• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Plus-Sized Elf Manga Changes Publishers, Goes on Half-Year Hiatus (Updated)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:10 am Reply with quote
Looks like there must have been a serious disagreement between the editor and the mangaka about the direction this manga was going to take in the near future. Because there is an obvious difference between a manga being axed due to lack of popularity and a suspension of a manga which is atm being translated to several languages.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:30 am Reply with quote
I just hope this won't affect Seven Seas' ability to publish the remainder of the series. I remember when they lost both Blood Alone and Angel Para Bellum because of publisher changes in Japan.

Curious as to what the disagreement was, too. Was it content (more risque vs. toned down?) or something else in the series' overall direction? It has been spinning its wheels in the last couple of volumes with no major plot advancements and much less romantic tension between our leads than I expected would happen.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Akcoll99 wrote:
Curious as to what the disagreement was, too. Was it content (more risque vs. toned down?) or something else in the series' overall direction?

Chances are this is no different from Bakuman, where the editor wanted at all costs to be in charge of a comedy manga and the mangaka trying but ultimately not that interested in doing just that.

Of course, if the mangaka is going to attempt the natural plot development and getting our fantasy females more buffed due to the exercise and diet, more power to him!
Zimmer

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:32 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Of course, if the mangaka is going to attempt the natural plot development and getting our fantasy females more buffed due to the exercise and diet, more power to him!
But that would keep them stuck in the human world for the same reason weight gain does. Kinda got that with the two gorgon sisters anyway.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:24 am Reply with quote
The manga isn't going to change directions because this is a fetish manga for people who like chubby girls. That's what the author's always drawn for years before he started this manga. It's so funny to me, and maybe weirds me out a little, how places like ANN have to pretend that this is just a normal manga and report on it to a massive audience.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:03 am Reply with quote
Enroll her on The Biggest Loser
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:38 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
It's so funny to me, and maybe weirds me out a little, how places like ANN have to pretend that this is just a normal manga and report on it to a massive audience.

And what qualifies to YOU as a "normal" manga? I mean there's 18+ hentai manga, and then there's normal manga. We can debate the size of the target audience, but it's still a "normal" manga title. There's nothing off about any anime/manga related news/review source covering an actual manga release. Seems like you're just complaining that the title is getting any coverage because you simply don't like it. Especially since it "weirds you out" that an anime/manga news site would cover an actual manga title. Shocker.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:12 am Reply with quote
Woah, that's a bizarre amount of assumption going on. Please try to have a little more faith in other people - it's not really a nice experience to be accused of all this stuff just because I thought this was a funny/strange situation.

I'm seriously curious about questions like "in what way did I even suggest that I dislike this", but arguing about the minutiae of my own post in this thread is exactly what I'm trying to say should not happen. There is no need to interpret every idle comment as a "complaint" to be 'dealt with'.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:51 am Reply with quote
BTW, the author just uploaded to twitter the last chapter of the manga (46):

https://twitter.com/synecdoche445/status/1390308628586852356

Seems to me that is a parting shot to his old publisher, but I could be reading too much into it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1