• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord Omega Production Committee Apologizes for Usada Pekora Look

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James S.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Regardless my disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.
mognator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:20 pm Reply with quote
This is how you know ANN really doesn't do their due diligence.

Cover was actually fine with it. They weren't complaining at all. Cover never even sent a cease and desist. Pekora was even laughing about it.

But the committee took it upon themselves to apologize for this.

Cover did not care. The committee did. Don't make the news look like Cover actually told them to remove it because that is a lie.
Yaafm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Gray. wrote:
AnimeFlyz wrote:
Gray. wrote:
What about Malty on episode 1 and 4?
Also, i swear i saw Raphtalia in that orgy on episode 3.
Mad

Whoa Whoa Whoa. Excuse me?

This dude clearly looks like Malty: https://imgur.com/kx6rkl5
And this girl looks like Raphtalia: https://imgur.com/hXUifBg

Eh, the Malty is a stretch, the Raphtalia looks pretty close though
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:38 pm Reply with quote
mognator wrote:

Cover was actually fine with it. They weren't complaining at all. Cover never even sent a cease and desist. Pekora was even laughing about it.

Cover did not care. The committee did. Don't make the news look like Cover actually told them to remove it because that is a lie.

ANN's article does not say that Cover sent a cease-and-desist letter, nor does it say that Cover "told them to remove it."
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:04 am Reply with quote
Oh, but we're just going to ignore the fact that Jigen from Lupin III is right there next to her?
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:30 am Reply with quote
There are several elements to this as I see it. There is the likeness which is close but there is also the presentation which is at odds with the persona of Pekora as marketed. I think the latter may figure more into Cover wanting it to be removed.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:11 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Geez, what an overblown reaction to a normal random cameo. With owners this zealous SHAFT would have been banrupted in legal fees long before they got to make Bakemonogatari.

Gotta love copyright!
I really don't know any background information on this other than I know who Pekora is. But it seems like if the show's producers had to apologize, its because they didn't go through the proper channels to feature a character identical to Pekora. These days (emphasis on "these"), a legitimate cameo is usually when one character is featured in another show by the same production company or studio. Otherwise documented permission is needed. Also, the likeness is too similar to be an accident.

Wyvern wrote:
Oh, but we're just going to ignore the fact that Jigen from Lupin III is right there next to her?
I was thinking that was more like a middle-aged, unemployed Link with brown hair.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:40 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
mognator wrote:

ANN's article does not say that Cover sent a cease-and-desist letter, nor does it say that Cover "told them to remove it."

mognator never said the cease-and-desist was mentioned in the article. It was used as an example to show how little cover care about the matter.
You also have to admit that the article does imply that they are apologizing because of cover's intervention. You can see it in the replies to this article.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:15 am Reply with quote
zunderdog24 wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:
mognator wrote:

mognator never said the cease-and-desist was mentioned in the article. It was used as an example to show how little cover care about the matter.
You also have to admit that the article does imply that they are apologizing because of cover's intervention. You can see it in the replies to this article.

Here are the facts as laid out by the article
1- The committee spoke with Cover
2- They reached an agreement that the character would be replaced and issued an apology
Cover not sending a cease and desist was unnecessary because a resolution was already reached. Pretending that because they didn’t reach the point of sending one means that somehow they were ok with it is clearly unverifiable at best and directly wrong at worst. There was clearly enough of an issue that changes are being made and an apology was issued. Pekora herself enjoying it is irrelevant when considering the company as a whole. Pretending that accurately reporting on a the facts of a situation have an inherent bias is a complaint about reality, not the article.
JMmelegrito

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:31 am Reply with quote
I would certainly understand if Cover Corp. invoke their intellectual properties, considering that they had gone through trial-by-fire with that "vidpocalyse" with Capcom.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:59 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I really don't know any background information on this other than I know who Pekora is. But it seems like if the show's producers had to apologize, its because they didn't go through the proper channels to feature a character identical to Pekora. These days (emphasis on "these"), a legitimate cameo is usually when one character is featured in another show by the same production company or studio. Otherwise documented permission is needed. Also, the likeness is too similar to be an accident.

As I said, gotta love copyright.

That you have to go through hoops and loops and "proper channels" so your animator is allowed to draw a quick blink-and-you'll-miss-it easter egg that does no good or harm other than spicing up their work... is not something I'd say is "good".
Rewatch any SHAFT show from 2004 to 2010. You'll find so many cameos and references per episode that if they had to ask for formal permission for every single one of them they wouldn't be done with Tsukuyomi yet.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:52 am Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Honestly, they if removed the scarf and carrots in the braids it would just be another anime girl with bunny ears. Doesn't paint a pretty picture as far as Cover is concerned, and I wouldn't be surprised if folks start trying to sue each other over who made which girl + animal mashup first. Rolling Eyes

Also, the scarf.
I guess if they got rid of the scarf and carrots, they could get away with the braids.

In the U.S., a small parody like this is fine... Japan is a bit more touchy.

A little off-topic, but I can remember at least one official English sub translation that intentionally, and clumsily, adds a pop culture reference:
In an episode of Working/Wagnaria, Yamada yells at one of the guys... "Baka, baka, baka, baka, kappa!". The English sub.... "Boo, boo, boo, boo, boo-urns!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hornet65

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:46 pm Reply with quote
The difference between this and say Raphtalia showing up is that Pekora is considered by Cover and fans to be an Idol, and so she is held to those impossible standards. Cover may not have done anything. Some angry fans could have, the more hardcore of which are highly protective of their idols. Disturbingly so. Even more likely is some anti vtubers complained. The same anti vtubers that have pressured other companies into cancelling collaborations with hololive.

Now that's not to say cover couldn't have done anything. This likely violates their derivative works policy, which prohibits use of their talents for business or for-profit works. This cameo is shockingly close to Pekora, right down to the carrots and the bent ear. It's just a palette swap. There are hardcore fans of Pekora that would undoubtedly seek out and watch this one episode just to see gray Pekora for 3 seconds. So to Cover, the prospect of some company making money off of one of their talents is against their terms.
Heart of the Foreign God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:23 pm Reply with quote
[/img]
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:12 pm Reply with quote
...Is "bunny girl with braids" really so unique of a "design?" Really?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3