• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer Film Was Briefly Available on PlayStation Store

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:09 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
MagicPolly wrote:

The difference being that now it's possible to pirate the movie in high quality rather than having to watch a camrip. I know lots of people who would rather pirate it than watch it in theaters. "tank hard" is still an overstatement, but it'll have a much larger impact than just "some people bought it on ps4 and that's it"

I doubt this will have much effect on the potential box office. If people are pirating it now, they almost certainly would have pirated it 2 months later instead of going to see it in theaters - be that because of COVID worries/restrictions or just not wanting to pay to see it.

In my country, there won't be Demon Slayer movie in cinemas at all and anime movies in my country are almost don't exist, the last anime movie officially released in cinemas in my country is Weathering With You and that's it.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:03 am Reply with quote
I think people tend to forget how now everyone is fortunate enough to be able to watch it in cinemas. Not that I promote piracy or anything but the film being leaked online gave many fans a chance to watch a film they may never have been able to unless it was pirated online.
I wish Japan would understand that there are more countries than the US that have anime fans that would gladly go out of their way to watch in cinemas if they had the chance.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:54 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Quote:
ANN has contacted Funimation but has not yet received an official comment on the matter.
Maybe because it AOA who put it on digital not Funi.

Lol, yeah I kept expecting an additional "ANN reached out for comment..." note for companies that could actually have something to say on the matter but nope. Probably just assumed Funi was an easier target to get a quote from.

People have said it earlier, but I don't see this as a huge hit for the movie's theatrical run. Most people who watched it weren't going to see it in theaters anyway, either due to understandable safety concerns, or they were planning to pirate it anyway when the JPN blu-ray was released. I could see it as a hit for digital downloads, since the people who bought it are less likely to do so now in June, if it were on the Playstation Store for a few days rather than a few hours.

On the other hand, I see this as a bigger hit on the business/partnership side between the JPN team/production committee and its overseas distributors. Doesn't matter who's fault it is, its still a huge oversight that I presume no one is happy about.
Peter Hunt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:48 am Reply with quote
Why couldn't this have happened for Evangelion 1.0+3.0? Twisted Evil
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:41 am Reply with quote
RenRen94 wrote:
I really wish there was a digital viewing option for Mugen Train like how the Made in Abyss movie did (I didn't watch it, as I thought 20 bucks was a little steep).

Minus that it will be available digitally in June, but I don't really think the whole digital viewing will be happening closer to theatrical releases anytime soon.

First, movie theatres wants to make money. They can't make money if the film doesn't need to be viewed in theatres, ie people having a choice is not good for their profit margins. They need to have an extended period of time where the film is only viewable in theatres.

Second, in Japan, older and bigger companies are less flexible than younger smaller companies. The big distribution companies are only going to make films available as an afterthought because theatrical releases are proven and tested. This is what these type of companies know and like. They have seen it make money in the past. Investors like risk-adverse investments.

Third, digital copies will be ripped regardless. While a digital release will increase visibility, if it does not generate concrete profit (as the Japanese companies require it), it will always come late. Even if people think the pirates were never going to see it in theatres anyway (doe not substantively increase the box office).

The only type of digital release that will happen would be A Whisker Away type of film. Any "major" film, you can define major however you want, will not have a digital release that is remotely close to its theatrical debut. I do not foresee any simultaneous (or one to two months discrepancy) for anime films anytime soon.

+++++++++++
This is definitely a blunder that will be used as a talking point from Japanese companies to further restrict and delay digital releases internationally in the future.

As for impact on overseas box office, it will probably depend on the economic means of individual viewers. If you want to watch the film but not committed enough to pay money, then you won't. If you watched it illegally but think you should still contribute, then there is still box office to be received. If you were debating beforehand to watch the film or not, it is more likely to watch it pirated first to see if it is good and then decide if you want a theatrical experience. Some people just want a theatrical experience anyway, it is not the film they are watching, they want to watch anime on the big screen. If you are 11 and is only receiving $30 per week for lunch money from your parents, maybe the only option is to pirate. If you live in a country where Demon Slayer was never released and never will, it means the market was probably not targeted anyway regardless of the demand.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:55 am Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
Already up to nearly 8,000 completed downloads on [redacted] as someone ripped the PlayStation Store leak. This is quite the mistake. It reminds me of the time Sony Korea uploaded a trailer for The Amazing Spider-Man 2, but it turned out to be the whole movie.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Spiderman/comments/2b71my/the_full_version_of_amazing_spiderman_2_was/

I thought nothing would top the time they made the full version of one of the Yakuza games available instead of it’s demo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2