• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses RahXephon Anime With BD Release in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:59 am Reply with quote
I am very glad to finally see a domestic BD release of RahXephon. As far as Eva comparisons, I definitely see similarities. But I consider RahXephon its own thing.
Dextres

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:47 am Reply with quote
RahXephon is the type of series you want to watch for shameless plug + the series Photon just to get your anime fix in the boonies to clear out your day of meticulously chores and a clear bright day.

Please disregard my mindless gibbish of english above this sentence.

Mainlanders and popular crowd, fine your wave in the seasonal anime and pick your timeslots *wisely*.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:49 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Honestly, the TV series HD remaster looks a bit smeary and overfiltered, but the movie looks much better because they actually recomposed every shot from the TV series in HD so that they'd look good on a big screen.
Thanks for the info. A shame, it doesn't sound like upgrading from DVD is worth it then, and I wasn't into the Movie.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:58 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I own all of RahXephon (including the movie) on the original DVD releases but don't think I've rewatched any of it since the movie came out in the States. That's mostly because I always felt that the series was going out of its way to obfuscate things, and that irritated me.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one bugged by this.
Transformers03

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:24 pm Reply with quote
kae kurono wrote:
Quote:
Speaking of Evangelion, RahXephon was such a blatant imitation of Eva that it kind of made it feel more derivative and pretentious in comparison.

For the millionth time rah is not a rip-off of eva.
Rah is inspired by megazone 23 (1985) & brave raideen (1975)

"According to RahXephon director Yutaka Izubuchi, the similarity of designs and powers of the title robots and the basic plots of RahXephon and Raideen are intentional." animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2006/anime-expo/11

And on that note Eva is a little derivative of space runaway ideon (1980)

I understand the need to defend something as a rip-off as that has a negative connotation, and RahXephon clearly had its own ideas and was inspired by other things. Plenty of things have also been heavily inspired by past work, like, for example, the original Macross took a lot from the original Gundam. Does that mean both works can't stand on their own, and each be good in their own way? Of course not, and the same goes with Eva and RahXephon.

But... I still believe RahXephon was very apparent with its Eva inspiration. I think RahXephon made its story more obtuse in order to make it more confusing in order to match with Eva's storytelling. I think certain camera shots from RahXephon were also directly inspired by Eva. I also feel that RahXephon's mecha and character designs were meant to evoke Eva, even if their not a total one-to-one. The surreal ending of RahXephon also feels like it was trying to copy the nonsensical ending of the original Evangelion, yet that one maybe can be more of a coincidence.

If you really think about it, everything is inspired by anything. Eva was clearly inspired by the works of Tomino from the 80s, so does that make Eva a rip-off of Ideon or classic Gundam? Not necessarily, and the same goes with other shows. However, I think the term rip-off does imply to RahXephon. Given the time it released, and the fact that the show was trying to evoke so much of Evangelion stylistically and tone that I think the inspirations are not only clearly identified, but also blatant.

This doesn't mean RahXephon is a bad show, or it doesn't have its own story. RahXephon had its own crazy stuff like time bubbles and had a whole music theme totally unique to its own. The final scene of the show was a real "Ahh, I get it now" moment that I feel goes underappreciated in the greater anime fandom. Of course, the animation and overall style are pretty great. Does it matter that I, personally think it's an Eva rip-off? Ultimately, it doesn't, and I'm very much looking forwards to the Blu-Rays.
RahxephonKun

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:38 pm Reply with quote
LightningCount wrote:
RahXephon is one of the best anime I have ever seen, and I've seen a lot. The first time I watched it in 2002, it would enthrall me at some points and frustrate me at others, and then the ending blew my mind. This is a series that is close to impossible to "grasp" in one viewing. The second and subsequent times I've been inspired to watch it, I realized all the little things it does, and it's amazing. It has such a naturalistic vibe to it in how it crafts its world and characters, and there are layers upon layers of details to its world. It really takes you away to another place that feels real and lived-in. The design work is gorgeous and meticulous and I found the emotions of the character stories much more balanced and nuanced than in EVA. Yes, it's convoluted, and it has its weak points within the complications/implications to some of those convolutions, but that sense of mystery becomes one of its charms. This isn't a fast-paced series; it's more of a meditative experience with flashes of brilliant action. That's what threw me off in the first viewing. It will sometimes ask you to just sit with the characters and/or hang out with them, to experience their world in its day-to-day reality.

I think there are similarities with EVA, but I wouldn't call it a ripoff, and I would say that it's a better series than EVA overall. It's more consistent in tone and gives a more rounded look at humanity. I feel like the first two Rebuild films of EVA had more of a RahXephon tone. They rarely make anime like this anymore. This is one of BONES' best.

The movie version is really not very good, though, in my opinion. It strips away and alters too much of what made the series good. The new opening prequel minutes of the film version are great (and spoilery)...but they should have been included in the series as flashbacks. That they are used to set up an alternate telling of the story that is substantially different is a disappointment.

As far as Fafner, it does pull from RahXephon, but it really is its own thing and is far more expansive of a world than either EVA or RahXephon. Fafner is sort of like if RahXephon and Macross and Gundam fused. 2015's Fafner Exodus, in particular, is one of the best anime of the last 20 years, in my opinion.

For the record, Hades Project Zeorymer is also a series that EVA has similarities with that predates EVA.

By pigeonholing RahXephon as an EVA clone, it does a disservice to the quality of this series. There are some really talented episode directors on RahXephon, too, like Gundam 0080's Fumihiko Takayama, and without saying too much, it definitely shows. The biggest regret I have about RahXephon is it didn't have maybe one more episode of runtime to fit in the movie flashback and expand on the epic climax of episode 24. But the series crams in so much, there really wasn't much time to do more.

Of note, I would think this new version fixes the smearing of the credits ADV did in the original during the opening minutes to paste in English credits over the cold-opening animation of episode 1.

Really glad this series is getting a rerelease. I don't expect it to have too much of an impact these days, but it's one of those landmark series that kept my interest in anime going. I love this one.

EDIT: If you're new, and think you might be interested at all, don't read any summaries. This series is best going in blind. I didn't know anything about it when I first saw it, and that made a huge difference, since there are so many twists, especially early on. I got to experience the disorienting weirdness with the characters.

Zhou-BR wrote:
Honestly, the TV series HD remaster looks a bit smeary and overfiltered, but the movie looks much better because they actually recomposed every shot from the TV series in HD so that they'd look good on a big screen.

I was just ready to ask about this. Thanks.

I just want to say I love you . I agree with everything you said about RahXephon especially about it being a meditative experience and having a more fleshed out world and characters than Evangelion. It’s probably my favorite anime of all time , up there with lain , texhnolyze , Eva etc . Also fafner exodus is quite good . You have great taste . Anyone who brushes RahXephon off as just a worthless Eva clone really doesn’t know what they are missing , also one thing you didn’t mention is the music / OST of RahXephon . It’s my fav Ost ever there are so many beautiful songs and recurring themes . When I saw this box set getting released I immediately preordered .

Also I really don’t care calling it rip off or clone , if anime like this is considered rip off then please by all means give me more eva rip offs ! If that will lead to anime like this , eureka 7, fafner exodus etc etc I say we need more eva clones in this world instead of all the inane shitty anime made every season today .
Kraz

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Transformers03 wrote:
But... I still believe RahXephon was very apparent with its Eva inspiration. I think RahXephon made its story more obtuse in order to make it more confusing in order to match with Eva's storytelling. I think certain camera shots from RahXephon were also directly inspired by Eva. I also feel that RahXephon's mecha and character designs were meant to evoke Eva, even if their not a total one-to-one. The surreal ending of RahXephon also feels like it was trying to copy the nonsensical ending of the original Evangelion, yet that one maybe can be more of a coincidence.

This just prove you understand nothing ? 0.o
Sorry but you're just being blinded by the whole Rah is an Eva copy whole thing on the contrary, and just take it as an explanation of everything instead of thinking rationally...

The mecha design has already been explained, but the story, they made it confusing to look like Eva ? wtf, this is so far-fetched xD
So no, they didn't make it on purpose, nothing is set in stone when the production begin, Eva was supposed to be a plain Gundam/Mazinger-like, RahXephon was based on Brave Raideen, Izubuchi knew it was no longer a time for hero vs devil baddies, and that is part because of Eva.

But if the story is confusing for you, blame it on a bad pacing, bad writing, etc... it has nothing to do with Evangelion.

I love RahXephon but it's far from perfect, and I remember lots of discussion about the subplots/backstory during the fansub releases, japan fans got more information with some books/interviews after with the movie, the main plot do get a concrete resolution, but I believe they were at the end short in time and they just prioritized it, that's disappointing when you like to have the complete picture Sad

Izubuchi acknowledged himself the movie was a failure on this point, as it didn't include enough backstory/explanation for lots of things like the army/war (how is it funded ? etc...)
I found that funny at that time because some of the things he talked were often barely explained in the TV serie, if I remember well many things were supposed to be implied from a few dialogue lines you can't understand at the first viewing...

And seriously, I would love to see those claiming the 2 series are alike to describe their respective main theme, because I love both, but Evangelion is clearly about depression and a boy who can't accept itself, and Rahxephon about war and love.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:56 pm Reply with quote
YES! I adore RahXephon and will gladly take a blu-ray of it, even if the digi-paint of the era won't look that great enhanced.

And I think the old "How much of RahXephon is deliberately lifted from Evangelion?" debate is going to take a very amusing turn once Eva 3.0 + 1.0 becomes more widely seen. Because it seems that Anno may browed some Izubuchi's ideas and themes for his resolution.

Personally, I say what sets them apart is that RahXephon's setting and it's mysteries may be obtuse but they MATTER to what the story's about while Eva's is just really window-dressing and geeky Tokusatsu references. Case in point, The Angels and SEELE are ultimately stage props in the service of a real world message. The Mu and Ernst Von Bähbem on the other hand, actually are vital to what's going on in RahX's plot. And so on.

If anything, I'd say that RahXephon has more in common with Steven Moffat's Doctor Who and The Time Traveler's Wife as it's really a love story in the form of a narrative puzzle box.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:26 pm Reply with quote
As I said in the retail forum thread, this is a fantastic surprise. It's been well over a decade since I watched RahXephon, but I remember enjoying it a great deal, and I still have the ADV brick boxset sitting on a nearby shelf. Definitely going to double-dip on this.

About the inevitable Eva comparisons, I don't think there's anyone who'd deny that RahXephon owes at least something of its structure and premise to Eva, just as the vast majority of mecha series that came out in the few years also did. (Mike Toole wrote a whole column about Evangel-a-likes.) But Eva was far from its only influence, and it very much told its own sort of story. By its conclusion Eva all but abandoned the world it had created, and even its core narrative, in favor of being an outlet for Anno's depression, and while I think it's a fascinating case-study of how a fictional work can reflect an author's mental state, I honestly don't think it holds up from a storytelling standpoint. As has been said, in contrast, RahXephon does treat its world-building with deliberate purpose and works toward an actual narrative conclusion. That alone makes it a very different animal.
I Am Audrey, how are you

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I’m surprised it took this long,
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:28 am Reply with quote
Sentai had the streaming license to Rahxephon as it has been up on HiDive for a long while now but I’m glad to see it getting a new HD physical release. I really enjoyed Rahxephon though it’s been a few years since I’ve seen it. I see Rahxephon as more of a response to Eva than a direct rip off and as others have said I think Rahxephon has a more streamlined plot than Eva but still plays on surrealism. I feel like with Eva I like the characters and their personal drama more than I do the Rahxephon cast whereas I feel more invested in the world building and mysteries of Rahxephon than I did Eva as with Eva I feel like you’ll ultimately never really get a straight answer about anything and it really succeeds off the strengths of Eva’s character writing and themes. I would say to just watch both to get the full experience and it would be interesting to watch them back to back.
PatrickD

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:28 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
I even have that first Newtype USA issue from Anime Boston with a Rah Xephon cover. Park Plaza peeps, was that then? I still have the shirt that came out of the box set!!!

Newtype USA pre-dates Anime Boston, so the first issue did not come out at Anime Boston. The first Anime Boston program guide in 2003 DID have RahXephon on the cover though.

Fun Fact: The AB2003 program guide was SUPPOSED to have a Gundam Wing image on the cover that had Boston in the background. (We are the only con to ever have all five Gundam Wing pilot voice actors.) The Gundam Wing cover had even gotten the okay from Bandai. However, the program guide designer took it upon himself to change the cover and send it to print without telling anyone first. He thought RahXephon should be on the cover because we had a guest from that show. Unfortunately, he used a mecha image design and our guest was the character designer, not the mecha designer. In years when Anime Boston presents the convention museum, the original cover to that program guide is sometimes on display.
Dolza

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:23 am Reply with quote
One of my all-time favorites. The story, the music, the designs, the backgrounds, and the action are all top-shelf. (It does take more than one viewing to grasp some of the details.)
Episode 19 is a masterpiece. It can almost stand on its own as a short film, with everything you need for expert storytelling all in one. I have the DVD box set (with tee-shirt) but I will most definitely get this new release.
pengin senshi
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I've been meaning to rewatch RahXephon properly, so this sounds like a good excuse, even though I did snag a copy of one of the Thinpaks before they disappeared.

My one viewing experience was courtesy of TechTV/G4TV's Anime Unleashed block, and I don't remember if content was edited for time. It didn't help that I missed an episode due to me flubbing my DVD recorder time...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:18 am Reply with quote
Given Sentai's penchant for bringing back better-performing or more-acclaimed titles from the ADV back catalogue, I'm surprised this wasn't announced sooner, especially since RahXephon's been streaming on HiDive for the better part of the last decade.

I've also been around for many of the "RahXephon vs. Evangelion" debates, but after rewatching RahXephon awhile back, I came to the conclusion that NGE is the wrong comparison. Instead, RahXephon should be considered among its peers in the moé harem comedy genre from the early 2000s, like Ai Yori Aoshi, Girls Bravo, Love Hina, Hanaukyo Maid Team, and DearS. While it doesn't have as much fanservice as some of those shows, and much of the comedy is unintentional, RahXephon does feature a fair number of archetype-fitting female characters interested in male lead Ayato, such as:

Haruka Shitow -- the badass "older woman" who takes Ayato away from his humdrum Ordinary Highschool Boy Existence into a world of adventure, but also has a number of ditzy and vulnerable "gap moé" moments.
Megumi Shitow -- the tsundere "little sister" type who (along with Haruka) lives with Ayato, acts cold to him at first but warms up to him later.
Quon -- the kinda-vaguely-related-to-Ayato "emotionless / no-exposure-taboo girl" type.
Hiroko Asahina -- the ordinary classmate / childhood friend, spoiler[but with a dark secret.]
Elvy Hadhiyat -- a more peripheral member of the harem, but does have a "drunken flirtation" scene to her credit.

Between all those female characters, two consecutive beach episodes, and (at the risk of overhyping), the oft-mentioned episode 19 that doesn't lose anything in comparison to AIR/Kanon-levels of melodramatic tragedy, RahXephon is an easy recommendation to any fan of the moé harem comedy genre, as long as they can put up with large amounts of mythological philosophizing and moderately-uninspired mecha fights that mainly consist of Dolems floating around singing to highlight Deep Musical Themes and the Xephon punching them until they crumble apart.

LightningCount wrote:
Of note, I would think this new version fixes the smearing of the credits ADV did in the original during the opening minutes to paste in English credits over the cold-opening animation of episode 1.

We can hope so, although HiDive still uses the old DVD version with the blurred/overlaid JP credits. We could wind up in another Discotek/Blue Seed "we got forced to use the crappy old hardsubbed/overlaid masters even though better versions* exist" situation. (*The theoretically better version, in that case, being the Japanese DVD masters of Blue Seed, as opposed to the ADV DVD or the bad JP BD upscale)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3