• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gucci, Crunchyroll Team Up For Luxury Bananya Apparel

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:03 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
It's a line of mascot characters for Q-Lia, a company producing and selling fancy stationery and whose main target demo is young women in their '20s.

That's interesting. I'd kind of suspected Bananya was a fancy goods mascot, but the import shops I frequent tend to prioritize San-X, Sanrio, etc. related items for that sort of thing, so I haven't seen much Bananya stuff on them. Don't think I've even heard of Q-Lia before.
SHD

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:39 am Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
SHD wrote:
It's a line of mascot characters for Q-Lia, a company producing and selling fancy stationery and whose main target demo is young women in their '20s.

That's interesting. I'd kind of suspected Bananya was a fancy goods mascot, but the import shops I frequent tend to prioritize San-X, Sanrio, etc. related items for that sort of thing, so I haven't seen much Bananya stuff on them. Don't think I've even heard of Q-Lia before.

I'm not really an expert of this market, but I've seen their stuff around in English language online shops while shopping for gifts, Bananya included... I don't know if they were licensed resellers though, as far as I'm aware Q-Lia mostly sell their stuff in their own online shop. They're certainly not as huge as the likes of Disney or Sanrio, but I think they mostly cater to a narrower market, anyway. Bananya is just one of their mascot/product lines, they carry a whole lot of cute stuff, not only stationery but various small items and lifestyle accessories. A lot of it is definitely the sort of stuff that would interest young women with enough disposable income to be able to afford Gucci, Louis Vuitton, etc. brands at least once in a while.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:45 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't buy it but this is an interesting collab.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 11:41 am Reply with quote
Anyone willing to plop down over $1200 for a goddamn hoodie deserves to be smacked upside the head.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:34 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
You do realize that Bananya is not just an anime, right? It's a line of mascot characters for Q-Lia, a company producing and selling fancy stationery and whose main target demo is young women in their '20s. It's not targeting children or otaku or whatever. Crunchyroll may be involved but the target audience for this merch is not kids, let alone American kids, let alone the usual American Crunchyroll customer. It's fashion-conscious young women in Japan (and elsewhere in Asia, I suppose) who enjoy whimsical and cute stuff, and are willing to spend money on such designer apparel. Are the prices ridiculous for such simple designs? Yes. Is it completely in line with designer fashion that a lot of people, especially people in Q-Lia's and Gucci's target demographics, happily splurge on anyway? Yes. People spend money on their hobby, be it fashion, cosplay, games, figurines, collecting anime, etc. in ways that for "outsiders" may seem ridiculous, but it's their money so who cares? (Also, I'm fairly sure nobody is expecting these to sell like hotcakes, and I'm also fairly sure that the people behind this campaign had a good idea of the expected demand...)

For that matter, as someone who also enjoys whimsical and cute stuff, you bet I would be right there splurging along for at least one item, were I 1. less money-conscious, 2. younger, because to be honest I'm getting too old to really rock "youthful, cute & whimsical".

Honestly I know very little about bananya, though I am not surprised it's a mascot character.
I can understand gucci doing this. It's super in line for them. I'm just still a bit hazy on the CR side in terms of marketing. Targeting to Asian audience does not help the Crunchyroll brand as I don't believe they're available in Asia (especially not Japan). Does Q-Lia own the marketing rights for Bananya in Asia and Crunchyroll has it worldwide exc Asia?
But like I said before, this may be more about the cred of collabing with Gucci and the royalties (I guess) from the overpriced products than it is a tactical marketing ploy to the actual CR consumers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2