• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam SEED's Film Sequel, New Game, New Manga Confirmed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 2:50 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Ugh that eclipse looks awful, can't believe their wasting one of the few master grade they still do on that. And it doesn't even fit within the SEED aesthetic, looks more like 00 gundam than anything. If your going to do a seed MS, at least do the lunargazer.

Glad that I'm not the only one who saw 00 in that. Doesn't look like it fits the SEED universe at all. I was initially afraid that it was an upgraded Strike Freedom, but fortunately not.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Hurricane Butterfly wrote:

Gundam ZZ wasn't really bad, but an unfitting sequel for Z Gundam: fortunately, the Z movies wiped it out from the official timeline.

ANT is its own thing though. ZZ's still official to the greater Universal Century timeline given Unicorn deals with a pretty big fallout from it.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:09 pm Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:

Gundam ZZ wasn't really bad, but an unfitting sequel for Z Gundam: fortunately, the Z movies wiped it out from the official timeline.

ANT is its own thing though. ZZ's still official to the greater Universal Century timeline given Unicorn deals with a pretty big fallout from it.

And more importantly, Sunrise doesn't exactly care about making a single unified canon for UC Gundam. Their stance on the subject is "everything animated is canon, everything non-animated is not". This means that both TV series and Compilation Movies are canon, as absurd as that sounds.

For another example, let's take a look at one of the most famous changes of the Compilation Movies of the original: Replacing the G-Fighter with the Core Booster. For the longest time, the franchise exclusively used the Core Booster. It was there in flashback in CCA and Unicorn, and in games too. But then came Thunderbolt, and in both the December Sky movie and the first episode of season 2, a G-Fighter shows up in the battle of A Baoa Qu.

My point is, the people at Sunrise clearly don't concern themselves with figuring out what is canon in Gundam and what is not, so we shouldn't worry either.
Hurricane Butterfly

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:16 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Who said being trashy is a bad thing!?

Lol, it depends I guess. But no Gundam series is "trashy", IMO: not Seed, and not even ZZ, mysoginistic Victory, (good) battle shounen G Gundam, weird Reconguista, ordinary IBO or the 100% commercial Build Fighters saga. They're respectable mecha series, parts of a complex sci-fi multiverse made by expert authors. Calling them trash, even in a good way sounds kinda preposterous.
Sunrise has made plenty of trashy series after 2008, but none of them belongs to the Gundam franchise. Mr. Green
Just my useless opinion anyway... Anime catgrin
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:38 pm Reply with quote
After so long it's kind of hard to believe the SEED movie is finally happening.

I'm guessing if this ever gets released in the West they'll probably use the redub cast, although I'm still waiting for them to announce a release and cast for the Seed Destiny redub.
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Pride by High and Mighty Color was a good op. That's about all I can say in praise of Destiny. Hopefully this is better.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
Its finally happening. Project Ignited? TMR intensifies. Funny how user(s) in the previous article were stating Nishikawa had no credibility, yet everything he said was correct. lol

That Eclipse Gundam looks very Turn A like.

Lastly, Hishashi Hirai will ironically be working on Fafner and SEED at the same time again. lol

Considering how long ago the movie was announced before disappearing again, I expect the very same to happen for this again. Just wait. Besides, two years hardly makes him correct. What's more, though, is that he got in a LOT of trouble for saying that (he even said so on Twitter). This is barely an announcement of the movie being worked on. If anything it's just a blanket PR statement that says "Yeah, yeah stfu it's 'being worked on' and will be out when it's out". But, this has been kicked around since 2006.

Also, there should be a correction to the article. The serialization is starting in Gundam Ace magazine, however there will also be worldwide availability of it in July via Gundam.info as well.

Last edited by Deacon Blues on Fri May 28, 2021 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Victory Gundam is a masterpiece, and suggesting otherwise is a good way to demonstrate that you don't have any opinions on Gundam worth listening to. And calling it misogynistic just demonstrates that you don't know what misogyny is.

That is certainly an aggressive opinion. I would argue that Victory is a miserable, depressing, joyless experience that was the product of a very sad man who wanted to treat ALL his characters (regardless of gender) like garbage and have them run over by giant wheeled fortresses (just throwing that in to prove that I watched Victory and NEVER want to watch it again)...

In fact, just to annoy you, I would agrue that Victory is the worst Gundam series, because at least I don't want to die after watching shows like Age or ZZ.

But whatever, as mechatalk and this forum have proved, us Gundam fans are still willing to eat each other and go to war over our favorite series. Which is VERY ironic considering the themes of Gundam...Eh whatever...
Hurricane Butterfly

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:
That is certainly an aggressive opinion. I would argue that Victory is a miserable, depressing, joyless experience that was the product of a very sad man who wanted to treat ALL his characters (regardless of gender) like garbage and have them run over by giant wheeled fortresses (just throwing that in to prove that I watched Victory and NEVER want to watch it again)...

In fact, just to annoy you, I would agrue that Victory is the worst Gundam series, because at least I don't want to die after watching shows like Age or ZZ.

But whatever, as mechatalk and this forum have proved, us Gundam fans are still willing to eat each other and go to war over our favorite series. Which is VERY ironic considering the themes of Gundam...Eh whatever...

Gundam Victory: the main female character is naggy and annoying, the 2nd main girl is a narcissist, and EVERY other female character that appears in the series is a bully and/or utterly stupid... Oh no, Tomino (regardless all the shit with Maria Kawamura being true or just gossip) absolutely didn't hate women back then.. Laughing
Watching V Gundam and the original Z Gundam first, and Z movies and Brain Powerd after, or vice versa, makes you clearly see how is mentality has evolved through the years.

Ok, I said everything I wanted to say about this OT, now stop being an annoyance and let's go back to Gundam Seed or end the discussion here, please. Eh, people. Rolling Eyes
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:02 pm Reply with quote

Gundam Victory: the main female character is naggy and annoying, the 2nd main girl is a narcissist, and EVERY other female character that appears in the series is a bully and/or utterly stupid... Oh no, Tomino (regardless all the shit with Maria Kawamura being true or just gossip) absolutely didn't hate women back then.. Laughing
Watching V Gundam and the original Z Gundam first, and Z movies and Brain Powerd after, or vice versa, makes you clearly see how is mentality has evolved through the years.

Ok, I said everything I wanted to say about this OT, now stop being an annoyance and let's go back to Gundam Seed or end the discussion here, please. Eh, people. Rolling Eyes

Huh? This comment comes off as you think I am arguing with you and being "annoying" when I am not (as seen in who I quoted originally). I am confused by your tone and layout here...

That said, the final point I will say on this topic is that I think your opinion of Victory is slightly incomplete. That isn't to say you are wrong about the female characters and their portrayal, but I think you are excluding how all the male characters also have incredibly negative characteristics as well and most meet tragic ends due to stupidity, pride, arrogance, etc...

Tomino thesis with Victory seemed to be: everyone sucks, humanity cannot progress, and all these child soldiers are doomed to suffer. What a """fun""" show that had "important" things to say! Rolling Eyes

Anyway, back on topic, Gundam Seed and Seed Destiny have always gotten a bad wrap and I am thrilled by this news of the film. This isn't to say that they aren't flawed, nor are the best Gundam can offer...but they do have positive attributes that often get overlooked.

If you are someone who wasn't a big fan of Seed and Destiny, but haven't rewatched them in years, I highly encourage you to go check out the remastered versions of them (funimation has the sub/dub of Seed on their website). The remaster (despite some bad cropping) has better pacing, better action, reanimated scenes in some areas, and vastly streamlines and improves the experience for both series. Especially the finales for both shows.

I went back and watched them and came away with a better appreciation of the stories, especially now that it has been about a decade since I watched them. Distance helped!
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I wanna watch this for 2 reasons:

1- It always bothered me that Kira and Kagali's past was never fully explained, I also didn't understand why Cagali could use the Seed once and only once.

2- Why Cagalli leaves Arthrun?

The only logical reason I can give is that she wanted to rebuild Orb and couldn't let anything distract her.... but, what is better to join your country than a power couple composed of the beloved leader and a war hero?

It's a nonsensical move from a political standpoint.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Huh, that comment on twitter was right, that sure is a very pointy gundam.

Not sure how I feel about the design though. If it transforms in to something that could explain it's design a bit, which would work, but otherwise I'm thinking it's not one of their better designs.

I agree with some others that it doesn't quite feel like it fits with Seed (00 does seem more like it). I wonder if it's just been too long so it's hard to get that "feel" back, or maybe this takes place far removed from the main factions
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 11:03 pm Reply with quote
In true Gundam tradition, we see the continuation of weird character names/acronyms (All I can see is "odor" lol), and an even weirder comments section. Rolling Eyes
RevyHenriettaRider

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 12:06 am Reply with quote
Hello! Cool
I am pleasantly surprised to find out that there is really going to be a Gundam SEED movie. I look forward to seeing it. I think the other projects sound interesting too.
Sp12er

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 2:04 am Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Gundam Seed is the trashiest of Gundams, but I’m still going to watch this.

Seems that most mecha fans have trashy tastes according to you. Oookay... Laughing
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
Zeino wrote:
That's Victory Gundam and Gundam Age

How is Gundam Age trashy?

I don't think AGE is trashy, it's just upsetting. Gundam V probably wouldn't have been so awful if Tomino wasn't a mysoginist prick back then. He changed for better during the late 90s, thankfully.

I hope that this movie will be a reboot more than a sequel, and that Seed Destiny (not an ugly series itself, but the original plot had been screwed) would have the same fate of ZZ.
Sunrise did the same with Code Geass, after all: the new complilation movies changed some facts of the tv series, and the last film nullifies the original finale (which was kinda ambiguous).
Gundam the Origin too, it contradicts the original series in several things.
I feel like this new Gundam Seed will be a retcon too.

unlikely IMO, as said before the original script for the movie was already done by 2008, I hope they stick to mostly use that instead of needlessly changing things that won't make sense with modern ideologies and fan opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4