• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toei Announces New Dragon Ball Super Anime Film for 2022

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:32 am Reply with quote
I mean hey that last movie with Broly was pretty fun, I wouldn’t mind seeing more
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:41 am Reply with quote
I really hope it's not an adaptation of the Moro arc. Not because the arc was bad, but because there's no way they could effectively condense it down to movie length. Especially in light of the 8th One Piece movie, Toei doesn't have a particularly good track record with film adaptations of longer story arcs.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:44 am Reply with quote
Why not just a sequel season to tv series and movie?
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:02 am Reply with quote
Masako Nozawa isn't getting any younger, so they might as well make a few more movies while she is still around. DBS: Broly was good but not really in anyway a conclusion to the franchise.
Matches Malone

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:23 am Reply with quote
Outside the 2013 Battle of Gods movie, everything DB has offered has a "been there, done that" feeling to it, so I'm not expecting anything different here. The powers at be seem too afraid to truly try something new with the franchise, and instead play things safe and rely on nostalgia. With that said, I expect this to be a fun movie, so there's that to look forward to.
SnK

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:41 am Reply with quote
Yooooooooooooooooo I can't wait! DBS Broly was sick! Very Happy Very Happy
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:15 am Reply with quote
Ah Toei Europe, had to spoil things with your leaks again huh?

JoelBurger wrote:
I really hope it's not an adaptation of the Moro arc. Not because the arc was bad, but because there's no way they could effectively condense it down to movie length. Especially in light of the 8th One Piece movie, Toei doesn't have a particularly good track record with film adaptations of longer story arcs.

There was a lot of crap in that arc so it should be condensed with the worst of it cut completely from the movie.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:36 am Reply with quote
There's a Toei Animation Europe?
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:52 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Toei has a couple of international branches including one in Hong Kong (Toei Animation Enterprises), one in the Americas (Toei Animation Inc, located in Los Angeles) and one in Europe (Toei Animation Europe SAS, located in France). The leak for this came from their French office and unfortunately, it's not the first time this happened with them since there were similar leaks over other shows in the past.

EDIT: There's also Toei Animation Philippines but that's their outsource animation studio, these three only cover licensing for their respective territories along with some involvement in dub productions that either other companies are doing or they're doing themselves.

Last edited by NJ_ on Sat May 08, 2021 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Matches Malone

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:38 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Ah Toei Europe, had to spoil things with your leaks again huh?

Considering this isn't the first time, I can't help but wonder if this was intentional to build up hype and anticipation.
Dextres

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:45 am Reply with quote
How are they going to top DBS: Broly movie!?

Goku day on May 9, 2021 really has to sell me for 2022, otherwise I'm out with Final fantasy 16 and Marvel Phase 4. Certified.

Last edited by Dextres on Sat May 08, 2021 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Matros

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:14 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:

Because Toei already have too much on their plate. (One Piece, Precure, World Trigger S3,Dragon Quest, Kitaro movie, Slam Dunk movie & Digimon in collaboration with Studio Gallop) Who would make it? All of the main DB staff members are scattered around, unless you want them to outsource it to some no name studio.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:04 am Reply with quote
Matros wrote:
TheMorry wrote:

Because Toei already have too much on their plate. (One Piece, Precure, World Trigger S3,Dragon Quest, Kitaro movie, Slam Dunk movie & Digimon in collaboration with Studio Gallop) Who would make it? All of the main DB staff members are scattered around, unless you want them to outsource it to some no name studio.

I can think of Sunrise to do the job (Sunrise being Bandai Namco Holding) and make the team that make Super Dragon Ball Heroes work on it, also put Shintani in charge and here you go that's done.

Anyway I predict 2023 for the anime to come back.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:58 am Reply with quote
Dragon Ball Super introduced a plethora of new characters, so I hope that Toriyama and Toei don't fall back on old movie characters again. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the Universe 6 gang again. Something on a cosmic scale would be good, too, involving the other gods of destruction, or Zeno.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:18 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
There was a lot of crap in that arc so it should be condensed with the worst of it cut completely from the movie.

I don't trust Toei, based on their previous attempts, to know what's best to cut and what's best to keep. But in any case, the arc lasted 26 chapters (effectively 52 given the chapter length). The Alabasta arc in One Piece is only barely longer, and was butchered in their attempt at adapting it to film because of how much had to be cut. So it wouldn't just be the worst aspects being removed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3