• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toei Announces New Dragon Ball Super Anime Film for 2022

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:30 am Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
I expect nothing in terms of interesting about this movie. The first canon movie in the series, Kami to Kami, actually had something new and the possibilities after that could have been amazing. What was the sequel to that? Fukkatsu no F, with the revival of Freeza. Rehashing old villains instead of making a new one is the reason why the movie was so disappointing. The outcome was obvious. I'm not going to bring up the Super anime.

Skip to the 1st Super movie. What do they do? Rehash old content by making Broly canon. Oh, and bring back Freeza making him do what he does best even after the events of CnT. With these movies, its either they bring back a old villain or they're fighting a Saiyan. That's the cycle and they refuse to do something new.

The fights may have been awesome, but in terms of advancing the story, they do a poor job of it.

I mean its been 8 years since Battle of Gods and we still haven't reached the End of Z era.

Its pretty clear they don't have much interest in advancing the story.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:31 am Reply with quote
Black Turtle wrote:
If only they could stop to bring back old characters. I mean, Freeza in Resurection of F, Future Trunks in the Zamasu one, C17 in tounament, Broly in the last movie. It's time to move on. That's why I liked the Moro arc that much. They didn't feel the need to base their story on a old character, neither did they put one there just for nostalgia.

Yet they couldn't stop with the DBZ nostalgia because it had a moment in that arc which reminded people of Cell.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:38 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Black Turtle wrote:
If only they could stop to bring back old characters. I mean, Freeza in Resurection of F, Future Trunks in the Zamasu one, C17 in tounament, Broly in the last movie. It's time to move on. That's why I liked the Moro arc that much. They didn't feel the need to base their story on a old character, neither did they put one there just for nostalgia.

Yet they couldn't stop with the DBZ nostalgia because it had a moment in that arc which reminded people of Cell.

That arc basically ends with Moro becoming a Cell rip-off. Seriously his final form is literally a fusion of Cell and Cooler as well as following the same general beats of the character. It was awful, just completely ruined the character.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:22 am Reply with quote
Chris Handsome wrote:
And they can't even do the nostalgia right. They completely botched the classic sound effects and overall design of Dragon Ball, and the violence has been heavily toned down too, not even allowed to show blood anymore, can't even do Roshi's perverted antics at all either.

Instead you get Vegeta as a comedy character stuck in some slice of life.

I'll agree that the violence is toned down, the lack of blood is jarring, and the sound design can be iify at times, but I remember quite a few perverted Roshi moments in Super. One of the fights he had in the Tournament of Power he flat out won by saying he was going to molest his female opponent so she ran out of the ring to disqualify herself. Plus that whole Yurin episode.

The toned down violence is especially odd since One Piece airs right after Super did and doesn't have the same restrictions in terms of violence and blood. They're both two of the most popular Toei series so it can't just be the more popular series getting away with more either. I don't mind Dragonball getting more movies but after Super being very lukewarm overall I wouldn't want another TV series unless they can dedicate themselves to a better product.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind if Toriyama used new characters as protagonists over Goku and Vegeta. He messed up in the Buu arc with Gohan, Goten and Trunks and Super was an excessive usage of Goku and Vegeta having their personality being dumber than usual. Already the Goku arc showed that the series can use others like Trunks to stand up but no, the villain had to win. Even in DBS Broly, Goku and Vegeta had nothing to do with the villain while Frieza became Saturday morning villain.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Matches Malone wrote:

Vegeta acting overly goofy made since within the context of BOG, but that shouldn't be his default characterization.

Neither should his default characterization continue to be pompous, selfish, asshole/dumbass who only wants to defeat Goku.

Even Piccolo largely moved on from his original character quirks.

Black Turtle wrote:

Eventhough the Moro Arc had him wreaking havoc across New Namek which was not too far removed from the original Frieza Arc except spoiler[Moro succeeds at using the DragonBalls and defeating Goku?]

Rob19ny wrote:

Skip to the 1st Super movie. What do they do? Rehash old content by making Broly canon.

Which to be fair they did because Broly is popular (and to appease the segment of fans pissed at Kale having the temerity to be the USSJ of another universe). It’s also nice they made him less of one note character who wants to kill Goku because he kept crying all the time as a baby. They also made Gogeta canon.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:03 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

Vegeta acting overly goofy made since within the context of BOG, but that shouldn't be his default characterization.

Neither should his default characterization continue to be pompous, selfish, asshole/dumbass who only wants to defeat Goku.

Even Piccolo largely moved on from his original character quirks.

Except Vegeta’s default personality is NOT selfish, pompous, asshole/dumbass. He actually cares for and fights for others and shows guilt about his past.

Yes he still sees Goku as a Rival but his path to “defeat” Goku has been in healthier and more positive ways.

And yes Vegeta will always be a bit of a Tsundere but that is just the humor of his character. It is not meant to be taken so seriously.
Mr. slicer

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Matros wrote:
Chris Handsome wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
The powers at be seem too afraid to truly try something new with the franchise, and instead play things safe and rely on nostalgia

And they can't even do the nostalgia right. They completely botched the classic sound effects and overall design of Dragon Ball, and the violence has been heavily toned down too, not even allowed to show blood anymore, can't even do Roshi's perverted antics at all either.

Instead you get Vegeta as a comedy character stuck in some slice of life.

>They completely botched the classic sound effects
Well excuse Araki for being busy working on another show and not dedicating his whole life to one franchise.

>overall design of Dragon Ball
Broly in terms of aesthetic and visuals was the best DB has ever looked. When creating the designs Shintani paid tribute to Maeda's early DBZ era designs while also putting his own spin on them. The results spoke for themselves and it made many animators happy.

>the violence has been heavily toned down
Thank the international market for that.

And the last thing... why in the world would you even want that? Says more about you than anything.

I believe the lack of violence has more to do with the fact that Super airs on Sunday mornings whereas the older series (the original, Z and GT) had an early evening slot whichI I believe was 7:30 PM on Wednesday. Obviously you can get away with more in the early evenings. Also, Roshi’s perverted antics were likely cut due to a complaint by a Japanese watchdog group in 2017 animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2017-06-12/lascivious-master-roshi-suspected-target-in-latest-bpo-published-complaint/.117351.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

Except Vegeta’s default personality is NOT selfish, pompous, asshole/dumbass. He actually cares for and fights for others and shows guilt about his past.

Eventually

Up until then all those things I mentioned previously was pretty much what his character was.

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
And yes Vegeta will always be a bit of a Tsundere but that is just the humor of his character. It is not meant to be taken so seriously.

I don't know why you're telling me that I liked Z but I have no problem with it's tone. I mean yeah the animation and art can go to hell (just like Z) and the writing is iffy (just like most of the series) but it' fine.
Valjean Lafitte

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:48 am Reply with quote
Matros wrote:

And the last thing... why in the world would you even want that? Says more about you than anything.

Not as much as your rude attempt at virtue signaling says about you, I'm afraid.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:01 am Reply with quote
Mr. slicer wrote:
I believe the lack of violence has more to do with the fact that Super airs on Sunday mornings whereas the older series (the original, Z and GT) had an early evening slot whichI I believe was 7:30 PM on Wednesday. Obviously you can get away with more in the early evenings. Also, Roshi’s perverted antics were likely cut due to a complaint by a Japanese watchdog group in 2017 animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2017-06-12/lascivious-master-roshi-suspected-target-in-latest-bpo-published-complaint/.117351.

Yet One Piece airs immediately after at 9:30 AM and has all of it's violence kept intact.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3