• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Sells Out of Legend of the Galactic Heroes Box Set Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Well at least we got the remake at a decent price there is always that, but I prefer the original. Production I.G is doing a good job so far.

Sad to see this was the only way Sentai could release the series physically, but there was probably nothing they could do about that. At least fansubs and torrents are forever lol. xD
GNPixie

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:

Sad to see this was the only way Sentai could release the series physically, but there was probably nothing they could do about that. At least fansubs and torrents are forever lol. xD

For some people, that'd be the only only way they could experience the original adaption given Sentai doesn't ship outside of the US and this was a Sentai Store exclusive.

EDIT: Not counting Streaming but Streaming's not a permanant option either given licenses expire, etc.
Marzan

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:20 pm Reply with quote
As someone who purchased this, I must say that bang for buck it’s not as expensive as it seems. It includes the entire series, side stories and films. It’s much cheaper per minute than let’s say Aniplex’s luxury box sets.
I Am Audrey, how are you

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
They will likely break it down into three sets at $299.99 each. Wink
They aren’t AoA (Aniplex of America) lmao
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:13 am Reply with quote
$800 was an absurd price tag, even for all of LoGH, one of my favorite anime. I know the Japanese have to pay even more, but they shouldn't have to pay that, either. It's not even a new show, it's a show from the 1980s and 90s, and Sentai didn't even dub it (I am aware they couldn't because of missing M&E tracks). Honestly, I think the people who bought the set enabled a whole lot of greed from the Japanese rights holders.

I guess I'll have to settle with the ten novels Haikasoru translated and the Die Neue These TV series (still waiting for that third season).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
thecasualfanatic

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I was lucky enough to even get a copy... March 4th of last year! I don't even remember hearing a release date, other than their 2018 convention announcement, stating that they were going to release it later on that year, sometime.... Happy Star Wars Day! They finally sold out of 1000 sets! Like this announcement, I got a Spidey-sense tingle to look up the boxed set on the Sentai website and ponder what ever happened to the original survey from years past... and somehow I found what needed to be found.

I would have spent more money, for far less... I even pledged that I would have purchased it at the $2k asking price! But that's because I'm a humble fan of that anime genre and art style! I'd probably be just as ecstatic if someone released Round Vernian Vifam, Heavy Metal L-Gaim, Blue Comet SPT Layzner or Fang of the Sun Dougram... Discotek, anyone? (Razz)

I kinda wish that other distributors would step it up and release some other classics... Discotek seems to be the only one leading the way, for mainly older space opera/ mecha content (aside from maybe Right Stuf with Sunrise)! Although, there are plenty of other genres that could use a good bridge into the west! But I guess we are just lucky that Sentai flipped the bill on this one, but other than maybe Gatchaman, Sentai hasn't really been pursuing any other series that seem to interest me, at this point. Thanks anyway, and congrats!
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 11:40 am Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
As someone who purchased this, I must say that bang for buck it’s not as expensive as it seems. It includes the entire series, side stories and films. It’s much cheaper per minute than let’s say Aniplex’s luxury box sets.

Being somewhat cheaper per minute than something that is even more disgustingly price-gouging is hardly something to brag about.There's a good reason I've never bought anything from AoA: even counting shipping importing region B disks from the UK or Australia usually costs less than half as much as dealing with AoA's domestic nonsense. This is very much in the same boat.

And before anyone says "well you could have just saved up for it," yes, I could have, but I wasn't going to. I'm fast coming up on 900 separate anime releases, and I can count individual releases I've paid more than $100 for on one hand (and most of that was in the bad old days of $30 singles and pricey standard boxsets). I've easily spent more than $800 total on One Piece, but that was over more than a decade of buying and probably over 40 sets at this point. No single release, no matter how much I love the series, is worth dropping the price of a mid-range laptop on. Period.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2