• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Looks into More Animated Works

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:41 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
What's the next logical step? Star Fox? Zelda? Donkey Kong?

All three. Star Fox and Zelda could work as 13 to 26-episode seasons, or as 1 to 2 hour-long movies, while Donkey Kong could work as 3 to 11-minute episodes.

Beatdigga wrote:
Nintendo and Dreamworks would likely be butting heads every five seconds, to use an example.

Why?

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Do people really think Sony is going to make animated movies for their rival company?

Yeah! Wink

AiddonValentine wrote:
Games to NOT adapt: Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem (we all remember the middling OVA). Instead, try Kid Icarus or Splatoon.

Why? I know you said that the Fire Emblem OVA is middling, but why shouldn't they try a new direction for an adaptation?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:52 am Reply with quote
Why?

Because generally speaking, the bigger a studio is, the more creative control they want over a property. I imagine Nintendo was more willing to work with Illumitoon when they expressed deference to them over how their characters should be portrayed.
matt78

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:50 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Why?

Because generally speaking, the bigger a studio is, the more creative control they want over a property. I imagine Nintendo was more willing to work with Illumitoon when they expressed deference to them over how their characters should be portrayed.

Doesn't Universal own both DreamWorks Animation and Illumination? If so wouldn't Universal have a say in which studio they wanted Nintendo to work with.

As for what I would like them to adapt I will show my age and ask for a reboot of Captain N - the Game Master.
Otaku-sempai

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:57 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Games to NOT adapt: Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem (we all remember the middling OVA). Instead, try Kid Icarus or Splatoon.

Really? Because The Legend of Zelda and its spin offs seems to be a no-brainer.

Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Wed May 05, 2021 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Otaku-sempai wrote:

Really? Because The Legend of Zelda and its spin offs seems to be a no-brainer.[/spoiler]

Because 1) they would probably just try to adapt one of the games and the fact of the matter is stuff like Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and Breath of the Wild do not lend themselves to traditional, linear storytelling. They're more about immersing yourself in the world, experiencing Hyrule, exploring every nook and cranny. And that can't be replicated without the interactive nature of gaming. It's an exercise in futility.

And even if that weren't the case there's: 2) narrative-based games are often the WORST ones to adapt. You can't really truncate, expand, or modify parts of a game's narrative without it falling apart; it's why no one has tried to do anime versions of any of the Final Fantasy games. They SEEM like a good idea, but often they lead to a complete mess. Best to just leave them as games.
sfried

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Do people really think Sony is going to make animated movies for their rival company?

Surprisingly enough, it isn't out of the question.

There have been talks before between Nintendo and Sony Pictures to release a Mario film adaptation. This was, of course, before the Illumination deal came into fruition. (Oh, even the article mentioned it!)

And it seems working with competitors isn't as unlikely as people think. See the various deals Nintendo and Microsoft have done.

As for Illumination and the Mario film project, it has been confirmed by Nintendo President Shuntaro Fukuwara that Miyamoto apparently has full creative control over it.

As for dream colab, Sony Picture Animation adaptation of Punch Out!
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:53 am Reply with quote
sfried wrote:
As for Illumination and the Mario film project, it has been confirmed by Nintendo President Shuntaro Fukuwara that Miyamoto apparently has full creative control over it.

Going off what Paper Mario fans say, Miyamoto being in charge isn't all that reassuring

All I know is if the trailer isn't like the this I'll be disappointed.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Or Dreamworks,

Eh

Wyvern wrote:
or Sony Pictures Animation,

If any potential adaptations are going to retain Into The Spiderverse's weird animation style nope. Plus there are unfortunately some people not down with Sony and their Film branch for "reasons".

Wyvern wrote:
or Cartoon Saloon

Who?

Wyvern wrote:
or Laika

Good one Razz

Wyvern wrote:
and those are just if you limit yourself to major western studios. There's plenty of options that have better track records than Illumination.

But not exactly known globally or even in the mainstream.

Covnam wrote:
It'd be nice to see their IP used in some new anime or western animation.
Zelda by Genndy Tartakovski would work well I think considering Samurai Jack was quite a quiet protagonist.

Except Jack does speak multiple times in most episodes barring some "rare" exceptions. The silent protagonist is an outdated trope in video games one that would never work in any other medium.

AiddonValentine wrote:
Games to NOT adapt: Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem (we all remember the middling OVA).

How if "all" of us never watched it?

AiddonValentine wrote:
Instead, try Kid Icarus or Splatoon.

I don't think Kid Icarus would go over well between the fact that Greek Mythology is an overused setting to say nothing of the fact that if it takes from Uprising you're going to have a problem since a good part of Uprising relied heavily on shout outs to other Nintendo franchises, fourth wall breaking. All the while very little of the cast or the world was fleshed out. Splatoon is definitely a big question mark.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2