• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Yasuke

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:21 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:

Heaven forbid that people have different ideas of "fun"... Rolling Eyes
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:03 am Reply with quote
Putting aside the Kickstarter controversy, I think the problem with Thomas's work is that he wants to put everything into them. It's very difficult to mix two genres together, much less all the genres like he tried to do twice now. There are a few successes, like Magic Knight Rayearth being a magical girl show, isekai, and super robot anime at the same time, and even then CLAMP needed outside help (in the form of Masami Obari) to make it work.

Thomas...does not have the writing talent of CLAMP. Not to mention in his bid to do everything, he makes the total product feel disjointed and disconnected, when any single element here would be fine on its own. A futuristic samurai story? Sure. Afro Samurai was a big hit when it came out. An actual historical drama about Yasuke? I still lament Chadewick Boseman died before he could make that film. A Mongol invasion sci-fi drama with the Mongolians bringing robots, and actually explaining why they had them? Great.

But you throw it all together, don't give any of the ideas time to breathe, and the result is a mess. It can be a fun mess, but it's a mess all the same.
Generations

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:29 am Reply with quote
Actually, I agree with Kicksville on this one.

If I had to ask that question, especially in anime, that would negate 90% of all anime in existence, because anime usually runs on that kind of general logical fallacy.
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:08 am Reply with quote
4 episodes in and the show is... OK. I like Yasuke (the character) and the fight scenes are well done but the different elements aren't really meshing well and I found myself preferring the more grounded elements more often. Which is weird because I thought that a team filled with a were-bear, a robot, a summoner, monster priest etc fighting a psychic girl in a Japan filled with mechs and monsters absolutely my sh*t but they sit in this weird uncanny valley of "cool" that isn't really working. Mabye it didn't spend enough time in the oven or six episodes wasn't enough or something else..

Also partly dissapointed that Takeshi koike only involvement with this was character design (which turned out OK in the final product) because that was the reason I even got interested the first place. I thought he would at least stick around as an animation director/key animator/storyboards in an episode but no luck. At least Masahiro Andō (Sword of the Stranger) storyboarded ep 4 which was a cool camoe.

If this show did anything for me is that I probably should find more samurai anime and rewatch the ones I have. Hoping the other Netflix anime I've been waiting for (Godzilla and TRESE) turn out better.
MugiwaraKaizokuo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:57 pm Reply with quote
yasuke was horrible. fights were awesome but story was utter crap ending was extremely rushed not to mention killing any redemption it may of had with its cruddy ending. if ya wanna see some cool fight animation and people being cut down this is okay, but you'd be way and i mean WAY better watching afro samurai.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:09 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
I haven't watched all of it yet, but the impression I'm getting is that basically the idea was "black samurai but make it Anime!" and so they added all sorts of stuff that Americans who haven't gotten farther in anime than Adult Swim back in the '90s-early '00s think of, when they hear the word "anime": mechs, weird creatures, etc. without any particular concept behind it other than "it has to be there because it's anime!" It really drags the whole thing down for me because it's sacrificing authenticity for... I don't even know what.

There's an interview with LeSean Thomas about Yasuke on this very website, and still in the marquee at that!

LeSean Thomas wrote:
I think the anime that I got exposed to that got me into Japanese animation were… Dangaioh, The Guyver: Bio-Booster Armor, City Hunter… all of the really late 80s, early 90s original video animations. I was a big fan of OVAs. I like short stories. I was never a fan of 500-episode shows. There's nothing wrong with those, but people tend to forget that most anime we consumed in the West [at the time] were adaptations of long-running, ongoing comic books. As long as the comic books are going, the anime can continue to be made. The comic book artist stops making the comic, the series ends.

[...]

You gotta understand: when I was watching those shows growing up, I was also only consuming Bugs Bunny and Batman: The Animated Series. That stuff was groundbreaking for a lot of people! But I was like, “Why don't we have Bubblegum Crisis? Where are the four female knights who are like, in post-apocalyptic New York with body armor suits and mechs and stuff?” That was the kind of stuff that I was into as a kid—adult limited series. It's a reflection of the stuff I'm making now.

[...]

I mean, I'm the hype man right now, so I'm just really excited about everything! I want the fans to – when you say fans, there are different types of fans. This show is largely for casuals, you know what I mean? Just full disclosure, and I might get in trouble for saying this, but I don't make anime for hardcore anime fans. It's not a slight against hardcore anime fans. Hardcore anime fans already know what they like, which is the same thing over and over and over. Just packed in! [laughs]

To summarize: Thomas made Yasuke like this because that's the kind of anime he loves, the kind of show he wanted to make, and the story he wanted to share with people. I think it's great that he's living his truth.

And I'm sure all the people fussing about historical accuracy also had similar complaints about Sengoku Basara, and basically every anime ever made about Oda Nobunaga, right?
Hal14

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:44 pm Reply with quote
*shrugs*
I honestly don't get what is meant by "hardcore vs casual" anime fan, especially because the issues I had with Yasuke are basic and universal storytelling, regardless of the media. But fine, I guess the problem is with people who didn't like or were disappointed with the show. I went in at least expecting Bumblebee when clearly the author was going for BayFormers, and that's fine.
But as a side note: I've been seeing this recurring defense of this show that involves comparing it to stuff like gintama, samurai 7, afro samurai, etc., and calling (or implying) people are hypocrites for liking those but disliking this. First: whataboutisms are dumb because you are assuming everyone complaining watched and/or liked those shows, and Second: those shows (at least the ones I watched) actually combined their various elements properly or were just going for a different tone. Even Cannon Busters' worldbuilding fits its tone better and is more in line with the author's comments from that interview.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I'd argue that everything this show did Afro did better because Afro rejected any notion of it being based on reality. It was unapologetically Cyberpunk and didn't try to muddle any of it.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:15 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:

And I'm sure all the people fussing about historical accuracy also had similar complaints about Sengoku Basara, and basically every anime ever made about Oda Nobunaga, right?

Besides what was already written, there's also a difference between something made 16 years ago using these cliches, and something made today that is still using them when they are long since worn thin, as though just a straightforward historical drama about the Sengoku period isn't possible in anime form or something.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Thomas...does not have the writing talent of CLAMP. Not to mention in his bid to do everything, he makes the total product feel disjointed and disconnected, when any single element here would be fine on its own. A futuristic samurai story? Sure. Afro Samurai was a big hit when it came out. An actual historical drama about Yasuke? I still lament Chadewick Boseman died before he could make that film.

Don’t we have a black Brit that just won an academy award?

Boseman was a good actor but we have other black actors who could also potentially play Yasuke.

MugiwaraKaizokuo wrote:
yasuke was horrible. fights were awesome but story was utter crap ending was extremely rushed not to mention killing any redemption it may of had with its cruddy ending. if ya wanna see some cool fight animation and people being cut down this is okay, but you'd be way and i mean WAY better watching afro samurai.

Afro Samurai has a terrible story with a largely unsympathetic and unlikable main character.

Literally the only reason anyone would watch that is if they like violence and Samuel L Jackson. And even then that’s not going to be everyone’s cup of tea.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:23 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
*shrugs*
I honestly don't get what is meant by "hardcore vs casual" anime fan, especially because the issues I had with Yasuke are basic and universal storytelling, regardless of the media. But fine, I guess the problem is with people who didn't like or were disappointed with the show. I went in at least expecting Bumblebee when clearly the author was going for BayFormers, and that's fine.

But as a side note: I've been seeing this recurring defense of this show that involves comparing it to stuff like gintama, samurai 7, afro samurai, etc., and calling (or implying) people are hypocrites for liking those but disliking this. First: whataboutisms are dumb because you are assuming everyone complaining watched and/or liked those shows, and Second: those shows (at least the ones I watched) actually combined their various elements properly or were just going for a different tone. Even Cannon Busters' worldbuilding fits its tone better and is more in line with the author's comments from that interview.

Those are all legitimate criticisms of the show. "It's bad because it's historically inaccurate" is not.

I am not strawmanning here. I have never, ever, ever seen so many reviews of a series complaining about a lack of historical accuracy and citing it as a reason to give the show a low score. The majority of negative reviews for Yasuke mentioned the historical inaccuracy as a reason for the low score. Samurai 7 had one that mentioned historical inaccuracy. Dororo had one. Gintama had zero. If you have a Gintoki avatar and are complaining about the historical inaccuracy (which I have actually seen), I'm going to side-eye the hell out of you.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:28 pm Reply with quote

Those are all legitimate criticisms of the show. "It's bad because it's historically inaccurate" is not.

What specific reviews are just saying "It's bad because it's historically inaccurate"? Because most everything I'm seeing, from what's written in this thread to other reviews, is "It's bad because it's historically inaccurate in ways that don't make for a cohesive world, stumbling in ways that other similar shows don't".

Last edited by JoelBurger on Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Edit: AGH I screwed up hitting the edit button on my first post. Oh well. Hooray for four hours of sleep.

Quote:
What specific reviews are just saying "It's bad because it's historically inaccurate"? Because most everything I'm seeing, from what's written in this thread to other reviews, is "It's bad because it's historically inaccurate in ways that don't make for a cohesive world, stumbling in ways that other similar shows don't".

They're all over MAL bro.
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Finished the show and damn was this underwhelming. Plot was all over the place, supporting characters were flat and the final villain was so underwhelming? Replaceable? Not even that threatening? All this before the show's poor juggling/handling of its different elements. I don't know if these were because it was only 6 episodes long though I can think of a few movies that I liked that had about the same time.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:41 pm Reply with quote

They're all over MAL bro.

So looking through all the top rated reviews, and pretty none of them could be boiled down to "it's historically inaccurate so it's bad". Some of them don't even mention the subject whatsoever, and when they do they go into specific detail about aspects of that inaccuracy that they think didn't work and why. I have no doubt there are reviews like that on the site, just like there are facile reviews for just about any show. But that's not exactly a majority to base a stance on, especially if you seemingly want to take the perspective that people have ulterior motives for a hypocritical stance on Yasuke vs. other similar anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5