• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ghibli's Toshio Suzuki: Hayao Miyazaki Acknowledges Demon Slayer as a Rival Hit

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weird Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:14 pm Reply with quote
But anime still a mistake according him
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Weird Guy wrote:
But anime still a mistake according him

...sigh.

I get that its a meme, but its was derived from a mistranslation, and whil eI don't mind most memes, based entirely on mistranslations just to be used as a "joke" has become very grating.
Alestal

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Really? No offense to anyone, but to me this is like comparing Sponge Bob to Disney movies?!
Firefly251

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:
Really? No offense to anyone, but to me this is like comparing Sponge Bob to Disney movies?!

pretty much.

You could watch Spirited away or any ghibli film dozens of tiems without gettign tired of it.

demon slayer? maybe 3 times.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Good, I hope Miyazaki makes more memorable
movies (alliteration ftw)
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least we know for sure that he is aware of it.

Alestal wrote:

No, you have it all wrong. The apt comparison is a Marvel movie vs Indie art films.
Madzack

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:21 pm Reply with quote
You can imagine Hayao Miyazaki staring at Demon Slayer for hours and just resignedly sighing "Crap. It really is good" like a pretentious food critic.
SHD

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 3:34 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Well, at least we know for sure that he is aware of it.

Alestal wrote:

No, you have it all wrong. The apt comparison is a Marvel movie vs Indie art films.

How are Miyazaki's movies comparable to indie art films, though? They're hugely popular, they have a relatively large budget (well, aside of the very early ones), they're very mainstream in target demo, presentation, style, etc... I think the Spongebob vs Disney comparison is pretty apt, in that both are animation that strive to do very different things, and they do what they do well.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:07 am Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:

Considering how Spongebob is still a hit (in spite of how overexposed it’s been) while Disney infrequently finds success win their movies?
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:55 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Alestal wrote:

Considering how Spongebob is still a hit (in spite of how overexposed it’s been) while Disney infrequently finds success win their movies?

Depending on how one defines success -- there have only been three SpongeBob SquarePants movies, with a combined box office total of US$470 million worldwide. There are far more Disney animated movies with a higher average box office.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:45 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Alestal wrote:

Depending on how one defines success -- there have only been three SpongeBob SquarePants movies, with a combined box office total of US$470 million worldwide. There are far more Disney animated movies with a higher average box office.

I mean SpongeBob is also only a single series, while Disney is an entire mega company who makes their own films. I'm not sure if it's a far comparison in that regard.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:

There's also a number of Disney Movies that have been bombs. Which depending on who you ask is part of the reason why they've relied so heavily on Pixar's spoiler[CGI] films.

MagicPolly wrote:

I mean SpongeBob is also only a single series, while Disney is an entire mega company who makes their own films. I'm not sure if it's a far comparison in that regard.

Spongebob is a single series that at this point has been on TV longer than most of Disney's most iconic series which nowadays are lucky if they get a 3rd season. Especially the ones that start off as movies and then get spun off into a TV series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1