• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Zack Snyder Indicates Interest in Making Films Based on Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebronstein

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Easier said than done. As a former film student I've tried to think of a way to do it right. Films like battle angel have tried, but have not struck a nerve (in a good way) with the "general movie going public."
Helix91
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:31 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
I'm gonna get a lot of craps for this, but I think Snyder could adapt Evangelion really well, for three reasons

1.obsession with religious symbolism

2. Tries to be as accurate as possible to a fault.

3. Has a method of taking light hearted subjects and making them way to dark or angsty.

I am scared to make this observation. What do you think everyone?

I think a Snyder Evangelion would look incredible, and parts of the story and tone would probably work. I'd be really worried about how he would handle the main characters. Shinji is very different from your average Snyder protagonist (even when Snyder's characters are brooding and sad they're still manly and powerful at the same time). His track record with female characters is not great either.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:39 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
I'm gonna get a lot of craps for this, but I think Snyder could adapt Evangelion really well, for three reasons

3. Has a method of taking light hearted subjects and making them way to dark or angsty.

He also try to turn it into a Objectivist manifesto which is the last thing Eva or Dragon Ball or any other good anime franchise deserves. That is the rot at the heart of his films. Zack Snyder thinks Ayn Rand was right. Though hey, he'd be right at home with adapting The Irregular at Magic High School.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm of the opinion that the original Dragonball series should get adapted first as more of a children's adventure trilogy with young boy Goku. But not by Zack Snyder.

But I can conceive Zack Snyder later doing Dragonball Z with grown up Goku. At least there's no way it could be as terrible as Evolution. Superman Returns was pretty much DBZ. There's no complicated plot to it.

But this on the other hand...

RockSplash wrote:

Evangelion cannot be boiled down to just symbols, and angst, and unlike Watchmen and 300 can't just be done as a panel for panel adaptation. There's a lot more emphasis on character and relationships. If the cast, acting, dialogue, and direction suck, then it's going to be terrible. Sure, Snyder could probably adapt the 3rd Impact visually, but that's it.

When it comes to Dragonball Z, people will be happy with over-the-top corny dialogue and watching Goku kick ass. So there's less of a high bar to get over. However, the casting should also be just right. Given Goku and co. are Saiyans, he probably doesn't need to be Asian, aside from the obvious Asian characters, but Goku does need to be charismatic and loveable. I think they could probably cast a bunch of MMA and buff types with no prior acting experience and get away with it for much of the other roster, so long as the entertainment value exceeds in that department. 300 is a good example of this.

Also keep the other non-human characters as CG. But don't render them hyper-realistically which is also a problem with Hollywood adaptations. We just want the cartoon characters lit and animated realistically in their environments without a bucket to textures thrown at them or any need to call in scientific advisors to realistically recreate Piccolo based on real life creatures. Just stick to Toriyama's designs thanks.
FiendHunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:04 pm Reply with quote
God no. He tends to make very long edgy videoclips that try so hard to be a movie that just doesn't work.

RockSplash wrote:

What do you mean "accurate"? Accurate to the source material? Because he's very very far from that; he literally tore apart Watchmen, for example.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh god, no. Snyder is definitely the kind of DBZ fan who doesn't realize it's a gag manga at heart.

FiendHunter wrote:
God no. He tends to make very long edgy videoclips that try so hard to be a movie that just doesn't work.

RockSplash wrote:

What do you mean "accurate"? Accurate to the source material? Because he's very very far from that; he literally tore apart Watchmen, for example.

Watchmen was very faithful to the original comic on the most superficial, aesthetic level... which is kind of where Snyder lives. It's the themes of the film that run so contrary to those of the comic--which is the same issue with his Superman films.

You can be certain that any Snyder take on DBZ would treat power levels very seriously.

Nevermind the libertarian nonsense he injects at every opportunity.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Zack seems like a pretty cool guy, but I'm not a fan of his movies, Man of Steel was a big disappointment in my opinion and I hated BvS, haven't seen his JL cut yet. Sucker Punch did have some anime inspired elements like the protagonist wearing a sailor fuku, and some people compared the action MoS to DBZ, though I think it was more like the live-action equivalent of someone who only watched DB from the Saiyajin saga onwards and the English dub version where they toned down the comedy and gave it heavy rock song opening instead of Chala-head-chala.
Anyway, I can't think of an anime or manga which Zack could adapt in his style, perhaps some Super Robot work or one of those violent 80s and 90s OVAs.
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Oh god, no. Snyder is definitely the kind of DBZ fan who doesn't realize it's a gag manga at heart.

FiendHunter wrote:

RockSplash wrote:

Watchmen was very faithful to the original comic on the most superficial, aesthetic level... which is kind of where Snyder lives. It's the themes of the film that run so contrary to those of the comic--which is the same issue with his Superman films.

This, exactly.

Did Snyder make a Watchmen film where the visuals bore a striking level of fidelity to the imagery contained in the comics panels? Yes.

Did Snyder also completely miss the point of the comic, to the extent that some of what he was presenting narratively was quite literally the opposite of what the comic was trying to accomplish? Also yes.

So no, I don't trust him to adapt any particular property where the narrative and themes contained therein are crucial elements. Because the result would only resemble the origonal superficially, and would incorporate a narrative backbone that at best would miss the point and at worst would be yet another objectionable mess in service of Snyder's own unlikable worldview.

With all that being said...

Just give him the right property to adapt. Sucker Punch showed the man is clearly capable of constructing a film that is thematically cheap, hyper stylized, psychologically upsetting, and fetishizes young and attractive girls. I'm sure that without even trying we could all name 10 anime and manga titles that would be right up that alley.

I mean, put Sucker Punch and Army of the Dead in a blender, and you basically have High School of the Dead.
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Just out of morbid curiosity I would like to see him tackle Mob Psycho 100, because that is almost the exact opposite of how he sees superheroes.
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
Folks tend to forget that these live-action adaptations aren't for the fans. It's literally the exact opposite. They're targeting people who actively don't watch anime or read manga in hopes of drawing in a new audience. So they can go ahead and make yet another White-washed, CG fest if they want. We as fans are by no means obligated to pay to see it if it doesn't look appealing.

Dragon Ball is big enough to at least consider making something fans would care about.
dmanatunga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:23 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

But I can conceive Zack Snyder later doing Dragonball Z with grown up Goku. At least there's no way it could be as terrible as Evolution. Superman Returns was pretty much DBZ. There's no complicated plot to it.

It is uncertain from your phrasing, but just to be clear, Superman Returns was done from Bryan Singer and not Zach Snyder. Man of Steel was from Snyder, and the only way I would relate it to DBZ is just spectacle fights with tons of destruction.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
He also try to turn it into a Objectivist manifesto which is the last thing Eva or Dragon Ball or any other good anime franchise deserves. That is the rot at the heart of his films. Zack Snyder thinks Ayn Rand was right. Though hey, he'd be right at home with adapting The Irregular at Magic High School.

Whatever problem's people have with Snyder and his movies, him being a Ayn Rand devotee shouldn't be one of them. Superheroes as a genre overall have a lot of their origins rooted in libertarian ideals, some more than others of course, but a number of early comic creators like Steve Ditko were huge fans of Ayn Rand as well. Not that I want any more American live-action adaptions of manga, but Zack Snyder is no worse than whoever directed Death Note, or Ghost in the Shell, or Speed Racer.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:02 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Dragon Ball is big enough to at least consider making something fans would care about.
What is Dragonball Evolution for 200, Alex?
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Someone once joked he could do Fate/Zero... and I'm not sure it's a terrible idea.
RockSplash wrote:
Soulwarfare wrote:
There are so many anime/manga that could be made into an live action hollywood movie. Dragon Ball is not one of them and I definitely wouldn't want Zack the hack to do it

I am extremely irritated easy to adapt(if in the right hands) anime like Black Lagoon and Baccano will be ignored over literally impossible anime like Dragon ball or One Piece. Like, Baccano and BL are already inspired by American film(Martin Scorsese crime films and Quentin Tarantino action). Why can't they pick something easier? Hell, I think Baccano could be a TV series given how little special effects would be needed. It's even a period piece for crying out loud!

Exactly. The fact that so much manga gets live-action adaptations in Japan and other Asian countries is proof. Del Toro tried to get HBO to do Monster. It's definitely a wellspring if Hollywood actually cared to dig deep enough.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Hollywood had its chance with Dragon Ball and it blew it. I doubt they'd ever regain Toriyama's or Toei/Shueisha's trust back in order to try it again.

Now what about all those other Hollywood films/shows, like Your Name, My Hero Academia, Attack on Titan, Steins;Gate and whatnot? Any news on those?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4