does kind of seem like something that makes some implications that are not addressed. Do these fields just not usually have women join them? It could be a little interesting if say her competence was noted as changing the minds of certain people, and perhaps in the future she could encourage other women to follow her.

Making her the saint in some ways kind of feels like something that could take away from her own agency as a lone women in the fields, like that only women who are saints can be involved in potion making or enchanting. She has only so far been within the royal side of things, so perhaps there could be whoever handles royal recruitment might have some biases, and in other places women are accepted. Just some fanfic worldbuilding.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
I really enjoyed seeing Sei acting smart. I genuinely put my hands in the air when she started talking about how she was probably the saint. Yay a protagonist who is not thick! I've forgotten what they can be like with all the supposedly smart MC's who cant judge a situation for their life. And the show keeps up with her smarts by showing her understanding the impacts of her actions throughout the episode.

I would say it could be subtly that. Yet, I see Sei can be not quick enough to notice things. It's pretty clear in the romance plot, though I suppose that's only natural in this genre. But I expect Sei to think more thoroughly about what she's supposed to show people about her ability. I'm not sure if she knows the full consequences of being exposed as the actual Saint. She said she wanted to keep things as they are now, but then she seemed quite easily giving it up when she used area heal and made a show.

Surely her kindness and willingness to help might make it easier for her to decide taking the risk, but that also means they take over her rationale, she's not even trying/consider making it more discreet. It could also mean that her thought process in handling this matter is simply not shown, though.

Anyway, I'm not complaining. I actually like it when the protagonist acted in a way I didn't expect. Since I'm expecting Sei to at least put an effort to hide what she's doing and not risking too much being discovered.
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Aira really hasn't been demonstrated to be at fault for going along with him. We can't say that for certain based on the information in the episodes thus far...

Assuming the anime adapts the upcoming novel content just fine, spoiler[we'll be getting answers on Aira's experiences soon.] Although there's the question of how much novel content they'll cover (word is either Vol 2 or Vol 4 might be a good stopping point.)

There's also an ongoing manga-original spinoff, The Other Saint, which focuses on Aira's POV and exploits during this period. It makes for a nice compliment to the main series, which is (of course) very Sei-centred.
https://comic-walker.com/contents/detail/KDCW_FL00201873010000_68/

Dian Z wrote:
But I expect Sei to think more thoroughly about what she's supposed to show people about her ability. I'm not sure if she knows the full consequences of being exposed as the actual Saint. She said she wanted to keep things as they are now, but then she seemed quite easily giving it up when she used area heal and made a show.

Surely her kindness and willingness to help might make it easier for her to decide taking the risk, but that also means they take over her rationale
, she's not even trying/consider making it more discreet. It could also mean that her thought process in handling this matter is simply not shown, though.

It's a pattern I tend to see in most Japanese shoujo/josei/otome works.
Most Japanese-written female leads seem to usually act out of 100% kindhearted selflessness whenever they see others in need or trouble. They might be somewhat aware of the consequences and risks of helping out at that moment, but their consciences won't let them simply abandon those in need (and damn the risks that follow).
(Think bighearted leads like Katarina Claes from My next Life As A Villainess, or even Tooru from Fruits Basket.)

This is in contrast to my observations of female leads in Korean or Chinese webtoons,
who can employ levels of craftiness and strategy in their decision-making.
For example, I recall some where the lead’s decision to help was 50% kind concern, 50% calculative consideration for the nation's wellbeing and further strengthening of the lead's social-political repute.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:43 am Reply with quote
I thought it was exactly as she said. Once she made the decision (and she did have to think about the fallout before deciding if she could live with doing nothing), there was "no going back now."

Restoring a lost limb was enough to out her. That's not a secret that could be kept. Not restoring a lost eye or healing other crippling injuries wouldn't save her and only make her look like she was playing favorites. Once she was in for a penny, there was no reason not to go in for a pound and finish what she started by using the Area Heal.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:47 am Reply with quote
Also agree that it was nice to see Sei being more self aware then most typical protagonists.
Interesting to see that her magic isn't actually unlimited, even if it took her healing a whole hospital to show that.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:30 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

I think that I might have mentioned in the series discussion forum that I was starting to find it a bit unfortunate that there are no other professional women, and it does kind of seem like something that makes some implications that are not addressed. Do these fields just not usually have women join them? It could be a little interesting if say her competence was noted as changing the minds of certain people, and perhaps in the future she could encourage other women to follow her.

So I'm almost done re-reading the first novel to look for this, and while Sei is the only woman at the Research Institute, there are other professional women mentioned, most specifically that the head chef is a woman and that there are woman doctors. She and Liz also start talking because Liz is interested in herbs, so Sei could very well prove inspirational. There aren't any genders mentioned during the scenes at the Magi's workplace; I'm going to (possibly wrongly) assume that that means that it's a mixed-gender group.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 4 was a step forward but a step backwards as well. Sure, Sei finally did something that's not the magical equivalent of a lab technician but then right after that, the series then says that it's no different than regular magic healing.

If it isn't then why weren't they being healed? Sure, Sei healing the scrapes, cuts and bruises was overkill but wizards not healing the amputees is just cruel. You have magic spells here, you have wizards there and you have wounds not subject to time constraints but such injuries were NEVER going to be healed?

It should be either impossible to heal thus making it a miracle or it should have been a lost bit of magic that Sei reintroduced into the world, none of the "magic reserve" bs that reeks of Writer Intervention of keeping Sei's "specialness" in check while still trying to make her, well, special.

"She's Omnipotent... when graded on a curve."
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:33 pm Reply with quote
@Animegomaniac

I just went back and reviewed the end of episode 4 and I don't see where they said that what Sei did was "just healing magic". All I saw were background comments of "miracle". At the 15:30 point Wolff says that to replace a limb he would need a high level magus who could use Holy Magic "and good luck with that". They aren't being cruel, they simply don't have the assets.

If you remember when Sei is about to heal Albert with a high level potion the other men are asking why the other girl summoned is not using healing magic for them. (prince Asshole doesn't want her exposed to such sights).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9